    completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
    stuff if I can get it working.

    Flamer

    flamer , Aug 27, 2008

  2. flamer

    flamer Guest

    Thrill5 wrote:
    > Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. Try booting it up in
    > ROMMON mode. I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
    > button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes
    > > amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and
    > > I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when
    > > it powers on.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it
    > > completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
    > > stuff if I can get it working.
    > >
    > > Flamer

    Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
    button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.

    is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

    Flamer.

    flamer , Aug 28, 2008

  3. "flamer " <> writes:
    >Thrill5 wrote:
    >> Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. Try booting it up in
    >> ROMMON mode. I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
    >> button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes
    >> > amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and
    >> > I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when
    >> > it powers on.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it
    >> > completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
    >> > stuff if I can get it working.
    >> >
    >> > Flamer

    >Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
    >button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.

    >is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

    Its failing on some very low-level basic power-on-self-check with bad
    hardware, those things will even keep working when the PHY's blow
    after a lightning strike.

    The switches do their best to go on, but say, if it doesn't have
    working DRAM, its not going to go anywhere, not much you can do short
    of start swapping out DRAM chips out on the board to hunt down its
    hardware major problem.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080125913.shtml

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 28, 2008
  4. flamer

    flamer Guest

    On Aug 28, 4:13 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > "flamer " <> writes:
    > >Thrill5 wrote:
    > >> Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset.  Try booting it up in
    > >> ROMMON mode.  I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
    > >> button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
    > >button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.
    > >is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

    > Its failing on some very low-level basic power-on-self-check with bad
    > hardware, those things will even keep working when the PHY's blow
    > after a lightning strike.
    >
    > The switches do their best to go on, but say, if it doesn't have
    > working DRAM, its not going to go anywhere, not much you can do short
    > of start swapping out DRAM chips out on the board to hunt down its
    > hardware major problem.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_n...

    I had a lot of trouble trying to pry them off the board, think I will
    just chuck this one in the dumpster as it doesnt show any sign of
    life.

    Flamer.

    flamer , Sep 2, 2008