[SWEN tiny FAQ] How to filter out Swen emails with M$ Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Thore Schmechtig, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Greetings,

    since Swen.A first appeared in the wild around September 18th 2003,
    many people have asked how to filter the emails Swen wildly sends to
    just about everyone who ever posted in any newsgroup. It's a bit
    tricky, at first glance it seems impossible, but it can be done.

    Here's how.

    (NOTE: As I use the German version of OE 6, I had to re-translate the
    names of menu items, options et cetera. I hope it's understandable...
    if not, or if you want to help me improve this tiny FAQ, please email
    me with your suggestions. Thank you)

    Swen emails unfortunately differ in From-, To- and Subject-field, but
    you will always find your own valid email-address in the
    Envelope-to-field of the email's header. OE unfortunately is unable to
    filter emails by the Envelope-to-content, but this doesn't matter. If
    you read the above carefully you see that:

    Every email that arrives in your inbox and does NOT have your valid
    email address in the To- or CC-field is almost guaranteed to be a
    Swen-mail (exceptions see below).

    To filter them out, do the following (tested with OE 6, earlier
    versions may need a slightly difficult process):

    *** BEGIN ***

    Open the email rules: Extras - Message Rules - Email

    Create a new rule, setting the following characteristics:

    To- or CC-Field does NOT contain your valid email address (to set the
    NOT, you need to click on the Options-button in the box where you can
    enter the address)

    Action for all emails that fit the above: Delete from server

    *** END ***

    Presto - you're done! OE will still have to download the _header_ data,
    but not the message body with its 150K worm executable. Ergo you have
    much less problems.

    NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

    Mailing lists - at least all lists I know - use a very similar
    procedure to send their contents to you, inserting your valid address
    in the Envelope-to-field and the basic email address of the list in the
    To-field, along with ususally adding a list-typical string to the
    subject. Obviously this will create false positives with the
    above-mentioned email rule that would delete the list messages along
    with Swen.
    Therefore, if you participate in mailing lists, I suggest you do the
    following:

    *** BEGIN ***

    If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
    your lists.

    Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:

    Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
    list email address
    Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
    process any more rules for that mail.

    Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
    Swen-mails from the server.

    *** END ***

    That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
    while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
    server.

    Hope to have helped...

    Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be
    deleted!

    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 24, 2003

  2. I know it may be slightly off topic but my Outlook Express won't delete from
    server although I have the option selected on my rule. I know the rule is
    correct and working because it can move the emails to other folders, or even
    delete it locally, but it won't delete from the server.

    Anybody know could be causing it?

    Thanks

    Shaun

    Shaun Campbell, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Shaun Campbell <> spake thusly:
    > I know it may be slightly off topic but my Outlook Express won't delete
    > from server although I have the option selected on my rule. I know the
    > rule is correct and working because it can move the emails to other
    > folders, or even delete it locally, but it won't delete from the server.
    >
    > Anybody know could be causing it?

    I'm not sure what could be causing it but I followed his instructions and
    it's working for me. Are you sure you selected 'Delete From Server' and not
    just 'Delete'?

    --
    Audio Bible Online:
    http://www.audio-bible.com/

    Indigo Moon Man, Sep 24, 2003
  4. "Thore Schmechtig" <> wrote before:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >since Swen.A first appeared in the wild around September 18th 2003,
    >many people have asked how to filter the emails Swen wildly sends to
    >just about everyone who ever posted in any newsgroup. It's a bit
    >tricky, at first glance it seems impossible, but it can be done.

