    drought on the weekend. Does this mean I have a friend who keep sending it
    to me? Or what? I don't know why I keep getting this many. Any answers
    would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    BooBoo, Oct 14, 2003

  2. BooBoo

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as BooBoo continued:

    > I have Norton Antivirus for virus protection and Zone Alarm for my
    > firewall. And I think and hope I practice safe computing if there is
    > such a thing. BUT Norton keeps
    > picking up an incoming email virus called W32.Swen.A@mm I have been
    > receiving 2 every morning and more throughtout the day. BUT there
    > was a drought on the weekend. Does this mean I have a friend who
    > keep sending it to me? Or what? I don't know why I keep getting
    > this many. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    You should thank Norton for picking it up.

    What the timing means is that the fuckwits who wear suits, make all the
    important decisions and ponce around thinking they know it all
    /actually/ know fuckall, and open /everything/ that their computers
    present them with on a Monday morning.

    It makes perfect sense to me.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Oct 14, 2003

  3. BooBoo

    Harrison Guest

    Someone who has you in their address book at work has the virus and is
    unaware of it. This is why you're getting them mostly during weekdays.
    It's possible, with the right knowledge, to look at the headers of the
    messages and tell the originating IP. You could then turn this
    information over to their ISP and they may be able alert the sender
    that they have a problem.

    Otherwise, there isn't much you can do about it other than be thankful
    your AV is doing its job.

    Harrison, Oct 14, 2003
  4. BooBoo

    Orion Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:48:54 GMT, "BooBoo" <> wrote:

    >I have Norton Antivirus for virus protection and Zone Alarm for my firewall.
    >And I think and hope I practice safe computing if there is such a thing.
    >BUT Norton keeps
    >picking up an incoming email virus called W32.Swen.A@mm I have been
    >receiving 2 every morning and more throughtout the day. BUT there was a
    >drought on the weekend. Does this mean I have a friend who keep sending it
    >to me? Or what? I don't know why I keep getting this many. Any answers
    >would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    look up the 'swen' worm on the symantec website and you can read all
    about it. what's happened is that it has infected teh computer of
    someone who has your email address in their copy of outlook or outlook
    express, and their computer is now automatically spamming you with
    viruses. i just weathered about three weeks of recieving several
    hundred swen viruses every day.

    what you need to do is follow the link that the symantec page gives
    you to an official MS patch that plugs the security hole that swen
    (and other worms) capitolises on. if you don't patch the security
    hole, swen will just keep infecting you. it's like you've tossed out
    one burgler but left the front door unlocked, see?

    so: go to symantec, read up on the worm, get the patch, and when all's
    said and done, rescan your system using Symantec AV. do this until
    your system reports as being clean. you may, in fact, have several
    viruses floating around your system right now.

    Orion, Oct 14, 2003
  5. BooBoo

    ron Guest

    "Orion" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:48:54 GMT, "BooBoo" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have Norton Antivirus for virus protection and Zone Alarm for my

    firewall.
    > >And I think and hope I practice safe computing if there is such a thing.
    > >BUT Norton keeps
    > >picking up an incoming email virus called W32.Swen.A@mm I have been
    > >receiving 2 every morning and more throughtout the day. BUT there was a
    > >drought on the weekend. Does this mean I have a friend who keep sending

    it
    > >to me? Or what? I don't know why I keep getting this many. Any

    answers
    > >would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    > look up the 'swen' worm on the symantec website and you can read all
    > about it. what's happened is that it has infected teh computer of
    > someone who has your email address in their copy of outlook or outlook
    > express, and their computer is now automatically spamming you with
    > viruses. i just weathered about three weeks of recieving several
    > hundred swen viruses every day.
    >
    > what you need to do is follow the link that the symantec page gives
    > you to an official MS patch that plugs the security hole that swen
    > (and other worms) capitolises on. if you don't patch the security
    > hole, swen will just keep infecting you. it's like you've tossed out
    > one burgler but left the front door unlocked, see?
    >
    > so: go to symantec, read up on the worm, get the patch, and when all's
    > said and done, rescan your system using Symantec AV. do this until
    > your system reports as being clean. you may, in fact, have several
    > viruses floating around your system right now.

    You could also do what I do, if an email has an attachment I just delete it
    without opening it or the attachment and then forget about it.

    ron, Oct 14, 2003
  6. BooBoo

    Orion Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:00:44 +0100, "ron" <>
    wrote:

    >> so: go to symantec, read up on the worm, get the patch, and when all's
    >> said and done, rescan your system using Symantec AV. do this until
    >> your system reports as being clean. you may, in fact, have several
    >> viruses floating around your system right now.

    >You could also do what I do, if an email has an attachment I just delete it
    >without opening it or the attachment and then forget about it.

    if you're recieving that many 'swen' worms per day, it's a good chance
    you're already infected. once you've been patched, yeah, ignore them
    and delete the files. i'm just thorough about viruses (having been
    recently infected badly).

    Orion, Oct 14, 2003