    seem to be receiving on one of the ports.
    If anyone has anyone input or success with this, please share

    TIA
    pete, Jan 12, 2005

  2. pete

    Jeff C Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in news:1105500835.945495.70800
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Here's something that I can just not find too much documentation on and
    > is just not working the way that I expect.
    >
    > I am trying to run HP's Switch-assisted Load Balancing (SLB) (aka HP
    > Network adapter teaming} on a 6509 Cisco switch so that I can have a
    > multi gig connection between the switch and the server.
    > Is anyone running this successfully so that they can both transmit AND
    > receive packets on all NICs in the team ?
    >
    > I am configured for a port channel group on all ports that my server
    > but the mac address for the team only seems to appear on one port
    > rather than all ports in the "show mac-address table"
    > Essentialy, I am sending packets out of all NICs in the team but only
    > seem to be receiving on one of the ports.
    > If anyone has anyone input or success with this, please share
    >
    > TIA

    Is the 6500 running CatOS? Be sure that the switch ports are set to
    on not desirable or auto. I recall that there is something from the
    server side about teaming and I think that you want to use the other
    setting, was it MAC based? The server guys do that end of things.

    Good luck,
    -Jeff
    Jeff C, Jan 12, 2005

  3. pete

    mvr fu Guest

    "Jeff C" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "pete" <> wrote in news:1105500835.945495.70800
    > @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    > setting, was it MAC based? The server guys do that end of things.

    I do not remember it well, but I think it was a matter of setting MAC mode
    and configuring the switchport not to learn the mac adresses, so that all
    packets for the (shared) MAC are forwarded/broadcasted to both ports.

    Good luck

    Mike*
    mvr fu, Jan 12, 2005
  4. pete

    pete Guest

    I have configured the IOS 6500 for a "port-channel group mode on"
    and that's it.
    When I look at the MACs on the switch, I see that they are seen on the
    port-channel interface.
    this is good.
    With a test, while using the mac xor algorithm, I can see the data go
    down either link one or link two on depending on what I set the mac
    address to. This is what should be happening. I think that it's
    important to note that while testing this, you will not see a marked
    improvement as you test form one machine to another. The switch and the
    server(s) are balancing the data, not doubling the effective throughput
    pete, Jan 12, 2005