Swedish FOTO mag admits test result error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Kilpatrick, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Received this email back from FOTO in Sweden:

    Hello!

    By mistake we have published the resolution in cycles/picture height and
    not in lines/picture height. We use the definition cycles/mm in our
    MTF-measurements and originally we decided to have the same parameter in
    our resolution tests and to cut the value by half. Later (before the
    first resolution test was published) we decided to change to
    lines/picture height but simply forgot to change the parameter in the
    template we had allready made. We actually just recently discovered the
    mistake but it has been corrected and henceforth our resolution tests
    will be published in lines/picture height.

    Our apologies for that!

    Best regards

    Christian Nilsson, FOTO, Sweden

    Whether this is true or not, thanks to everyone on the NG who identified
    this problem, henceforth they will be publishing accurate results.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Apr 23, 2004

  2. writes:
    >Received this email back from FOTO in Sweden:

    >By mistake we have published the resolution in cycles/picture height and
    >not in lines/picture height. [...]

    >Whether this is true or not, thanks to everyone on the NG who identified
    >this problem, henceforth they will be publishing accurate results.

    It's nice to see them correct the problem so promptly when brought to
    their attention, even if they didn't already notice it themselves.

    I am of two minds about the solution they chose, though. By reporting
    resolution in lines per picture height, they are giving numbers that can
    be directly compared to dpreview and others using the same chart. At
    the same time, this makes it more difficult to compare the digicam
    results to film and lens test results, which are still in cycles.

    I *really* wish the video people hadn't started using lines instead of
    line pairs in the first place.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Apr 23, 2004

  3. "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I *really* wish the video people hadn't started using lines instead of
    > line pairs in the first place.
    >
    > Dave

    Does it give a bigger number? Hey, it _must_ be better then. Remind you
    of e.g. Minolta quoting the number of separate red, green and blue pixels
    on their EVF? 900,000+ pixels - must be good. Turns out to be VGA
    quality!

    Yes, it's a pity that proper measurement standards aren't maintained.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 23, 2004