Switch randomly drops connection to port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    Hi,

    This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    switch we only have one in the network.

    Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    and Single SBS Server

    My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.

    It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    environment. It cannot ping the server though.

    All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    show up in the switch.

    I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.

    I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    a bunch of ports. All is well!

    This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!

    About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    switch. It works!

    Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.

    Please help!

    Thanks so much!

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007

  2. KDawg44

    Brad Guest

    On Mar 20, 12:09 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    > I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    > switch we only have one in the network.
    >
    > Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    > and Single SBS Server
    >
    > My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    > had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    > well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    > believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    > in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    > put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.
    >
    > It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    > occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    > network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    > environment. It cannot ping the server though.
    >
    > All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    > worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    > show up in the switch.
    >
    > I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    > working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    > that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    > over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.
    >
    > I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    > switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    > a bunch of ports. All is well!
    >
    > This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!
    >
    > About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    > issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    > warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    > warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    > switch. It works!
    >
    > Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    > working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    > into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide
    details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

    Brad, Mar 20, 2007

  3. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 12:14 pm, "Brad" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 12:09 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    > > I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    > > switch we only have one in the network.

    > > Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    > > and Single SBS Server

    > > My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    > > had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    > > well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    > > believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    > > in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    > > put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.

    > > It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    > > occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    > > network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    > > environment. It cannot ping the server though.

    > > All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    > > worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    > > show up in the switch.

    > > I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    > > working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    > > that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    > > over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.

    > > I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    > > switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    > > a bunch of ports. All is well!

    > > This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!

    > > About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    > > issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    > > warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    > > warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    > > switch. It works!

    > > Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    > > working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    > > into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.

    > > Please help!

    > > Thanks so much!

    > How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide
    > details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

    I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are
    plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches
    are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.

    Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs
    | -------Dynex Switch in Warehouse ----- 2 PCs (since been removed
    since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to
    different port on the Netgear)

    Thanks so much for the response.

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  4. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 12:19 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 12:14 pm, "Brad" <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 20, 12:09 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    > > > I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    > > > switch we only have one in the network.

    > > > Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    > > > and Single SBS Server

    > > > My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    > > > had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    > > > well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    > > > believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    > > > in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    > > > put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.

    > > > It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    > > > occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    > > > network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    > > > environment. It cannot ping the server though.

    > > > All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    > > > worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    > > > show up in the switch.

    > > > I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    > > > working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    > > > that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    > > > over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.

    > > > I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    > > > switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    > > > a bunch of ports. All is well!

    > > > This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!

    > > > About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    > > > issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    > > > warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    > > > warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    > > > switch. It works!

    > > > Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    > > > working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    > > > into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.

    > > > Please help!

    > > > Thanks so much!

    > > How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide
    > > details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

    > I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are
    > plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches
    > are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.
    >
    > Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs
    > | -------Dynex Switch in Warehouse ----- 2 PCs (since been removed
    > since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to
    > different port on the Netgear)
    >
    > Thanks so much for the response.

    Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having
    problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received.
    They show no errors though.

    For instance:
    port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors
    36 698688 0 0 0

    THanks for any suggestions.

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  5. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 12:40 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 12:19 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide
    > > > details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

    > > I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are
    > > plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches
    > > are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.

    > > Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs
    > > | -------Dynex Switch in Warehouse ----- 2 PCs (since been removed
    > > since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to
    > > different port on the Netgear)

    > > Thanks so much for the response.

    > Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having
    > problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received.
    > They show no errors though.
    >
    > For instance:
    > port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors
    > 36 698688 0 0 0
    >
    > THanks for any suggestions.

    Okay, some more information. I just swapped the warehouse PC from the
    port that is working (changed it to earlier), port 45 back to its
    original port that was not working port 39. It did not work.
    Received an IP, but could not go anywhere or ping anything except the
    loopback. Here is information for both the working (45) and not
    working (39) ports.

