    damage as a result?

    Thanks

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Might be a good question to ask Canon's service people. Only an answer from
    them will ensure you do not void your warranty.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Jan 7, 2005

  3. "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have now learned that ALL owners of Canon 10D and 20D and Nikon's various
    > DSLR owners will eventually have dust on their CMOS sensors. This dust
    > will
    > eventually show up on pictures. This is not a possibility..........
    > Unfortunately it is a fact.

    Eventually is wrong- most 20Ds i've seen haven't made it out of the box
    without picking up dust or marks on the filter.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Jimmy Smith

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    "Bill Crocker" <> wrote in message
    > Might be a good question to ask Canon's service people. Only an answer

    from
    > them will ensure you do not void your warranty.

    For the greater public I would agree with you Bill. But, I would still like
    to know the personal experiences of the board members. First, Canon charges
    an arm and a leg to clean the senson so they have a vested interest in
    telling you not to touch it....... They will touch it.

    Also, commonsense dictates if they tell people that they can touch the
    sensor, they have not control at all as to how it will be touched and
    everyone will be sticking their thumbs in there and really gum up the works
    under warranty since Canon gave every Tom, Dick and Harry the go ahead.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Jimmy Smith

    Crownfield Guest

    Jimmy Smith wrote:

    go to
    http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm
    and see what they say about cleaning sensors.

    "PEC*PAD is not recommended for cleaning the CCD.
    It is not the same material used in the Sensor Swabs.
    PSI does not approve ... using non approved products."
    "

    Crownfield, Jan 8, 2005
  6. On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:51:00 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
    <> wrote:

    >Might be a good question to ask Canon's service people. Only an answer from
    >them will ensure you do not void your warranty.
    >
    >Bill Crocker
    >

    >"Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>I have now learned that ALL owners of Canon 10D and 20D and Nikon's various
    >> DSLR owners will eventually have dust on their CMOS sensors. This dust
    >> will
    >> eventually show up on pictures. This is not a possibility..........
    >> Unfortunately it is a fact.
    >>
    >> I have a 10D and have now blown the dust off with a little hand powered
    >> blower but I am thinking of "swabbing" the sensor to get absolutely dust
    >> free sensor pictures. I am going to use a tiny spatula type device, some
    >> PecPads and some Eclipse cleaner.
    >>
    >> What I would like to know, is if anybody here has used this swabbing
    >> method
    >> and what were your results? Have any of you suffered permanant camera
    >> damage as a result?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jimmy

    Many DSLR owners that participate in this newsgroup appear to have
    decided to clean their sensors themselves including myself. The odds
    are that someone has (shall we say) erred and have caused some damage.
    I don't think that they are going to broadcast the news. They will be
    trotting off to Ebay fobbing the damaged goods off to some poor
    unfortunate.
    It is quite an easy task just complete concentration and a steady
    hand are esential .
    eric phillips

    eric phillips, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Jimmy Smith

    ZONED! Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Might be a good question to ask Canon's service people. Only an answer from
    >them will ensure you do not void your warranty.
    >
    >Bill Crocker

    Just curious, have you had much dealings with Canon service dept.?

    ZONED!, Jan 8, 2005
  8. "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I have now learned that ALL owners of Canon 10D and 20D and Nikon's various
    > DSLR owners will eventually have dust on their CMOS sensors. This dust
    > will
    > eventually show up on pictures. This is not a possibility..........
    > Unfortunately it is a fact.
    >
    > I have a 10D and have now blown the dust off with a little hand powered
    > blower but I am thinking of "swabbing" the sensor to get absolutely dust
    > free sensor pictures. I am going to use a tiny spatula type device, some
    > PecPads and some Eclipse cleaner.
    >
    > What I would like to know, is if anybody here has used this swabbing
    > method
    > and what were your results? Have any of you suffered permanant camera
    > damage as a result?

    Cleaning a dSLR sensor is portrayed by many as some big mystery process
    fraught with danger and not something the common man should attempt. Sheesh.

    Nothing to it.

    First step is is to blow off the sensor with a bulb-blower (no brus) such as
    the Giotto Rocket. This gets rid of most of the dust most of the time.
    Beyond blowers, there are two methods commonly used for actual cleaing: One
    is PecPads on a "Sensor Swipe", or Sensor Swabs ( http://tinyurl.com/46c5e),
    with just a drop or two of Eclipse cleaning fluid, as in the "Copperhill
    method" . Look at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning . Despite
    info to the contrary, PecPads on a spatula work just fine.

