Swen virus - Block Message Rule - How To...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boomer, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©)
    Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    <Quote>
    One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
    as follows;
    Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
    In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
    "Where the
    Message has an Attachment"
    In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
    Processing
    More Rules"
    In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
    "microsoft.com"
    (no quotes).
    Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
    there is
    an
    attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
    If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
    otherwise
    move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
    rule be
    moved
    to the top of the rules list.
    </Quote>
    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Boomer

    Stevo Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©)
    > Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    >
    > <Quote>
    > One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
    > as follows;
    > Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
    > In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
    > "Where the
    > Message has an Attachment"
    > In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
    > Processing
    > More Rules"
    > In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
    > "microsoft.com"
    > (no quotes).
    > Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
    > there is
    > an
    > attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
    > If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
    > otherwise
    > move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
    > rule be
    > moved
    > to the top of the rules list.
    > </Quote>

    Boomer,

    There are so many variations of From / To / Subject etc that it will be hard
    to keep any message rule up to date..

    The other thing is, is if you have to download it to find out it has an
    attachment, then any possible threat is likely to be already in your machine
    already...

    Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL) about email
    borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a sort of reverse engineered
    set of message rules.. anyone in my address book can send me an email and
    it will get to me and be virus checked along the way, everything else
    doesn't get downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
    deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003

  3. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:45:52 +1000, B. Al. Zeebub read a prime example of
    Darwinism:

    *snip*
    > Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL) about email
    > borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a sort of reverse engineered
    > set of message rules.. anyone in my address book can send me an email and
    > it will get to me and be virus checked along the way, everything else
    > doesn't get downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
    > deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

    But then again some of us don't need to worry about these nasty little
    buggers...what is swen? A Swedish masseur gone feral? Ikeas latest gadget?
    B. Al. Zeebub, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    Stevo said:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >> Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©)
    >> Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    >>
    >> <Quote>
    >> One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook
    >> Express as follows;
    >> Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
    >> In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
    >> "Where the
    >> Message has an Attachment"
    >> In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and
    >> "Stop Processing
    >> More Rules"
    >> In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
    >> "microsoft.com"
    >> (no quotes).
    >> Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing
    >> if there is
    >> an
    >> attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
    >> If you use any other rules which sort mail into different
    >> folders or otherwise
    >> move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the
    >> above rule be
    >> moved
    >> to the top of the rules list.
    >> </Quote>

    > Boomer,
    >
    > There are so many variations of From / To / Subject etc that it
    > will be hard to keep any message rule up to date..
    >
    > The other thing is, is if you have to download it to find out it
    > has an attachment, then any possible threat is likely to be
    > already in your machine already...
    >
    > Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL)
    > about email borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a
    > sort of reverse engineered set of message rules.. anyone in my
    > address book can send me an email and it will get to me and be
    > virus checked along the way, everything else doesn't get
    > downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
    > deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

    Better yet....don't use OE. :)
    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Boomer

    Trev Guest

    "B. Al. Zeebub" <> wrote in message

    > But then again some of us don't need to worry about these nasty little
    > buggers...what is swen? A Swedish masseur gone feral? Ikeas latest gadget?

    Nobody loves you baby!
    Trev, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Boomer

    MaryL Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    > Better yet....don't use OE. :)

    What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for newsgroup
    mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this junk. It is
    filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk" mail, but it still
    fills the box in a remarkably short period of time. I use Eudora for my
    "private" mail and have had very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a
    few attempts). I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
    contacts and private contacts.

    Thanks,
    MaryL
    MaryL, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Boomer

    Bryan Guest

    "MaryL" <> wrote in message
    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Better yet....don't use OE. :)

    > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
    > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this
    > junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk"
    > mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short period of
    > time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had very few hits
    > (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts). I want to continue
    > using a separate mailer for newsgroup contacts and private contacts.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    Here's a start:
    http://www.newsreaders.com/
    Bryan, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    MaryL said:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Better yet....don't use OE. :)

    > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
    > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by
    > this junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred
    > to "bulk" mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short
    > period of time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had
    > very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts).
    > I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
    > contacts and private contacts.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MaryL

    Eudora seems fine.

    Mozilla Thunderbird is another good e-mail client.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

    I use an older version of Netscape and have not seen one of these
    viruses. In fact I've never gotten a virus in the mail.