    39 Auto On Down <-- was 100M Full when connected
    45 Auto On 100M Full

    Port-Based VLAN Settings
    ID Description Member
    01 Default 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
    43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
    Same VLAN

    TRUNK Status
    ID State Member
    01 Disabled *
    02 Disabled *
    03 Disabled *
    04 Disabled *
    05 Disabled *
    06 Disabled *
    07 Disabled *
    No trunks. Should I configure those to switches as trunks? Those
    connected to switches are not even the ones not working though. The
    switch under my desk that is hooked up to my windows and my linux box
    is working just fine.

    All QoS priorities the same, no spanning tree deployed. There are no
    redundant paths.

    Statistics
    ID Tx Rx Tx Error Rx Error
    35 6305536 16417 0 0
    45 6403537 1458 0 0

    Any advice other than buy a cisco switch :(

    Thanks.

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  6. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 12:40 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 12:19 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > How are these switches interconnected. Please be specific and provide
    > > > details. I'm curious if you have a switching loop.

    > > I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are
    > > plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches
    > > are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.

    > > Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs
    > > | -------Dynex Switch in Warehouse ----- 2 PCs (since been removed
    > > since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to
    > > different port on the Netgear)

    > > Thanks so much for the response.

    > Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having
    > problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received.
    > They show no errors though.
    >
    > For instance:
    > port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors
    > 36 698688 0 0 0
    >
    > THanks for any suggestions.

    Oh and not sure if this will help but the switch is firmware
    V1.1.2_05.

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  7. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 1:14 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 12:40 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > I am sure I do not have a switching loop. All the littl swiches are
    > > > plugge into the netgear and PCs and that is it. No little switches
    > > > are plugged into multiple drops or other switches.

    > > > Netgear ----- Dynex Switch in Conference Room ------PCs
    > > > since the software transition is complete, same issue until I moved to
    > > > different port on the Netgear)

    > > > Thanks so much for the response.

    > > Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having
    > > problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received.
    > > They show no errors though.

    > > For instance:
    > > port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors
    > > 36 698688 0 0 0

    > > THanks for any suggestions.

    > Oh and not sure if this will help but the switch is firmware
    > V1.1.2_05.

    2 more ports have mysteriously gone down now. One of them hooked to a
    printer. So I submitted a print job and monitored the ports traffic.
    The sending traffic increased as I submitted the print job but the
    receiving did not. I am not sure if this helps anything. No errors
    listed.

    I find it hard to believe that they would send me a switch to replace
    a faulty switch with another faulty switch (possible but is it really
    likely??) so I feel like there must be something else.

    If it is another faulty switch, then I need to know for sure bc then I
    will go to my folks who decide how much money I can spend and tell
    them that I absolutely need something better.

    Thanks for any help.

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  8. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 20, 2:27 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 1:14 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > Also when I log into the web interface of the switch, the ports having
    > > > problems are showing packets sent but none or almost none received.
    > > > They show no errors though.

    > > > For instance:
    > > > port tx rx tx-errors rx-errors
    > > > 36 698688 0 0 0

    > > > THanks for any suggestions.

    > > Oh and not sure if this will help but the switch is firmware
    > > V1.1.2_05.

    > 2 more ports have mysteriously gone down now. One of them hooked to a
    > printer. So I submitted a print job and monitored the ports traffic.
    > The sending traffic increased as I submitted the print job but the
    > receiving did not. I am not sure if this helps anything. No errors
    > listed.
    >
    > I find it hard to believe that they would send me a switch to replace
    > a faulty switch with another faulty switch (possible but is it really
    > likely??) so I feel like there must be something else.
    >
    > If it is another faulty switch, then I need to know for sure bc then I
    > will go to my folks who decide how much money I can spend and tell
    > them that I absolutely need something better.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    It appears I am the only one on the board at the moment :)

    I looked over my notes, and, for whatever its worth, the replacement
    switch has the exact same ports not working as the previous switch
    (and before you ask, I did not mix them up, the new one doesnt have
    our company asset tag on it yet).