    Hmm, well, I'm using Pegasus Mail and I use the following rules in my
    pop3.pnp :

    |pop3
    |If expression both matches "*cumulative patch*" DeleteOnServer ""
    |If expression both matches "*cumulative patch*" Exit ""
    |If expression both matches "*undeliver*" DeleteOnServer ""
    |If expression both matches "*undeliver*" Exit ""

    where *both* means Header OR Body (body scanned 10 lines deep) and
    DeleteOnServer means exactly what it seems to be meaning. The "" is
    just a placeholder.
    That rule set saved me from abou 12,000 mails so far while the wanted
    mail along with some "replies" from "friendly" and "helpful"
    mailserver admins.

    regards
    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Franke?=, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this one. So
    far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to a
    number of different email addresses - ,
    , etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie. *@mywebsite.com
    or something similar?

    OysterCracker, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Hi,

    > Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this one. So
    > far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to a
    > number of different email addresses - ,
    > , etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie. *@mywebsite.com
    > or something similar?

    Interesting question - never had to think about it. When in doubt, try
    it out :) For testing, create a rule that does not delete, but just
    move into a special folder. Let this run for some time and see if it
    catches what you want it to catch ;)

    --
    Bye

    Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!

    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Thore Schmechtig

    Derek F Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > > Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this

    one. So
    > > far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to

    > > number of different email addresses - ,
    > > , etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie.

    *@mywebsite.com
    > > or something similar?

    > Interesting question - never had to think about it. When in doubt, try
    > it out :) For testing, create a rule that does not delete, but just
    > move into a special folder. Let this run for some time and see if it
    > catches what you want it to catch ;)
    >

    > --
    > Bye
    >
    > Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    > Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!

    I directed the E-mails without my address into my deleted items folder in
    both OE 6 and Microsft Outlook. My only problem is that it is putting my
    wifes mail into the deleted folder as well, how do I get round that?
    Derek.

    Derek F, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Hi,

    > I directed the E-mails without my address into my deleted items folder in
    > both OE 6 and Microsft Outlook. My only problem is that it is putting my
    > wifes mail into the deleted folder as well, how do I get round that?

    Quite simple... edit the "delete Swen mails" rule to add your wife's
    email address to the list of recipients - meaning, the rule has do say
    "If to- and CC-field contain NEITHER husband at bla.bla NOR wife at
    bla.bla then delete it".

    --
    Bye

    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 25, 2003
  9. Thore Schmechtig

    wayneBR Guest

    "Shaun Campbell" <> wrote in

> [...]
    >>

    >> *** BEGIN ***
    >>

    >> If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
    >> your lists.
    >>
    >> Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
    >>
    >> Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
    >> list email address
    >> Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
    >> process any more rules for that mail.
    >>
    >> Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
    >> Swen-mails from the server.
    >>

    >> *** END ***
    >>

    >> That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own
    >> folders while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your
    >> provider's server.
    >>
    >> Hope to have helped...
    >>
    >> Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    >> To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

    To use the "delete from server" rule, the rule must be rule number 1, at
    the top of the list. If it comes after rule 1, the rule will not work.

    wayneBR, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Hi,

    > To use the "delete from server" rule, the rule must be rule number 1, at
    > the top of the list. If it comes after rule 1, the rule will not work.

    Untrue (as far as I can tell). I have 5 active email rules, with the
    Anti-Swen rule being the last of them - and it works wonderfully.

    Perhaps you are actually referring to some earlier M$OE version?

    --
    Bye

    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Thore Schmechtig

    wayneBR Guest

    "Thore Schmechtig" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    >> To use the "delete from server" rule, the rule must be rule number 1,
    >> at the top of the list. If it comes after rule 1, the rule will not
    >> work.

    > Untrue (as far as I can tell). I have 5 active email rules, with the
    > Anti-Swen rule being the last of them - and it works wonderfully.
    >
    > Perhaps you are actually referring to some earlier M$OE version?

    I could be Thore. Go to this site for MVP explanation:
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm

    Hope this help.

    wayneBR, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Thore Schmechtig

    Labradorian Guest

    Have same problem with Swen...i have OE 6 but.....where is this options
    button?

    *** BEGIN ***

    > Open the email rules: Extras - Message Rules - Email

    I open TOOLS/MESSAGE RULES/MAIL But I can not find an OPTIONS BUTTON
    in the address box as mentioned below?

