Switch from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bill C, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
    Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
    Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
    Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).

    The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
    install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
    copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?
    Bill C, Apr 22, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Since your package came with both 32-bit & 64-bit DVDs you may "upgrade"
    from 32-bit to 64-bit, but it will require a full clean install. There
    is no upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit and you may have to activate
    via telephone since your Product Key has already been activated with the
    32-bit.

    You can migrate you data files and program setting using Windows Easy
    Transfer. I used this to upgrade my wife's computer from 32-bit XP Pro
    to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a clean install. I was pleasantly
    surprised how well the Easy Transfer worked. You can customize what is
    included in the transfer also.


    On 2010-04-22 15:38, Bill C wrote:
    > I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
    > Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
    > Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
    > Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
    >
    > The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
    > install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
    > copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?
    >
    Bobby Johnson, Apr 22, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bill C

    Jerry Guest

    Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?

    "Bill C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
    > Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
    > Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
    > Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
    >
    > The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
    > install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
    > copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?
    >
    Jerry, Apr 22, 2010
    #3
  4. Bill C

    James Kosin Guest

    On 4/22/2010 4:15 PM, Jerry wrote:
    > Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
    >
    > "Bill C" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I bought a Dell notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home
    >> Premium. I took advantage of the $49.99 upgrade offer for 32-bit
    >> Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to switch to 64-bit Windows Home
    >> Premium (Adobe After Effects CS5 is 64-bit only).
    >>
    >> The Windows 7 box came with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's. Can I
    >> install the 64-bit version I already have, or must I first purchase a
    >> copy of 64-bit vista to do the upgrade?
    >>

    >
    >

    Jerry,

    Most newer ones are, however, it won't hurt to look-up the information.

    Information on the processor can be retrieved from the 'My Computer'
    'Properties' or the 'System Properties'.... varies by OS.

    Intel Processors are here : http://www.intel.com
    search for the Intel number (on my system E4500)
    and look for supporting Intel® EM64T

    AMD is here: http://www.amd.com
    they are a bit more difficult, but try the search.


    I'm also pretty sure that the install will NOT continue if the processor
    is not 64-bit complaint. Microsoft and Intel state that the BIOS,
    motherboard and processor all have to be 64-bit compliant for the system
    to reach the expected performance.

    James
    James Kosin, Apr 22, 2010
    #4
  5. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, "Jerry" <> wrote:
    > Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
    >

    Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
    heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).

    I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
    and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
    do both and installed applications should be available to both as
    well.

    As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
    once for each version of Windows.
    Bill C, Apr 23, 2010
    #5
  6. There is too much content that has to be different between the two, as
    evidenced by the compatibility issues mentioned earlier. That being said, I
    have been using 64-bit systems since XP 64 first came out, and I should say
    that it is MUCH more difficult to find hardware and software that is
    incompatible with 64-bit.

    "Bill C" wrote:

    > On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, "Jerry" <> wrote:
    > > Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
    > >

    > Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
    > heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).
    >
    > I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
    > and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
    > do both and installed applications should be available to both as
    > well.
    >
    > As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
    > once for each version of Windows.
    > .
    >
    sanjacstudent12, Apr 23, 2010
    #6
  7. Bill C

    John Barnes Guest

    You aren't licensed to have both versions installed at the same time,
    anyway.

    "Bill C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Apr 22, 1:15 pm, "Jerry" <> wrote:
    >> Is the notebook even 64-bit capable?
    >>

    > Yes. I had my choice of 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I chose 32-bit (I had
    > heard of some compatability issues with 64-bit windows).
    >
    > I wish Microsoft would make it easier to have systems with both 32-bit
    > and 64-bit Windows installed. A single installation of Windows should
    > do both and installed applications should be available to both as
    > well.
    >
    > As it is now, if I want both, I need to install my applications twice,
    > once for each version of Windows.
    John Barnes, Apr 24, 2010
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ionizer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,523
  2. vvcd
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,873
  3. Alex Griffin
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    7,579
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Jul 27, 2005
  4. TEL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    680
  5. piccolo
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    682
    andrea stupid
    Dec 11, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page