    I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way of
    bogus emails over this very trying time.

    Anne.

    Anne, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Anne

    trout Guest

    Anne wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
    > from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
    > but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
    > Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
    > I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
    > of bogus emails over this very trying time.
    >
    > Anne.

    No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
    having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb thing
    to do.
    --
    "But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."

    trout, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Anne

    Anne Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Anne wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
    > > from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
    > > but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
    > > Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email

    it.
    > > I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
    > > of bogus emails over this very trying time.
    > >
    > > Anne.

    > No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
    > having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb

    thing
    > to do.
    > --
    > "But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."

    Thanks for pointing that out to me, I was trying to help, but I do
    appreciate what you're saying.

    Anne, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Anne

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Anne said:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Anne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it
    >>> from the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing,
    >>> but for those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
    >>> Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
    >>> I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way
    >>> of bogus emails over this very trying time.
    >>>
    >>> Anne.

    >> No offense, Anne; but emailing a stranger from a newsgroup, and
    >> having them send you an .exe file is generally an incredibly dumb thing
    >> to do.
    >> --
    >> "But then again; they're probably the ones that have the virus."
    >>

    > Thanks for pointing that out to me, I was trying to help, but I do
    > appreciate what you're saying.

    And the sheer volume of e-mails that you could be facing, 250,000+ infected
    computers around the world, could you really cope with that?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Anne

    Denny B Guest

    May I ask where did you get this utility.
    Is it downloadable from where you got it?

    Thanks
    Denny B

    Denny B, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Anne

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:13 +0100, Anne wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it from
    >the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing, but for
    >those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
    >Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email it.
    >I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the way of
    >bogus emails over this very trying time.

    Offering an exe file from an anonymous source it not the right way to do
    things. How can somebody tell it's not been altered.

    Include the URL of the utility if you want to be helpful, something like
    the NAI stinger, http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Me

    why?, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Anne

    Denny B Guest

    No I have not got the Microsoft Update virus
    but i am sure getting tired of deleting the dozens and
    dozens of attachments.

    Also how come nobody else knows about this solution
    ANN knows about? I find this strange.

    Denny B

    Denny B, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Anne

    Twobtold Guest

    FixSwen @ Symantec Corporation

    Twobtold, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Anne

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:54:46 -0600, Denny B wrote:

    >No I have not got the Microsoft Update virus

    Fine. but it will install (if activated) silently.

    >but i am sure getting tired of deleting the dozens and
    >dozens of attachments.

    That's because others with your address have it and it's generating the
    mail sent to you.

    >Also how come nobody else knows about this solution
    >ANN knows about? I find this strange.

    What solution? Anne said - I have a small utility that seeks out the
    Swen worm and removes.

    The link I posted was also a small ultilty for cleaning Swen and a
    number of others.

    Cleaning Swen off a PC is one thing, having a valid working email that's
    different. Unless your change your email address (and be careful with
    it) you will always keep getting spam / junk on that account.

    There is also the option of a mail scanner utility / OE rules that will
    delete mail on your server / in OE before you see it. Maybe it's an ISP
    using a scanner themselves.

    >Denny B

    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:36:13 +0100, Anne wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hello,
    >> >I have a small utility that seeks out the Swen worm and removes it

    >from
    >> >the computer. I'm sure a lot of you also have the same thing, but

    >for
    >> >those that haven't I will send the zip file if it's wanted.
    >> >Please put ,,, Swen Zip ,,, in the subject line, and I will email

    >it.
    >> >I have been one of the very few that has received nothing in the

    >way of
    >> >bogus emails over this very trying time.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 30, 2003