    For a news reader, I love Xnews.
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    Others:
    http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
    http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/misctools/fwbrowser.shtml

    Newsgroup: news.software.readers

    Some popular readers:

    Agent
    www.forteinc.com
    Dialog
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    Gravity
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/super.html
    XanaNews
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm

    And a new one:
    MesNews
    http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/index-gb.php
    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Boomer

    MaryL Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > MaryL said:
    >

    > > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Better yet....don't use OE. :)

    > > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
    > > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by
    > > this junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred
    > > to "bulk" mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short
    > > period of time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had
    > > very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts).
    > > I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
    > > contacts and private contacts.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > MaryL

    > Eudora seems fine.
    >
    > Mozilla Thunderbird is another good e-mail client.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
    >
    > I use an older version of Netscape and have not seen one of these
    > viruses. In fact I've never gotten a virus in the mail.
    >
    > For a news reader, I love Xnews.
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >
    > Others:
    > http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
    > http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/misctools/fwbrowser.shtml
    >
    > Newsgroup: news.software.readers
    >
    > Some popular readers:
    >
    > Agent
    > www.forteinc.com
    > Dialog
    > http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    > Gravity
    > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/super.html
    > XanaNews
    > http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm
    >
    > And a new one:
    > MesNews
    > http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/index-gb.php

    Thanks! I'll check out some of these. Incidentally, I used to use
    Netscape. However, I work at a university, and they no longer support
    Netscape. I try t keep the same configuration at home -- so, I finally
    switched to IE for the Internet and OE for newsgroups, but I have never used
    it for mail. Yahoo has become a monster over just the last few days with so
    much of the bogus MS stuff that the box fills almost as soon as I can empty
    it.

    Thanks, again.
    MaryL
    MaryL, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Boomer

    MaryL Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    > "MaryL" <> wrote in message
    > > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Better yet....don't use OE. :)

    > > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
    > > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this
    > > junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk"
    > > mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short period of
    > > time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had very few hits
    > > (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts). I want to continue
    > > using a separate mailer for newsgroup contacts and private contacts.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > MaryL

    > Here's a start:
    > http://www.newsreaders.com/

    Thanks very much. I'm really looking for something for mail (rather than
    the actual newsreader), but I'll look into some of these -- along with the
    list that Boomer sent.

    MaryL
    MaryL, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Boomer

    Boomer Guest

    MaryL said:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> MaryL said:
    >>

    >> > "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    >> > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
    >> > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by
    >> > this junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is
    >> > transferred to "bulk" mail, but it still fills the box in a
    >> > remarkably short period of time. I use Eudora for my
    >> > "private" mail and have had very few hits (although Norton
    >> > has intercepted a few attempts). I want to continue using a
    >> > separate mailer for newsgroup contacts and private contacts.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > MaryL

    >> Eudora seems fine.
    >>
    >> Mozilla Thunderbird is another good e-mail client.
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
    >>
    >> I use an older version of Netscape and have not seen one of
    >> these viruses. In fact I've never gotten a virus in the mail.
    >>
    >> For a news reader, I love Xnews.
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >>
    >> Others:
    >> http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
    >> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/misctools/fwbrowser.shtml
    >>
    >> Newsgroup: news.software.readers
    >>
    >> Some popular readers:
    >>
    >> Agent
    >> www.forteinc.com
    >> Dialog
    >> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    >> Gravity
    >> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/super.html
    >> XanaNews
    >> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm
    >>
    >> And a new one:
    >> MesNews
    >> http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/index-gb.php
    >>

    > Thanks! I'll check out some of these. Incidentally, I used to
    > use Netscape. However, I work at a university, and they no
    > longer support Netscape.
    > I try t keep the same configuration at
    > home -- so, I finally switched to IE for the Internet and OE
    > for newsgroups, but I have never used it for mail. Yahoo has
    > become a monster over just the last few days with so much of the
    > bogus MS stuff that the box fills almost as soon as I can empty
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks, again.
    > MaryL

    You're welcome. :)
    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  12. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:55:12 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read a prime example of
    Darwinism:

    > "B. Al. Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> But then again some of us don't need to worry about these nasty little
    >> buggers...what is swen? A Swedish masseur gone feral? Ikeas latest gadget?

    > Nobody loves you baby!

    A private mail server and mailing list actually...everything else is spam
    and gets bounced.
    B. Al. Zeebub, Sep 20, 2003