    I have an older HP Vectra VLi8 desktop computer and I would like to
    remove the contents put it into a newer more attractive tower. Is this
    possible and what do I need to know before starting this project?

    udz2002, Mar 31, 2008

  2. udz2002

    philo Guest

    "udz2002" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an older HP Vectra VLi8 desktop computer and I would like to
    > remove the contents put it into a newer more attractive tower. Is this
    > possible and what do I need to know before starting this project?

    Of course it's possible. Your new case simply needs to be of the same
    formfactor
    and large enough to hold the old motherboard. Most machines are the ATX
    formfactor
    and quite standard.

    However...why bother?

    If the computer is old...what difference could it possibly make what it
    looks like?
    I'd just continue to use the machine as it is...
    and if it eventually becomes un-useful...just build a new one

    philo, Mar 31, 2008

  3. udz2002

    PeeCee Guest

    "udz2002" <> wrote in message
    >I have an older HP Vectra VLi8 desktop computer and I would like to
    > remove the contents put it into a newer more attractive tower. Is this
    > possible and what do I need to know before starting this project?

    All depends.
    From what I can see here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=60171
    it appears the Vectra is a small form factor PC.
    It is not uncommon for their parts to be 'special' ie built to suit the
    dimensions not a standard like ATX.

    For example you will have to consider:
    a) the motherboard having the same layout and mountings.
    b) The power supply being suitable.
    c) Optical drive fitting in the new case.

    Only a side by side comparison will tell you.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 31, 2008
  4. udz2002

    Plato Guest

    udz2002 wrote:

    > I have an older HP Vectra VLi8 desktop computer and I would like to
    > remove the contents put it into a newer more attractive tower. Is this
    > possible and what do I need to know before starting this project?

    You can save the data that's about is.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 31, 2008
  5. udz2002

    chuckcar Guest

    udz2002 <> wrote in

    > I have an older HP Vectra VLi8 desktop computer and I would like to
    > remove the contents put it into a newer more attractive tower. Is this
    > possible and what do I need to know before starting this project?

    The only reasons for doing so are a) insufficient power supply - say
    from a name brand "consumer" computer such as Dell, Gateway, IBM etc. b)
    if you've run out of drive slots and want to insert another drive c)
    your case doesn't have sufficient ports for the card slots. In any of
    the above cases, remove everything from the motherboard (with an
    antistatic leash grounded to you) *inluding* all ram and the processor,
    put it in an anti-static bag and bring it with you when you go to the
    store as you may have a problem with things like the USB ports if
    they're attached to the motherboard. Take your time taking the computer
    apart, don't count on taking only one day for the transfer, and step
    away if you get angry and only come back when you calm down. Take your
    time, if you break anything, the motherboard is shot period. You will
    need a phillips #1 and probably #2 screwdriver.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 1, 2008
  6. udz2002

    Guest

    I was going to transplant a HP Vectra (different model) to an ATX case
    a few years ago, and found that there was a non-standard connection
    from mobo to PSU (fan speed I think) that if unplugged would prevent
    the box from booting and halt at an error msg. Obviously a new ATX
    tower would not have this lead.

    Rather than experiment with shorting pins etc (to make the mobo run
    without this connection) and risk causing damage, I decided to leave
    well alone.

    You may want to check if your Vectra has such a cable.

    My Vectra is still going strong - as a Smoothwall Express 2 external
    firewall

    , Apr 2, 2008
  7. udz2002

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > I was going to transplant a HP Vectra (different model) to an ATX case
    > a few years ago, and found that there was a non-standard connection
    > from mobo to PSU (fan speed I think) that if unplugged would prevent
    > the box from booting and halt at an error msg. Obviously a new ATX
    > tower would not have this lead.
    >
    > Rather than experiment with shorting pins etc (to make the mobo run
    > without this connection) and risk causing damage, I decided to leave
    > well alone.
    >
    > You may want to check if your Vectra has such a cable.
    >
    > My Vectra is still going strong - as a Smoothwall Express 2 external
    > firewall

    I don't *have* a Vectra. Reply to the OP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 2, 2008