    buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
    exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

    TIA, Jase
    Jason, Apr 6, 2009

  2. Jason

    bod43 Guest

    On 6 Apr, 15:21, Jason <> wrote:
    > I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing
    > the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns
    > of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output
    > buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
    > exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

    Quite possibly, or maybe not.

    Have you tried a search on the terms
    that you have mentioned?

    Please describe as far as is possible where you have
    reached in your troubleshooting so far.

    Align errors may be due to duplex missmatches.
    An align error is recorded when an ethernet receiver
    records an incomplete received byte. That is:- the frame
    did not comprise a exact multiple of 8 bit bytes.
    This can occur on a correctly functioning half duplex
    ethernet network but can never occur on a correctly
    functioning full duplex ethernet.

    I have never seen "output buffer failures". No idea about
    watchdogs. What show command displays the watchdogs?

    In general you should post as much information as you have.
    For example the full output from the show commands
    that are concerning you.

    Conserving information will result in fewer and less informed

    So, please post:-
    relevant - sh int ! or sh int - all of them
    sh buff
    sh mem
    sh proc cpu
    sh ver

    Also, please highlight the items that particularly concern you.
    bod43, Apr 7, 2009

  3. Jason

    Stephen Guest

    On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:04:15 -0700 (PDT), bod43 <>
    wrote:

    >On 6 Apr, 15:21, Jason <> wrote:
    >> I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing
    >> the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns
    >> of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output
    >> buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what
    >> exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

    >Quite possibly, or maybe not.
    >
    >Have you tried a search on the terms
    >that you have mentioned?
    >
    >Please describe as far as is possible where you have
    >reached in your troubleshooting so far.
    >
    >Align errors may be due to duplex missmatches.
    >An align error is recorded when an ethernet receiver
    >records an incomplete received byte. That is:- the frame
    >did not comprise a exact multiple of 8 bit bytes.
    >This can occur on a correctly functioning half duplex
    >ethernet network but can never occur on a correctly
    >functioning full duplex ethernet.
    >
    >I have never seen "output buffer failures".

    3560 / 3750s dont have much outbound buffer memory, and it is in a
    dynamic pool so it can be allocated to ports on an "as needed" basis.
    - so you may have a burst of packets you cannot buffer.

    No idea about
    >watchdogs. What show command displays the watchdogs?
    >

    >In general you should post as much information as you have.
    >For example the full output from the show commands
    >that are concerning you.
    >
    >Conserving information will result in fewer and less informed
    >
    >So, please post:-
    >relevant - sh int ! or sh int - all of them
    >sh buff
    >sh mem
    >sh proc cpu
    >sh ver

    try the commands in the "show mls qos" tree and see if you can find
    corresponding stuff - there are a lot there that show low level
    errors.

    also there are commands to get down to the stats in the actual chipset
    which may have this kind of detail.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    Stephen, Apr 8, 2009
  4. Jason

    bod43 Guest

    On 8 Apr, 20:47, Stephen <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:04:15 -0700 (PDT), bod43 <>
    > wrote:

    > >I have never seen "output buffer failures".

    > 3560 / 3750s dont have much outbound buffer memory, and it is in a
    > dynamic pool so it can be allocated to ports on an "as needed" basis.
    > - so you may have a burst of packets you cannot buffer.
    >

    > try the commands in the "show mls qos" tree and see if you can find
    > corresponding stuff - there are a lot there that show low level
    > errors.
    >
    > also there are commands to get down to the stats in the actual chipset
    > which may have this kind of detail.

    Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Never needed to do
    that kind of think on those platforms. Not had a heavily
    loaded one.
    bod43, Apr 9, 2009