Swain on Holmes tonite at 7pm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Smithers, May 19, 2004.

  1. Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!
    Waylon Smithers, May 19, 2004

  2. Waylon Smithers

    steve Guest

    Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    I've been missing it. Can't stomach Holmes.
    steve, May 19, 2004

  3. Waylon Smithers

    PseUDO Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >
    >> Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    > I've been missing it. Can't stomach Holmes.

    Excellent debate ,Annette Presley from Slingshot even told the minister
    he was talking "bullshit" !

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, May 19, 2004
  4. Waylon Smithers

    GJ Guest

    Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    Swain sounded like an idiot. The only point he made was regarding
    Broadband and it was not available over the Copper lines telecom
    controls. He did not even address the issues of voice, tolls and
    comparable services available in OZ

    The lady from Telstra Clear pointed out:
    - This deal gave competitors access to old slow technology
    - This technology was 40 times slower than that available in OZ
    - This deal did noting for voice
    - If voice was available tolls would be reduced by 50% almost overnight.
    - Paul Swain has mentioned that Telecom are on notice but it was pointed
    out that they have been on notice for 14 years and the effect has been
    about zilch.

    The lady from slingshot pointed out:
    - The offer VOIP phones for as low as $2.95 per month in OZ
    - With VOIP toll charges can be as low as $0
    - NZ along with Mexico are the only countries in the OECD not to have
    unbundled the local loop (Might want to check my recollection on this)
    - 90% of NZers have no choice for voice services

    The end resulted in Paul Swain looked like an idiot who parrotted on
    about one point that was totally negated by the arguments of the Telsta
    Clear and Slingshot representatives and he did not respond to any of
    their challenges or points. Basically, no benefits for NZers.

    GJ
    GJ, May 19, 2004
  5. Waylon Smithers

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:
    > > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > >
    > >> Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    > > I've been missing it. Can't stomach Holmes.

    > Excellent debate ,Annette Presley from Slingshot even told the minister
    > he was talking "bullshit" !
    >
    > PseUDO

    She's only a mouse that makes a lot of noise - good for a laugh though.
    Slingshot hasn't even got the money to provide their own newsgroup service.
    Slingshot pays a fee to use ihug's news server.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2004
  6. Waylon Smithers

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "GJ" <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz> wrote in message

    > The lady from Telstra Clear pointed out:
    > - This deal gave competitors access to old slow technology

    The one thing that she didn't manage to answer is: "If Telecom only has all
    the 'old technology', why are Telstra Clear so keen to get hold of it"?

    Frankly, i don't particularly like Telecom, but TelstraClear have done ****
    all since coming here. If they put even a quarter as much effort into their
    network as they have into litigation and slamming Telecom, we'd have the
    world's most advanced telecoms network.

    The unbundling decision seems like Hobson's choice to me. If the govt did
    unbundle, you can bet that Telecom would have them in the courts for the
    rest of their days, getting compensation for losses under the KSO. It's far
    easier to palm off a couple of feisty newcomers who can't do diddley about
    it. Meantime, the consumer suffers at the hands of another government
    fuckup.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Never trust a woman or a government"
    Mr Scebe, May 19, 2004
  7. Waylon Smithers

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "steve" <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    > > Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    > I've been missing it. Can't stomach Holmes.

    No you can't stomach how stupid this govt looks because of their decision
    not to unbundle.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Personally i think you're a fucking idiot"
    Mr Scebe, May 19, 2004
  8. Waylon Smithers

    Richard Guest

    Waylon Smithers wrote:

    > Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    Anyone tape this that can make an encode of it?
    Richard, May 19, 2004
  9. Waylon Smithers

    Wyn Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >> Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    > I've been missing it. Can't stomach Holmes.

    Neither can I. They could put Francis the Talking Mule on and he would
    draw just as high a rating because the people who watch TV1 news can't
    be bothered switching channels. Also the other channels don't even try
    to compete - they've given up the fight.
    Wyn, May 19, 2004
  10. Waylon Smithers

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:18:54 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >
    >> Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    >Anyone tape this that can make an encode of it?

    I recorded it on the computer. Anyone know of a bittorrent tracker that I can
    use, i'm quite happy to seed it.
    Craig Shore, May 19, 2004
  11. Waylon Smithers

    Richard Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:18:54 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    >>Waylon Smithers wrote:
    >>

    >>>Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    >>Anyone tape this that can make an encode of it?

