Sweet CPU

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006.

  1. Ok, it's an old one now. However, I just have to share how good this Athlon
    XP2500+ Barton is. I recently swapped my locked, later model XP2600+ for
    this unlocked 2500+ as the guy had upgraded to Athlon 64 and was intending
    selling it on Trademe. I originally built his PC so knew the CPU was good
    and overclockable and had been running at 2.2GHz for a couple years. (I
    built his new one as well).

    Firstly, I'm an overclocker. Always have been, always will be. Actually, I
    think maybe the term should be 'optimiser' really, I'm not hardcore, I don't
    go for the absolute maximum speeds, I go for fast, reliable, cool and
    stable. More 'fine-tuning' a CPU/mobo/RAM combo really.

    This CPU is unlocked, default is 166MHz x 11 for 1.82GHz at 1.65V vcore. The
    mobo is a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L using the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

    I have PC3200 RAM and always like to run the FSB as fast as reasonably
    possible. I find it has a big impact on data throughput, a lor more so than
    pure CPU MHZ. So I'm reall ypleased that this CPU will run at 11 x on a
    200MHz FSB (giving XP3200+ speed) without having to increase vcore. (All
    O'C's are Prime95-stable BTW). I've set up a few XP2500+ Bartons now and all
    others have needed an increase in vcore to do 2.2GHz stably, some as high as
    1.775V.

    However, as FSB plays a big role in how much work the CPU can do I tried
    running at 210 x 10.5. Still default vcore and stable as a rock. It
    benchmarked faster than an XP3200+, the fastest Socket A CPU, by quite a
    margin. This is still without increasing vcore, the 'secret' of getting a
    CPU to run fast.

    Just for the hell of it I bumped the multi up to 12 x and had to take the
    vcore to 1.725V to get it stable. This is 2.4GHz and mid-50°C range at 100%
    CPU. Pretty damn good I thought. Air-cooled too. I'm sure that, if I wanted
    to push it up to around 1.8V or a little higher, (the highest recommended
    vcore for Model 10 AMD CPUs on air) I could get it going faster. However,
    longevity is important to me too, I won't be able to afford to replace this
    baby for a while.

    Yesterday I did some thinking. I don't actually need that sort of power on a
    regular basis and also I leave my PC on pretty much 24/7 running bittorrent
    when I'm not actively using it. At 2.2GHz, 100% CPU it's runing around 52°C
    and idling it runs at around 39°. However, bittorrent (Azureus) uses around
    4-9% CPU and, at that level of use, the CPU stays at around 47°. (These are
    all on-die temps). I got to thinking about running cooler and using less
    power maybe. I play a few games but none of them push this CPU anywhere near
    it's limits.

    Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x multiplier
    (2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1.8) and vcore *dropped* from 1.65V to 1.50V!!
    It runs rock-solid at these settings and Azureus runs at around 40° instead
    of 47°, this with the CPU fan turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well
    so it's a lot quieter. It idles at 31°C core temp in a 24° room. ("Idle"
    being a relative term, XP is still running 20+ processes).

    I'm really pleased, an overclocked CPU with an undervolted core, very cool
    and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the future, I know this CPU
    will go faster.

    Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try dropping
    the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work up until I got
    no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all fine as-is. I was very
    pleasantly surprised. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006

  2. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Andrew Guest

    Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x multiplier
    > (2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1.8) and vcore *dropped* from 1.65V to 1.50V!!
    > It runs rock-solid at these settings and Azureus runs at around 40° instead
    > of 47°, this with the CPU fan turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well
    > so it's a lot quieter. It idles at 31°C core temp in a 24° room. ("Idle"
    > being a relative term, XP is still running 20+ processes).
    >
    > I'm really pleased, an overclocked CPU with an undervolted core, very cool
    > and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the future, I know this CPU
    > will go faster.
    >
    > Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try dropping
    > the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work up until I got
    > no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all fine as-is. I was very

    Awesome

    i never really thought of dropping the vcore before...

    Andrew, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Guest

    Good work :)

    I had one of these CPU's in my last machine. The guy I got it off
    actually had it running at that speed - I didn't realise until I went
    to pick it up off him (he mentioned it was a 2500+ as stated on the
    invoice :)).

    I never took it any higher, but with a standard cooler it used to get
    to about 55 or so. Not too bad I thought. A lot better than my 1.4ghz
    that used to be able to heat my whole room with the side off ...

    -M

    , Mar 9, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Good work :)

    Thanks.

    > I had one of these CPU's in my last machine. The guy I got it off
    > actually had it running at that speed - I didn't realise until I went
    > to pick it up off him (he mentioned it was a 2500+ as stated on the
    > invoice :)).

    They were great huh? LOL, still are.

    > I never took it any higher, but with a standard cooler it used to get
    > to about 55 or so. Not too bad I thought. A lot better than my 1.4ghz
    > that used to be able to heat my whole room with the side off ...

    The XP2500+ Barton was pretty much *the* CPU for tweaking for a while there.
    AMD downgraded a whole bunch as they were getting good yields but the demand
    was for the 2500 so a lot of CPU that were capable of being labeled 3200's
    were labeled 2500. Half the price too. However, the good times only lasted a
    couple months. Then the 2500's seemed to be poorer CPUs and needed quite a
    vcore boost to hit 2.2GHz. Some wouldn't do it. Then AMD went and
    mutiplier-locked them as a lot of people were buying the lower-rated CPUs
    and getting good speed out of them. It hurt their bottom-line. The top-range
    CPUs weren't selling.

    I'm just pleased I got one of the good ones. A bit like my Tbred B XP1800+
    that's running at 2GHz at stock vcore. That's a good one too.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 9, 2006
  5. Andrew wrote:
    > Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x
    >> multiplier (2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1.8) and vcore *dropped*
    >> from 1.65V to 1.50V!! It runs rock-solid at these settings and
    >> Azureus runs at around 40° instead of 47°, this with the CPU fan
    >> turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well so it's a lot quieter.
    >> It idles at 31°C core temp in a 24° room. ("Idle" being a relative
    >> term, XP is still running 20+ processes). I'm really pleased, an
    >> overclocked CPU with an undervolted core,
    >> very cool and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the
    >> future, I know this CPU will go faster.
    >>
    >> Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try
    >> dropping the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work
    >> up until I got no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all
    >> fine as-is. I was very pleasantly surprised. :)
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Awesome
    >
    > i never really thought of dropping the vcore before...

    Me either really. It's just that this CPU clocks so well at default vcore I
    figured that, as I was slowing it down a bit I might as well try lowering
    vcore. It worked a treat. Actually a lot lower temps than I said in my post
    yesterday. Azureus running now and 33°C on-die temp. The case temp dropped
    around 5° too.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)