    Swap out the "c" drive with the new one and then do a full restore from the
    backup? How much *pain* am I in for?

    TIA
    whenindoubt, Apr 2, 2004

  2. whenindoubt

    hushia Guest

    You should make an image, not a backup of the systemdisk.
    Then replace it and restore the image on the new disk.
    And don't worry, if things go wrong you still have the original disk you can
    put back.

    "whenindoubt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > Dumb question of the day #2
    >
    > I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the best way
    > to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without having to re-install
    > and re-configue everything? Can I just do a full XP backup to the "d"

    drive.

    hushia, Apr 2, 2004

  3. whenindoubt

    The Prophecy Guest

    Yes i agree, make an image of the original drive and copy/install it to the
    new one. A very good program to use for this operation (although not free)
    is Norton Ghost 2003.

    The Prophecy, Apr 2, 2004
  4. whenindoubt

    James Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:16:30 GMT, "whenindoubt"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >Dumb question of the day #2
    >
    >I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the best way
    >to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without having to re-install
    >and re-configue everything? Can I just do a full XP backup to the "d" drive.
    >Swap out the "c" drive with the new one and then do a full restore from the
    >backup? How much *pain* am I in for?
    >
    >TIA

    Did the same thing myself last weekend - used Norton Ghost.

    Install new drive as a slave, then clone the old drive to the new
    drive. Change jumpers to make new drive the master and reboot. All
    done, no pain, no setting up required.

    When you first reboot I suggest you temporarily disconnect your old
    drive when you re-boot so that you PC only recognises the new drive.
    Then if you want to keep the old drive in place just reconnect it and
    change it's jumper setting to slave.

    I worried I would lose my data (this was my first attempt as upgrading
    a drive and migrating the data) but it all worked without a hitch.
    James, Apr 3, 2004