    The other method is using Sensor Brush, and this is really been the
    up-and-coming method with the pros. Look at
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jan 8, 2005
  9. "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message
    SNIP

    > Eventually is wrong- most 20Ds i've seen haven't made it out of the
    > box without picking up dust or marks on the filter.

    The 20D is not different from any other camera in that respect.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 8, 2005
  10. Jimmy Smith

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin Francis" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >
    >> Eventually is wrong- most 20Ds i've seen haven't made it out of the box
    >> without picking up dust or marks on the filter.

    > The 20D is not different from any other camera in that respect.
    >
    > Bart

    I looked at my 20D - two 1/2 months old - for the first time. I took a shot
    of the sky and was amazed at the crap on the sensor. I ordered a sensor
    cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images, after hearing about it on this forum.
    I hope it does the trick.

    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Jimmy Smith

    Roger Guest

    On 8 Jan 2005 09:40:06 -0600, "Howard McCollister" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>I have now learned that ALL owners of Canon 10D and 20D and Nikon's various
    >> DSLR owners will eventually have dust on their CMOS sensors. This dust
    >> will
    >> eventually show up on pictures. This is not a possibility..........
    >> Unfortunately it is a fact.
    >>
    >> I have a 10D and have now blown the dust off with a little hand powered
    >> blower but I am thinking of "swabbing" the sensor to get absolutely dust
    >> free sensor pictures. I am going to use a tiny spatula type device, some
    >> PecPads and some Eclipse cleaner.
    >>
    >> What I would like to know, is if anybody here has used this swabbing
    >> method
    >> and what were your results? Have any of you suffered permanant camera
    >> damage as a result?
    >>

    >Cleaning a dSLR sensor is portrayed by many as some big mystery process
    >fraught with danger and not something the common man should attempt. Sheesh.
    >
    >Nothing to it.
    >
    >First step is is to blow off the sensor with a bulb-blower (no brus) such as
    >the Giotto Rocket. This gets rid of most of the dust most of the time.
    >Beyond blowers, there are two methods commonly used for actual cleaing: One
    >is PecPads on a "Sensor Swipe", or Sensor Swabs ( http://tinyurl.com/46c5e),
    >with just a drop or two of Eclipse cleaning fluid, as in the "Copperhill
    >method" . Look at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning . Despite
    >info to the contrary, PecPads on a spatula work just fine.
    >
    >The other method is using Sensor Brush, and this is really been the
    >up-and-coming method with the pros. Look at
    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

    It's of no use to me unless they tell me how much it costs. They just
    say it isn't cheap. If it's $5 or $50 I want to know up front. If I
    need it I'll get it in either case. I hold the same approach on sales.
    If the price isn't up front I quit reading. It's one of my pet
    peeves.

    BTW, I've been using a D-70 since the fist week they came out. I've
    had to clean dust spots off the sensor just once and it gets a lot of
    lens changes.

    Eventually it will have to be cleaned, but so far I've been lucky.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Jan 9, 2005
  12. "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > On 8 Jan 2005 09:40:06 -0600, "Howard McCollister"
    > <>
    > wrote:

    SNIP
    >>The other method is using Sensor Brush, and this is
    >>really been the up-and-coming method with the pros.
    >>Look at
    >><http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296>

    > It's of no use to me unless they tell me how much it costs.
    > They just say it isn't cheap. If it's $5 or $50 I want to know
    > up front. If I need it I'll get it in either case. I hold the same
    > approach on sales. If the price isn't up front I quit reading.
    > It's one of my pet peeves.

    Assuming that with "they" you mean Rob Galbraith? He doesn't run a
    price list for other companies. So you could check yourself which of
    the (currently) nine different kits you need/like at:
    <https://visibledustca.secure.powweb.com/catalog.php>

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 9, 2005
  13. "Don Dunlap" <> wrote in message

    > I looked at my 20D - two 1/2 months old - for the first time. I took a
    > shot of the sky and was amazed at the crap on the sensor. I ordered a
    > sensor cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images, after hearing about it on
    > this forum. I hope it does the trick.

    Also look at
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296 . This
    method using the Sensor Brush method has become the preferred method of many
    professional photographers.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jan 9, 2005
  14. Jimmy Smith

    Chris Dubea Guest

    >Assuming that with "they" you mean Rob Galbraith? He doesn't run a
    >price list for other companies. So you could check yourself which of
    >the (currently) nine different kits you need/like at:
    ><https://visibledustca.secure.powweb.com/catalog.php>
    >
    >Bart

    The issue I have with these people is in the "packaging" of their
    products. You can't buy a single product. All their offerings are
    "kits". I for one would like to be able to choose specifically what I
    want to buy.
    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Jan 9, 2005
  15. Jimmy Smith

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Crownfield wrote:

    > Jimmy Smith wrote:
    >>

    > go to
    > http://www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm
    > and see what they say about cleaning sensors.

