    My mail is hosted with a company that uses "Open Webmail" which seems to
    have some sort of filtering available... anyone know if I can use this
    to filter it before it gets to my inbox?
    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:36:02 +1300, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone else notice an influx in swen?
    >
    >I went from getting 4 a day to over 60, and it's beginning to annoy me.
    >
    >At this stage for spam protection I use SAProxy(Spam Assissign Proxy)
    >which correctly marks all normal spam and about 90% of swen, but god it
    >kills my connection spending 30 mins downloading all these fake bounces.
    >
    >My mail is hosted with a company that uses "Open Webmail" which seems to
    >have some sort of filtering available... anyone know if I can use this
    >to filter it before it gets to my inbox?

    OpenWebMail will let you view the headers and delete the SPAM before
    it is downloaded. I've tried it but I didn't really investigate it
    fully so I'm not sure if it will filter.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Anyone else notice an influx in swen?
    >
    > I went from getting 4 a day to over 60, and it's beginning to annoy me.
    >
    > At this stage for spam protection I use SAProxy(Spam Assissign Proxy)
    > which correctly marks all normal spam and about 90% of swen, but god it
    > kills my connection spending 30 mins downloading all these fake bounces.
    >
    > My mail is hosted with a company that uses "Open Webmail" which seems to
    > have some sort of filtering available... anyone know if I can use this
    > to filter it before it gets to my inbox?

    The ones with Swen are bounced messages directed to random emails, but
    bounced back to you because somewhere Swen is forging your email address
    into the 'Reply-to' header of these fake MS Patches. If the infected PC
    reponsible for forging your email address isn't cleansed they'll keep
    coming back atcha...the only solution in that case is to change your
    email address...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 21, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> My mail is hosted with a company that uses "Open Webmail" which seems
    >> to have some sort of filtering available... anyone know if I can use
    >> this to filter it before it gets to my inbox?

    > The ones with Swen are bounced messages directed to random emails, but
    > bounced back to you because somewhere Swen is forging your email address
    > into the 'Reply-to' header of these fake MS Patches. If the infected PC
    > reponsible for forging your email address isn't cleansed they'll keep
    > coming back atcha...the only solution in that case is to change your
    > email address...

    They are both bounces, and just emails with the virus attachements.

    They are only coming to my news email address's, so nothing to really
    worry about if they get dropped.
    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    >>My mail is hosted with a company that uses "Open Webmail" which seems to
    >>have some sort of filtering available... anyone know if I can use this
    >>to filter it before it gets to my inbox?

    > OpenWebMail will let you view the headers and delete the SPAM before
    > it is downloaded. I've tried it but I didn't really investigate it
    > fully so I'm not sure if it will filter.

    Openwebmail also has a handy mail filtering part... Im currently killing
    all emails with .exe attachements, I tried *.exe but it lests them
    through, it doesnt seem to understand wildcards.

    As it is, it has blocked 18 emails this morning, at this stage Im just
    moving them to another folder, but I will change it after a week or so
    assuming no false positives.
    T.N.O., Dec 22, 2003