    Ports 33-35-36-37-39-45

    THanks

    KDawg44, Mar 20, 2007
  9. In article <>,
    KDawg44 <> wrote:

    >I find it hard to believe that they would send me a switch to replace
    >a faulty switch with another faulty switch (possible but is it really
    >likely??) so I feel like there must be something else.

    It's Netgear. They'll happily send you a dozen faulty switches
    in a row, rather than admit that there might be a fatal firmware
    or design flaw.

    Netgear has a "Exchanges only, No Returns" policy, by the way, so if it
    was a known product flaw fixed in another switch model, you wouldn't
    even be able to get them to trade to the other model. After all,
    you didn't buy the switch from Netgear, you bought it from a dealer,
    so Netgear considers this kind of thing to be the dealer's problem.

    That said, what you describe does not sound familiar to me.

    Is there someone who could lend you a switch for a few days for
    testing?

    Walter Roberson, Mar 21, 2007
  10. KDawg44

    Ian Wilson Guest

    KDawg44 wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 2:27 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > It appears I am the only one on the board at the moment :)

    This is a newsgroup not a board. Many Gooogle Groups users seem unaware
    of this distinction. Newsgroups have existed for decades prior to the
    creation of the Google Groups interface. Newsgroup conversations don't
    depend on people being "on" at the same time.

    I find it best to allow up to two days for a good answer in newsgroups.
    Don't forget about propagation delays and timezones.

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html suggests how to get a
    faster response.

    I don't know how much your hourly rate is or how much time you've spent
    on this but $1700 for a Catalyst switch may be a cheaper solution.

    I'm no expert in this area but now that I've commented I feel compelled
    to throw in a few thoughts ...

    Since your Netgear switch is a smart switch, what is it's management
    interface telling you about the state of the ports which have the problem?

    Have you used a network sniffer to view the traffic to a problem port?

    Just my $0.02 worth.

    Ian Wilson, Mar 21, 2007
  11. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 21, 5:59 am, Ian Wilson <> wrote:
    > KDawg44 wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > > It appears I am the only one on the board at the moment :)

    > This is a newsgroup not a board. Many Gooogle Groups users seem unaware
    > of this distinction. Newsgroups have existed for decades prior to the
    > creation of the Google Groups interface. Newsgroup conversations don't
    > depend on people being "on" at the same time.
    >
    > I find it best to allow up to two days for a good answer in newsgroups.
    > Don't forget about propagation delays and timezones.
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htmlsuggests how to get a
    > faster response.
    >
    > I don't know how much your hourly rate is or how much time you've spent
    > on this but $1700 for a Catalyst switch may be a cheaper solution.
    >
    > I'm no expert in this area but now that I've commented I feel compelled
    > to throw in a few thoughts ...
    >
    > Since your Netgear switch is a smart switch, what is it's management
    > interface telling you about the state of the ports which have the problem?
    >
    > Have you used a network sniffer to view the traffic to a problem port?
    >
    > Just my $0.02 worth.

    Yes I did sniff on a port that was not working. I can see everything
    getting to the server, and I can see the server responding to the
    request, but none of the responses make it back to the PC in
    question. There are zero responses making it to the PC yet I can see
    that the server is responding. I switch to a working port, resposes
    show up and everything is working fine.

    The management interface reports no errors. On the ports not working,
    it shows information sent, but little to none receieved. On the ports
    that are working, shows sent and received fine.

    Thanks for your responses. This has been very frustrating.

    Thanks.

    KDawg44, Mar 21, 2007
  12. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 21, 11:55 am, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 5:59 am, Ian Wilson <> wrote:
    >

    > > KDawg44 wrote:

    > > <snip>

    > > > It appears I am the only one on the board at the moment :)

    > > This is a newsgroup not a board. Many Gooogle Groups users seem unaware
    > > of this distinction. Newsgroups have existed for decades prior to the
    > > creation of the Google Groups interface. Newsgroup conversations don't
    > > depend on people being "on" at the same time.