    > I recorded it on the computer. Anyone know of a bittorrent tracker that I can
    > use, i'm quite happy to seed it.

    Otherwise if you want to let me know what it takes to run a bittorrent tracker
    on a windows box I can install one on a machine I have accessto on a fast connection
    Richard, May 19, 2004
  12. Waylon Smithers

    joe_90 Guest

    GJ wrote:
    > - 90% of NZers have no choice for voice services

    and consequently were paying ~$84 too much each year because Telecom can
    somehow manage to charge lower line rentals in areas where there is
    competition (and that alone is scandalous, before considering this
    latest piece of crock).

    Just goes to show what a big fish in a small pond can get away with -
    plenty of high level 'lobbying' and the govt. runs scared.

    Wrong decision for the wrong reasons IMHO.
    joe_90, May 19, 2004
  13. Waylon Smithers

    Richard Guest

    joe_90 wrote:

    > GJ wrote:
    >
    >> - 90% of NZers have no choice for voice services

    > and consequently were paying ~$84 too much each year because Telecom can
    > somehow manage to charge lower line rentals in areas where there is
    > competition (and that alone is scandalous, before considering this
    > latest piece of crock).

    The $84 thing is a crock. If I want any form of ADSL, I am _forced_ to pay at
    least $25ish a month too much, to get a service I do not want - thats $300 a
    year. Much more a problem then the $84 difference in a local line in telsraclear
    served areas that people that want a fixed phone service pay.

    I would go as far as saying 95% of New Zealanders do have a choice in voice
    providers, its just not a very popular choice to replace a landline with a
    mobile, but one that is becoming more and more common among my peers.

    Richard, May 19, 2004
  14. Waylon Smithers

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:07:22 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:

    >>>Anyone tape this that can make an encode of it?

    >> I recorded it on the computer. Anyone know of a bittorrent tracker that I can
    >> use, i'm quite happy to seed it.

    >Otherwise if you want to let me know what it takes to run a bittorrent tracker
    >on a windows box I can install one on a machine I have accessto on a fast connection

    Good idea, i'll do that myself.
    Craig Shore, May 19, 2004
  15. On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:29:26 +1200, Waylon Smithers wrote:

    > Talking about unbundling local loop, and why it is "crazy talk" !!

    It's crazy talk because he's being paid off to retain the status quo.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 19, 2004
  16. Waylon Smithers

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:07:22 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:

    >>>Anyone tape this that can make an encode of it?

    >> I recorded it on the computer. Anyone know of a bittorrent tracker that I can
    >> use, i'm quite happy to seed it.

    >Otherwise if you want to let me know what it takes to run a bittorrent tracker
    >on a windows box I can install one on a machine I have accessto on a fast connection

    Try this, not sure if it will work or not as I had to access it, create the
    torrent refering to, and upload it to "localhost". If you have to log in to get
    it use login guest, password guest.

    http://zest.dtdns.net:6969/
    Craig Shore, May 19, 2004
  17. Waylon Smithers

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:29:10 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    wrote:

    >>> I recorded it on the computer. Anyone know of a bittorrent tracker that I can
    >>> use, i'm quite happy to seed it.

    Meant to say, the file is divx, 28mb.

    A good bittorrent client is ABC
    http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
    Craig Shore, May 19, 2004
  18. Waylon Smithers

    joe_90 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > The $84 thing is a crock. If I want any form of ADSL, I am _forced_ to
    > pay at least $25ish a month too much, to get a service I do not want -
    > thats $300 a year. Much more a problem then the $84 difference in a
    > local line in telsraclear served areas that people that want a fixed
    > phone service pay.

    Point taken, but in terms of the size of the Telecom gouge the line
    rental is a much bigger take as it applies to a large proportion of
    their customers. In your example it only applies to those that want ADSL
    /without/ the fixed phone service (and I think many people would
    consider 'free' local calls an asset in this scenario).
    joe_90, May 19, 2004
  19. Swainy did not really know what he was talking about...he looked
    particularly unhappy trying to justify the decision.

    The guy they should have had in the firing line, was this douglas webb
    character.

    "Waylon Smithers" <.> wrote in
    message news:c8euri$am1$...

    Jed Meisterdude, May 19, 2004