  1. I got my new HP Notebook with Vista Ultima x64. A couple of my programs
    doesn't work with the x64 edition, i.e. my favorite Virus scanner, etc.

    How can I downgrade to the x32 version?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Feb 4, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Theo Guest

    Contact HP and ask about obtaining a Vista x86 DVD for you
    notebook.

    Theo, Feb 4, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Theo Guest

    P.S.

    Don't forget that when you purchase a computer with OEM
    Windows OS, the vendor, HP in this case, is fully
    responsible for customer support and to avoid warranty
    problems, HP should be the very first place to resolve any
    type of problems, hardware or software.

    Theo, Feb 4, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I think that there needs to be some education process along the line so
    consumers know that just because they have a 64-bit enabled computer, that
    there are differences which would make Vista86 more suitable for their
    needs. Maybe everyone who looks at a 64-bit computer should be given
    Charlie's whitepaper on the subject.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    The link to Charlie's whitepaper is
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    Looking at what's available from HP, I find no listings for Vista x64 or
    drivers. Tom may have a x64 capable laptop but Vista Ultimate x86 installed.
    Anti-virus programs have to be updated to Vista compatible and as we know
    some programs won't install properly with x86 or x64. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Feb 4, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    HP Notebook with Vista Ultima x64. Looks like he wants to change to 32-bit
    from the 64-bit that came installed. Not sure how he came to have
    Ultimate64, and I agree it is much harder to find, but Charlie's whitepaper
    should be required reading and signing before a 64-bit OS is included.
    It certainly is true that some won't install with either Vista86 or 64, but
    many seemingly innocuous programs have 32-bit drivers. I personally had
    many that had PDF drivers in them and wouldn't install on 64-bit and now
    find many versions that could run on XP X64 but didn't have signed drivers.
    Now they have to be upgraded again. Don't think the average customer wants
    to be registry hacking to bypass the signed driver check.
    Getting close to you getting back to work, isn't it? Last I saw you were
    scheduled to get back early next month. Hope all is going well, and I plan
    to have a great day, thanks.

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    BSchnur Guest

    > I think that there needs to be some education process along the line so
    > consumers know that just because they have a 64-bit enabled computer, that
    > there are differences which would make Vista86 more suitable for their
    > needs. Maybe everyone who looks at a 64-bit computer should be given
    > Charlie's whitepaper on the subject.

    Charlie's white paper is indeed an excellent presentation of the
    differences though I believe it pushes forward broad use of 64 bit OS
    implementations a bit. It was written in May 2006 and suggests that
    broad adoption of 64 bit desktop OS approaches would happen by the end
    of this year (12 to 18 months from when it was written) -- I expect
    that we'll see Vista 64 becoming 'standard' on OEM desktops no sooner
    than early/mid next year and perhaps later than that depending on the
    price of memory and the availability of software written to take better
    advantage of the 64 bit capabilities.

    There is something of a risk for Microsoft here -- that folks will get
    caught up in the 'more is better' mentality and opt now for Vista 64,
    and then will come flowing into the market space with screeds against
    Microsoft regarding what doesn't work when it isn't as much up to
    Microsoft as folks would think. Microsoft surely doesn't need a 'there
    you go again' marketplace environment.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 4, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    Thanks for the concern. As far as I know, my progression is still in
    a positive direction. I'll be having another catscan the first part of
    March, after the results are reviewed my doctor will discuss me going back
    to work.
    Believe it or not Adobe 8 finally finally has x64 drivers and
    support. The installer leaves something to be desired. With Vista x64 while
    installing the PDF printer it can't find the right file in the i386 file
    because it's in the amd64 file, instead of failing the installation you get
    a dialog box allowing you to point to the right location. With XP x64 it's a
    little harder because you have to copy the file to another location then
    direct the installer to the file. Sorry but at the moment I can't remember
    the file name.

    Dennis Pack, Feb 4, 2007
  9. I am having the same problem. HP is telling me to purchase a retail version
    to make the switch to the 32 bit version. But it may or may not work with the
    hardware I have.
    I am trying to find out it I do purchase a retail version do i need to
    purchase a full version or just the upgrade.

    Did you ever come up with a resolution?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Apr 23, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You should be able to use the upgrade version. Vista is a qualifying
    product to do a clean install. If you have a problem, post back as there is
    a method of installing, commonly posted on the Vista newsgroup that would be
    perfectly in compliance with Microsoft terms in your case. You have a full
    OEM version and are eligible to install an upgrade version.

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2007
  11. Sorry to intrude, John, but this is a bad idea. While it will work, it
    produces a bad result. I don't know if MS simply never took migrations from
    x64 to x86 into account or not, but I have tried this scenario on hardware
    and in virtual machines and the result is not acceptible. I suggest you
    download the VMWare 6 RC and try it for yourself.

    What happens is that Vista x86 Setup does not rollup Windows into
    windows.old properly and leaves both the Program Files and Program Files
    (x86) folders intact. This is a mess because the user still has x64 bit
    programs in the Program Files folder mixed in with 32bit programs as well as
    programs in the Program Files (x86) folder (which shouldn't even exist on an
    x86 installation).

    Since the user would be running a Vista x86 upgrade edition he has to run
    from the Vista x64 desktop so there is no opportunity to format the drive
    and get rid of the folders first.

    He needs to purchase a full edition so that he can do a completely clean
    installation.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 23, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Colin, as has been posted and reposted in Vista newsgroups there is a method
    of doing a clean install using any Vista upgrade version. I have personally
    NEVER recommended it for the general questions asked in the Vista group, but
    in this case the OP has a legitimate entitlement to the upgrade version and
    I do not see any reason why they should not be able to do what others are
    doing, in my opinion illegally. I never got any feedback from Brian when I
    asked for Microsoft's position of the various articles posted and other
    MVP's are postings to one or more links outlining the procedure.
    Thanks for the heads up on the problems of installing from the other
    version, so the OP should go directly to the heavily published procedures.

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2007
  13. Unfortunately he is not entitled to any upgrade edition since his
    preinstalled OS is OEM. He is not entitled to both x86 and x64 the same as
    the retail editiions. The availability of both platforms for the one money
    only applies to retail copies, not OEM; not even when the OEM is not
    preinstalled but purchased separately from places like NewEgg. You get the
    one you order and that's it. Sorry.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 23, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    OEM have always been eligible to be used for upgrades. Every version I have
    had since Win98 OEM was acceptable for upgrade. Check it out.
    I agree about only getting one choice for OEM, but he is buying the second.

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    John Barnes Guest

    He also could buy an OEM copy of the 32-bit version for about the same
    amount.

    John Barnes, Apr 23, 2007
  16. Which may be his best choice.

    --