    FWIW, I've swabbed my 10D about four times in the last year and
    a half..

    I use photosol and sensor swabs (as shown in the above link).

    The only bad thing about photosol and sensor swabs is that they're
    pricy. They work great.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 9, 2005
  16. Jimmy Smith

    jean Guest

    > > I looked at my 20D - two 1/2 months old - for the first time. I took a
    > > shot of the sky and was amazed at the crap on the sensor. I ordered a
    > > sensor cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images, after hearing about it on
    > > this forum. I hope it does the trick.
    > >

    > Also look at
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296 . This
    > method using the Sensor Brush method has become the preferred method of

    many
    > professional photographers.

    I bought a Sensor Brush and it does work. I have no affiliations with the
    comapany except being satisfied. It IS expensive, but I have two cameras to
    clean, my daughter's and mine. Took a few minutes and was totally
    effective. I was a bit leery of the swabbing with wetted pads but this dry
    method does work.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 10, 2005
  17. "jean" <> wrote in message
    >> > I looked at my 20D - two 1/2 months old - for the first time. I took a
    >> > shot of the sky and was amazed at the crap on the sensor. I ordered a
    >> > sensor cleaning kit from Copper Hill Images, after hearing about it on
    >> > this forum. I hope it does the trick.
    >> >

    >> Also look at
    >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296 . This
    >> method using the Sensor Brush method has become the preferred method of

    > many
    >> professional photographers.
    >>

    > I bought a Sensor Brush and it does work. I have no affiliations with the
    > comapany except being satisfied. It IS expensive, but I have two cameras
    > clean, my daughter's and mine. Took a few minutes and was totally
    > effective. I was a bit leery of the swabbing with wetted pads but this
    > dry
    > method does work.

    One potential problem with swabbing the sensor with Eclipse (or whatever) is
    the possibility that fluid can seep under the sensor cover filter. This is
    rarely a problem if the user follows directions carefully and only uses a
    drop of Eclipse on the PecPad or Sensor Swab. Generally, it seems that the
    Sensor Brush is easier, and in many cases more effective because there is no
    potential for streaking or globbing.

    Sensor Brush info - http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush.htm

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jan 10, 2005
  18. Jimmy Smith

    jean Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > "jean" <> wrote in message

    on

    > >> Also look at
    > >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296 .

    This
    > >> method using the Sensor Brush method has become the preferred method of

    > > many
    > >> professional photographers.
    > >>

    > > I bought a Sensor Brush and it does work. I have no affiliations with

    the
    > > comapany except being satisfied. It IS expensive, but I have two

    cameras
    > > clean, my daughter's and mine. Took a few minutes and was totally
    > > effective. I was a bit leery of the swabbing with wetted pads but this
    > > dry
    > > method does work.
    > >

    > One potential problem with swabbing the sensor with Eclipse (or whatever)

    is
    > the possibility that fluid can seep under the sensor cover filter. This is
    > rarely a problem if the user follows directions carefully and only uses a
    > drop of Eclipse on the PecPad or Sensor Swab. Generally, it seems that the
    > Sensor Brush is easier, and in many cases more effective because there is

    no
    > potential for streaking or globbing.
    >
    > Sensor Brush info - http://www.visibledust.com/sensorbrush.htm

    That is exactly what I was afraid of, I cleaned my old FtB years ago and a
    little drop of liquid got under the prism, it's still there. There was no
    way I was going to put any fluid in my 10D. Visible dust makes a strong
    statement with the possibility of regular brushes or swabs scoring the glass
    in front of the sensor. For $100, I hope it is a wise investment, so far it
    seems to work as advertised.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 11, 2005
  19. Jimmy Smith

    GTO Guest

    >I have now learned that ALL owners of Canon 10D and 20D and Nikon's various
    > DSLR owners will eventually have dust on their CMOS sensors. This dust
    > will
    > eventually show up on pictures. This is not a possibility..........
    > Unfortunately it is a fact.

    I use a Nikon D70 and I am not able to get dust on a CMOS sensor. That's a
    fact, too ;-)

    GTO, Jan 12, 2005