    I wanted to ask that even though these will technically be switch ports can they still be used as an Ethernet WAN port connecting to another device?

    Thanks
    Scott

    Scott.jackson, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Scott.jackson

    pasatealinux

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Messages:
    14
    Hi,

    Yes, because you can configure in the router 1760 different vlans and match each vlan into different WIC-4ESW interface.

    But remember, this WIC is a switch: You can't configure IP addresses over the physical interface.

    I have a 1760 + WIC-4ESW and I have this topology :

    Router#sh ip int brie
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
    ATM0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up
    FastEthernet0/0 192.168.5.1 YES NVRAM up down
    FastEthernet1/1 unassigned YES unset up down
    FastEthernet1/2 unassigned YES unset up down
    FastEthernet1/3 unassigned YES unset up up
    FastEthernet1/4 unassigned YES unset up up
    Vlan1 192.168.5.33 YES NVRAM up down
    Vlan20 192.168.5.193 YES NVRAM up up
    Vlan30 192.168.5.65 YES NVRAM up down
    Vlan40 192.168.5.225 YES NVRAM up down
    NVI0 unassigned NO unset up up
    Virtual-Access1 unassigned YES unset up up
    Virtual-Access2 unassigned YES unset up up
    Dialer1 ---------------- YES IPCP up up
    Router#sh vlan-switch

    VLAN Name Status Ports
    ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
    1 default active Fa1/2
    20 SERVER active Fa1/3, Fa1/4
    30 WIFI active Fa1/1
    40 DMZ active

    Router#sh run int fa1/4
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration : 99 bytes
    !
    interface FastEthernet1/4
    switchport access vlan 20
    no cdp enable
    spanning-tree portfast
    end

    Router#sh run int vlan 20
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration : 137 bytes
    !
    interface Vlan20
    ip address 192.168.5.193 255.255.255.224
    ip helper-address 192.168.5.194
    ip nat inside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    end