    If I delete the file will xp generate a new one, or will it crash?
    Obviously needs to be done in safe mode or from the command line.

    Thanks...
    IG, Oct 4, 2004

  2. IG

    Smoker Guest

    "IG" <mac2564@_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anyone tell me where the Swap/page file is located in Win XP
    > and its extension.
    > What are the advantages of installing more ram and disabling
    > the swap file?
    > If I delete the file will xp generate a new one, or will it crash?
    > Obviously needs to be done in safe mode or from the command line.

    Windows sets a minimum and maximum value to use for the page file. It's
    better to use the same amount of storage space for both. Right click My
    Computer, select Properties, Advanced, under Performance select Settings,
    Advanced, then under Virtual Memory click Change. Make Min + Max the same...
    between 1-1/2 and 2 times the amount of system memory. Click Set.

    Under the Windows default settings, the page file can move around and get
    fragmented and never gets defragged because when you run defrag in windows
    the page file is in use. You need to use something like Diskeeper to defrag
    the page file in DOS mode while booting before getting into Windows.

    I don't know anything about your questions. I copied this from this month's
    Maximum PC magazine.
    Smoker, Oct 4, 2004

  3. IG

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, IG says...
    > What are the advantages of installing more ram and disabling
    > the swap file?

    Speed. If its not having to swap out to disk, it saves time. If its
    reading from faster RAM rather than the slower HDD it is saving time.

    > If I delete the file will xp generate a new one, or will it crash?
    > Obviously needs to be done in safe mode or from the command line.

    Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performace, Advanced, Virtual Memory.
    Set the Pagefile size in there. No need to do it in safe mode.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 4, 2004
  4. IG

    Conor Guest

    In article <82025ceec6dc41cdafc1f44e7249b2b1
    @comp.graphics.deviant.ferrets>, Wes Gilliland says...

    > And anyway, snotfuck, trees and forests... what was stated is 100%
    > technically accurate. BOC, you knew that, didn't you?

    Didn't read it. Only just resubscribed.

    Conor, Oct 4, 2004