    > > I find it best to allow up to two days for a good answer in newsgroups.
    > > Don't forget about propagation delays and timezones.

    > >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htmlsuggestshow to get a
    > > faster response.

    > > I don't know how much your hourly rate is or how much time you've spent
    > > on this but $1700 for a Catalyst switch may be a cheaper solution.

    > > I'm no expert in this area but now that I've commented I feel compelled
    > > to throw in a few thoughts ...

    > > Since your Netgear switch is a smart switch, what is it's management
    > > interface telling you about the state of the ports which have the problem?

    > > Have you used a network sniffer to view the traffic to a problem port?

    > > Just my $0.02 worth.

    > Yes I did sniff on a port that was not working. I can see everything
    > getting to the server, and I can see the server responding to the
    > request, but none of the responses make it back to the PC in
    > question. There are zero responses making it to the PC yet I can see
    > that the server is responding. I switch to a working port, resposes
    > show up and everything is working fine.
    >
    > The management interface reports no errors. On the ports not working,
    > it shows information sent, but little to none receieved. On the ports
    > that are working, shows sent and received fine.
    >
    > Thanks for your responses. This has been very frustrating.
    >
    > Thanks.

    All right I am done with this netgear switch. I am buying a Cisco
    switch. I would like full functionality since I am putting the money
    into it, I need 48 10/100 ports and 2 10/100/1000 ports (atleast). I
    do not need any fiber or anything. Would a 2960 suffice? Did that
    replace the 2950's?

    Thanks so much for your advice.

    KDawg44, Mar 21, 2007
  13. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 21, 12:07 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 11:55 am, "KDawg44" <> wrote:

    > > > <snip>

    > > > This is a newsgroup not a board. Many Gooogle Groups users seem unaware
    > > > of this distinction. Newsgroups have existed for decades prior to the
    > > > creation of the Google Groups interface. Newsgroup conversations don't
    > > > depend on people being "on" at the same time.

    > > > I find it best to allow up to two days for a good answer in newsgroups.
    > > > Don't forget about propagation delays and timezones.

    > > >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htmlsuggestshowto get a
    > > > faster response.

    > > > I don't know how much your hourly rate is or how much time you've spent
    > > > on this but $1700 for a Catalyst switch may be a cheaper solution.

    > > > I'm no expert in this area but now that I've commented I feel compelled
    > > > to throw in a few thoughts ...

    > > > Since your Netgear switch is a smart switch, what is it's management
    > > > interface telling you about the state of the ports which have the problem?

    > > > Have you used a network sniffer to view the traffic to a problem port?

    > > > Just my $0.02 worth.

    > > Yes I did sniff on a port that was not working. I can see everything
    > > getting to the server, and I can see the server responding to the
    > > request, but none of the responses make it back to the PC in
    > > question. There are zero responses making it to the PC yet I can see
    > > that the server is responding. I switch to a working port, resposes
    > > show up and everything is working fine.

    > > The management interface reports no errors. On the ports not working,
    > > it shows information sent, but little to none receieved. On the ports
    > > that are working, shows sent and received fine.

    > > Thanks for your responses. This has been very frustrating.

    > > Thanks.

    > All right I am done with this netgear switch. I am buying a Cisco
    > switch. I would like full functionality since I am putting the money
    > into it, I need 48 10/100 ports and 2 10/100/1000 ports (atleast). I
    > do not need any fiber or anything. Would a 2960 suffice? Did that
    > replace the 2950's?
    >
    > Thanks so much for your advice.

    I am looking at a Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT 48 port Switch. Can I log
    into the CLI to configre VLANs, trunking, STP, VTP, etc?

    Thanks.

