    Mike
    Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
    Replace dead spam with ntl world to reply by email

    Mike, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Mike

    Rifleman Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > To save backing up the swap file, I am going to move my swap file onto a
    > dedicated drive. 512Mb WinME. How big should I make my swap disk
    > --
    > Mike
    > Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
    > Replace dead spam with ntl world to reply by email

    If 512 MB is your RAM then the partition needs to be 1500MB

    Rifleman, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    You don't need to back up a swap file.

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:24:25 +0000, in
    <>
    Mike scrawled:

    >To save backing up the swap file, I am going to move my swap file onto a
    >dedicated drive. 512Mb WinME. How big should I make my swap disk

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Mike

    Rifleman Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > You don't need to back up a swap file.
    >

    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:24:25 +0000, in
    > <>
    > Mike scrawled:
    >
    > >To save backing up the swap file, I am going to move my swap file onto a
    > >dedicated drive. 512Mb WinME. How big should I make my swap disk

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I think what the OP is doing is backing up the whole C drive, which of
    course would include the swap file.

    Rifleman, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Mike

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:43:58 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >You don't need to back up a swap file.
    >

    >On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:24:25 +0000, in
    > <>
    > Mike scrawled:
    >
    >>To save backing up the swap file, I am going to move my swap file onto a
    >>dedicated drive. 512Mb WinME. How big should I make my swap disk

    I think he wants to NOT back up the swap file. Hence he's moving it
    onto a dedicated drive.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Mike

    WCH Guest

    Are you SURE you're backing up your swap file? What method are you using?
    If you have settings to avoid it, do so. Problem solved. As to the size of
    the drive, are you talking about actually using a separate HDD? Seems
    unlikely, but just in case, I don't know that it would have to be much
    bigger than the swap file size but you always want your swap file on your
    fastest hard drive and I can't believe that a 512MB hard drive would be the
    fastest, let alone most reliable. If, however, you're talking about a
    partition on your existing drive (you didn't specify but that seems
    logical), I like the 1500MB suggestion, just to have room. Then again, a
    few more gigs and you might have room to just burn ISO images of your whole
    drive and be done with it.
    WC

    WCH, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:44:32 -0000, in
    <bvu315$vkluu$-berlin.de>
    Rifleman scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> You don't need to back up a swap file.

    <snip>

    >I think what the OP is doing is backing up the whole C drive, which of
    >course would include the swap file.

    Yes, I gathered that.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  8. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:49:10 GMT, in
    <>
    Dan Shea scrawled:

    >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:43:58 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't need to back up a swap file.
    >>

    >>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:24:25 +0000, in
    >> <>
    >> Mike scrawled:
    >>
    >>>To save backing up the swap file, I am going to move my swap file onto a
    >>>dedicated drive. 512Mb WinME. How big should I make my swap disk

    >I think he wants to NOT back up the swap file. Hence he's moving it
    >onto a dedicated drive.

    You're not wrong.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  9. Mike

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:00:13 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >You're not wrong.

    I don't not try not to be incorrect as little as I can't possibly
    be... I think. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:02:45 GMT, in
    <>
    Dan Shea scrawled:

    >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:00:13 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>You're not wrong.

    >I don't not try not to be incorrect as little as I can't possibly
    >be... I think. :)

    Is that you, gangle7?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  11. Mike

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:08:54 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >Is that you, gangle7?

    Oh my god. I'm never going to live this down.

    He was only up to 5, as far as I recall...

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 5, 2004
  12. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:12:15 GMT, in
    <>
    Dan Shea scrawled:

    >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:08:54 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Is that you, gangle7?

    >Oh my god. I'm never going to live this down.
    >
    >He was only up to 5, as far as I recall...

    You mean you haven't met gangle12, either?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 at 18:59:27, WCH (WCH <>)
    wrote:
    >Are you SURE you're backing up your swap file? What method are you using?
    >If you have settings to avoid it, do so. Problem solved. As to the size of
    >the drive, are you talking about actually using a separate HDD? Seems
    >unlikely, but just in case, I don't know that it would have to be much
    >bigger than the swap file size but you always want your swap file on your
    >fastest hard drive and I can't believe that a 512MB hard drive would be the
    >fastest, let alone most reliable. If, however, you're talking about a
    >partition on your existing drive (you didn't specify but that seems
    >logical), I like the 1500MB suggestion, just to have room. Then again, a
    >few more gigs and you might have room to just burn ISO images of your whole
    >drive and be done with it.

    Sorry the 512MB I was referring to was the amount of memory - which was
    why I quoted it as this should be factored into the partition size for
    the swap drive

    I'm using drive image, and it just occurred to me it's a bit pointless
    backing up the swapfile. There are probably others like most of the
    TEMP folder and "temporary internet files" too

    Mike, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Mike

    WCH Guest

    The clarification helps. You didn't mention your means of backing up your
    files, though, did you? Or does Drive Magic do that (I'm not familiar with
    it, thought maybe it was the partition utility). Frankly, I'd be surprised
    if most back-up utilities didn't automatically ignore swap files, temp
    internet files and such. Wouldn't this solve your problem? From your last
    post that seems to be where you're heading.

    WCH, Feb 5, 2004
  15. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 at 20:54:56, WCH (WCH <>)
    wrote:
    >The clarification helps. You didn't mention your means of backing up your
    >files, though, did you? Or does Drive Magic do that (I'm not familiar with
    >it, thought maybe it was the partition utility). Frankly, I'd be surprised
    >if most back-up utilities didn't automatically ignore swap files, temp
    >internet files and such. Wouldn't this solve your problem? From your last
    >post that seems to be where you're heading.

    No Drive Image (like Norton Ghost) does exactly what it says on the tin
    - it takes an entire image of the specified partitions

    If building a lot of PC's from scratch, actually restoring a formatted
    swapfile may be a good thing

    Mike, Feb 5, 2004