    > Create a new rule, setting the following characteristics:
    >
    > To- or CC-Field does NOT contain your valid email address (to set the
    > NOT, you need to click on the Options-button in the box where you can
    > enter the address)

    What am I missing here? I can't find this Options Button or anything that
    says or resembles options, etc.

    > Action for all emails that fit the above: Delete from server

    Your advice is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    GLen

> [...]
    >

    > *** BEGIN ***
    >

    > If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
    > your lists.
    >
    > Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
    >
    > Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
    > list email address
    > Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
    > process any more rules for that mail.
    >
    > Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
    > Swen-mails from the server.
    >

    > *** END ***
    >

    > That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
    > while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
    > server.
    >
    > Hope to have helped...
    >
    > Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    > To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

    ---

    Labradorian, Sep 25, 2003
  13. "Labradorian" <> wrote in message news:_ZIcb.70977$...
    > Have same problem with Swen...i have OE 6 but.....where is this options
    > button?

    When you get to the "contains people" hightlighted
    in blue, you click on that to get to an edit text box.
    After you put the desired text, you can hit the button
    labelled "options" to reverse the logic.

    FromTheRafters, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Thore Schmechtig

    Adam Russell Guest

    Adam Russell, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Thore Schmechtig

    Adam Russell Guest

    > Have same problem with Swen...i have OE 6 but.....where is this options
    > button?
    >

    > *** BEGIN ***
    > >

    > > Open the email rules: Extras - Message Rules - Email

    > I open TOOLS/MESSAGE RULES/MAIL But I can not find an OPTIONS BUTTON
    > in the address box as mentioned below?

    tools
    message rules
    mail
    new
    check: where the to line contains people
    check: delete
    click link: contains people
    type in your email address and click add
    type in your name and click add
    options
    check: message does not contain the people below
    ok ok ok ok
    And you're done. Send an email to yourself to make sure you still get
    email.

    Adam Russell, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Thore Schmechtig

    Labradorian Guest

    Thanks guys, figured it out, just wasn't patient enough

    Glen
> [...]
    | >

    | > *** BEGIN ***
    | >

    | > If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
    | > your lists.
    | >
    | > Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
    | >
    | > Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
    | > list email address
    | > Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
    | > process any more rules for that mail.
    | >
    | > Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
    | > Swen-mails from the server.
    | >

    | > *** END ***
    | >

    | > That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
    | > while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
    | > server.
    | >
    | > Hope to have helped...
    | >
    | > Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
    | > To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

    ---

    Labradorian, Sep 26, 2003
  17. Hi,

    > I open TOOLS/MESSAGE RULES/MAIL But I can not find an OPTIONS BUTTON
    > in the address box as mentioned below?

    When you click tools/msg rules/mail (and then "create new rule") you
    get a window with basically three sections to the left. The upper and
    center section are for selecting the conditions and actions you want,
    the lower left one shows a "summary" of your rule. In the summary you
    will at first only find "...where the to- or cc-field contain
    (people)..." because you did not yet enter any email address. To enter
    them, you click on the "(people)" and voila, an extra box for entering
    the addresses. There's the option button you need, in the lower right
    of that box.

    As I wrote in the tiny FAQ, it's a bit tricky :)

    --
    Bye

    Thore Schmechtig, Sep 26, 2003
  18. Thore Schmechtig

    Gregg Dotoli Guest

    Anti-Virus Gateway

    Has anyone tried dual NICing a host,adding proxy server and AV software then
    forcing all traffic though the device at the perimeter? On testing Trend
    Virus Wall, with Proxy +
    the local NAV client was cleaning the viruses hitting the box. It was
    cleaning the virus before Trend???? Has anyone done this?
    Rather than buying a device, if this works, this is less expensive.

    If you have experience with something similar, I would appreciate advice.

    Thanks,

    Gregg Dotoli, Sep 27, 2003