    KDawg44, Mar 21, 2007
  14. In article <>,
    KDawg44 <> wrote:

    > I am looking at a Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT 48 port Switch. Can I log
    >into the CLI to configre VLANs, trunking, STP, VTP, etc?

    Yes, definitely. That's a fully managed switch complete with the
    traditional IOS interface. (Someone told me that the graphic
    interface is also fairly good.)

    If you are going to be purchasing with the VLAN and QoS features
    in mind, then you should start thinking about which device
    would be doing the VLAN to VLAN routing. You mentioned that you
    have an ASA; that should be able to do it (provided it is
    at least a 5510 with advanced image). But when you only have
    one of these devices in the network, it can be a tough decision
    between the 29x0 layer 2+ devices and the 3550 or 3750 layer 3+
    devices.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 22, 2007
  15. KDawg44

    t0 Guest

    On Mar 20, 5:09 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    > I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    > switch we only have one in the network.
    >
    > Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    > and Single SBS Server
    >
    > My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    > had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    > well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    > believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    > in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    > put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.
    >
    > It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    > occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    > network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    > environment. It cannot ping the server though.
    >
    > All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    > worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    > show up in the switch.
    >
    > I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    > working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    > that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    > over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.
    >
    > I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    > switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    > a bunch of ports. All is well!
    >
    > This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!
    >
    > About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    > issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    > warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    > warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    > switch. It works!
    >
    > Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    > working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    > into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > Thanks so much!

    Check your cabling end 2 end and RJ45 connectors.

    t0

    t0, Mar 23, 2007
  16. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    On Mar 23, 7:18 am, "t0" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 5:09 pm, "KDawg44" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > This is not a cisco question but a switching question. Unfortunately
    > > I have a netgear switch. I bought a Cisco ASA but went cheaper on the
    > > switch we only have one in the network.

    > > Internet ---- ASA ---- Switch (Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch) ---- PCs
    > > and Single SBS Server

    > > My switch was working great for about 6 months. Off of this switch I
    > > had a single Dynex 8 port switch in the conference room. All was
    > > well. Last week, it suddenly started dropping signal on ports. I
    > > believe this is about the time that I introduced a second Dynex switch
    > > in the network off another drop. THis was to allow a second PC to be
    > > put into the warehouse while we switched shipping software.

    > > It worked for two days with no trouble before the port drops
    > > occurred. Suddenly, random PCs could not get anywhere in the
    > > network. They get the DHCP from the server. It is a single server
    > > environment. It cannot ping the server though.

    > > All ports are in the same default VLAN. Nothing changed from when it
    > > worked to when it did not. It is a complete star topology. No errors
    > > show up in the switch.

    > > I pull the cable from the switch and plug it into another port that is
    > > working. Now the PC works! So I am totally frustrated and it appears
    > > that the switch is failing on random ports. These failing ports grow
    > > over a couple days until I have about 10 not working.

    > > I call netgear and they send me another switch. I hooked this new
    > > switch up last night. Everything is working! I walk around and test
    > > a bunch of ports. All is well!

    > > This morning I check on everyone and everyone is working!

    > > About 10:30 this morning one office stopped working again. Same
    > > issue. At 11:00 or so, another stopped and a few minutes ago, my
    > > warehouse PCs stopped working. I moved the cable from the port that
    > > warehouse PCs are plugged into and snapped it into an open port on the
    > > switch. It works!

    > > Can someone please help me shed some light on why this is not
    > > working!? I am at my wits end and I don't think I can talk the folks
    > > into spending 1700 on a cisco catalyst just yet with my budget.

    > > Please help!

    > > Thanks so much!

    > Check your cabling end 2 end and RJ45 connectors.
    >
    > t0

    Just to follow up, I received my Cisco switch, swapped it out, and
    all problems disappeared. Response times are faster than they ever
    were with the Netgear, even when it was "working"

    Thanks to everyone for your responses.

    KDawg44, Mar 23, 2007