Switch between dialer interfaces/configs in a router ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JF Mezei, Jan 30, 2010.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I have an 871W router with a separate ADSL modem.

    It has a
    FA 1 as a trunk to the LAN (which operates in vlan 10)
    VLAN 10 declaring itself as part of bridge-group 10
    BVI 10 with the IP address of the router
    "Dialer 1" interface with dialer pool 1
    FA 4 interface with dial pool number 1

    The dialer 1 interface has the PPPoE credentials.

    My ISP is deploying MLPPP (in test/beta mode with bugs). I would be
    using a single link MLPPP. (this bypasses the telco's throttling
    equipment since the IP packet is offset by a couple of bytes)

    Is it possible to have a "test" dialer interface with different
    credentials and the ppp multilink commands to get MLPPP, and
    quickly/easily switch from the "production" PPPoE dialer to the test
    MLPPP Dialer configs ?

    There are routing and IP NAT entries which specify "Dialer 1", so
    creating Dialer 2 with the new config might work to establish the link,
    but wouldn't work for NAT/routing.

    Is the only way to write some script that will "manually" modify the
    dialer 1 interface from one config to the next ?

    Is there a command that will completely zap "Dialer 1" so I can re-enter
    a config without fear of leftovers from the previous one, or must I
    negate every command that setup the previous config before entering the
    new config ?
    JF Mezei, Jan 30, 2010

  2. JF Mezei

    bod43 Guest

    On 30 Jan, 06:21, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > I have an 871W router with a separate ADSL modem.
    >

    > Is there a command that will completely zap "Dialer 1" so I can re-enter
    > a config without fear of leftovers from the previous one, or must I
    > negate every command that setup the previous config before entering the
    > new config ?

    no int di 1

    Poof!, she is gone.

    conf t ! first obvoiusly.
    bod43, Jan 31, 2010

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    bod43 wrote:

    > no int di 1
    >
    > Poof!, she is gone.

    Thanks !

    Will the "no int fa 4" also work for a "real" ethernet interface ?
    (reset the interface to default config). or does the No Interface work
    only for virtual ones ?
    JF Mezei, Jan 31, 2010
  4. JF Mezei

    Rob Guest

    bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 30 Jan, 06:21, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >> I have an 871W router with a separate ADSL modem.
    >>

    >> Is there a command that will completely zap "Dialer 1" so I can re-enter
    >> a config without fear of leftovers from the previous one, or must I
    >> negate every command that setup the previous config before entering the
    >> new config ?

    > no int di 1
    >
    > Poof!, she is gone.

    I think that does not really work. When you create it again, some
    old config may come back. Can be avoided by saving the config and
    reloading the router first.
    Rob, Jan 31, 2010
  5. JF Mezei

    bod43 Guest

    On 31 Jan, 10:23, Rob <> wrote:
    > bod43 <> wrote:
    > > On 30 Jan, 06:21, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > >> I have an 871W router with a separate ADSL modem.

    > >> Is there a command that will completely zap "Dialer 1" so I can re-enter
    > >> a config without fear of leftovers from the previous one, or must I
    > >> negate every command that setup the previous config before entering the
    > >> new config ?

    > > no int di 1

    > > Poof!, she is gone.

    > I think that does not really work.  When you create it again, some
    > old config may come back.  Can be avoided by saving the config and
    > reloading the router first.

    I have not noticed that, but then I have rarely removed a
    dialer, probably only because I preferred 0 over 1, or is
    it the other way round?

    I do recall reading about weird magically restoring confg
    somewhere but I can't recall any details - at all.
    bod43, Feb 1, 2010