    Jordan Lund Guest

    A lot of hate going around on the SW set, so I thought I'd post some
    stuff I did, in fact, like about the set...

    #1) The digital cleanup on the picture is astounding. I noticed stuff
    that I had never seen before (tool marks on Vaders mask for example.)
    Just beautiful work.

    #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    I think.

    #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"

    #4) They fixed most of the lightsaber blades so now they (mostly)
    don't look white all the time.

    #5) While the Greedo and Jabba scenes are still annoying, they aren't
    as bad as they were in 1997.

    #6) They re-added the "close the blast doors" line. When Han and
    Chewie are being chased by Storm Troopers they order the blast doors
    to be closed, then they have to order them to be opened again. Some
    versions (including the laserdisc version) are missing the "close the
    blast doors" line. This version brings it back.

    Jordan Lund, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Jordan Lund

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Re: Things I liked...

    "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    > re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    > the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    > fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    > troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    > I think.

    That's a change from the 1997 version. Han never ran into a dead-end,
    though. In the 1977 version he ran into a small group of stormtroopers,
    and that was enough to send Han scurrying back. In '97, Lucas digitally
    composited in more troopers.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Jordan Lund

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    > re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    > the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    > fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    > troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    > I think.

    It was in the 1997 version. One of the few good changes, I agree. I
    laughed out of surprise and at the comedy when seeing that change.

    Doesn't help the reality of how bad a shot the Troopers are, though.

    > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"

    I hope that's a joke.

    > #6) They re-added the "close the blast doors" line. When Han and
    > Chewie are being chased by Storm Troopers they order the blast doors
    > to be closed, then they have to order them to be opened again. Some
    > versions (including the laserdisc version) are missing the "close the
    > blast doors" line. This version brings it back.

    Also a 1997 change, I think. I loved that line, and lament that the VHS
    and LD versions didn't have it. I guess I need to rip it to mix in with
    the LD audio for a DVD backup copy.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Re: Things I liked...

    "Joshua Zyber" <> writes:
    > "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    >> #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    >> re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    >> the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    >> fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    >> troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    >> I think.

    > That's a change from the 1997 version. Han never ran into a dead-end,
    > though. In the 1977 version he ran into a small group of stormtroopers,
    > and that was enough to send Han scurrying back.

    The stormtroopers that Han and Chewie were chasing ran into a dead end
    and they were forced to turn back and fight... that's how I remember it.
    Its been many many years when I last saw the original version, though.

    --
    Paikka on varattu
    vali deille

    Pentti Lajunen, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Re: Things I liked...

    Pentti Lajunen <> writes:

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> writes:
    > > "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > >> #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    > >> re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    > >> the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    > >> fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    > >> troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    > >> I think.

    > > That's a change from the 1997 version. Han never ran into a dead-end,
    > > though. In the 1977 version he ran into a small group of stormtroopers,
    > > and that was enough to send Han scurrying back.

    > The stormtroopers that Han and Chewie were chasing ran into a dead end
    > and they were forced to turn back and fight... that's how I remember it.
    > Its been many many years when I last saw the original version, though.
    >
    > --
    > Paikka on varattu
    > vali deille
    > an uksille

    The scene was originally the same as this SE version, they just added
    a LOT of CG troopers to the scene. Originally it was like 6-8 guys in
    costumes when Han runs into them.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Jordan Lund

    Eric R. Guest

    Dale Hicks <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Doesn't help the reality of how bad a shot the Troopers are, though.

    I always wondered if Ben saying "only imperial stormtroopers are this
    precise" at the beginning wasn't a bit of sarcasm on his part. It
    probably wasn't meant that way in the script. But on a second viewing
    of the movie, it sure is funny.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 24, 2004
  7. Jordan Lund

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >> Doesn't help the reality of how bad a shot the Troopers are, though.
    >
    > I always wondered if Ben saying "only imperial stormtroopers are this
    > precise" at the beginning wasn't a bit of sarcasm on his part. It
    > probably wasn't meant that way in the script. But on a second viewing
    > of the movie, it sure is funny.

    Let's see. In ANH, they hit all the rebels on the blockade runner, hit the
    Jawas, miss Chewbacca but hit the Falcon when they're leaving Mos Eisley,
    and miss every shot on the Death Star. In ESB, they don't land a single shot
    (at least that we see). In ROTJ, that one hits Leia on the arm, but that's
    it.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Jordan Lund

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote in message news:<>...
    > A lot of hate going around on the SW set

    And it's all well-deserved.

    > so I thought I'd post some
    > stuff I did, in fact, like about the set...
    >
    > #1) The digital cleanup on the picture is astounding. I noticed stuff
    > that I had never seen before (tool marks on Vaders mask for example.)
    > Just beautiful work.

    Too bad they couldn't have given us the originals in a clean form like
    that. But it's not going to entice me into laying money down for this
    travesty of a DVD box set.

    > #2) The trooper room. I can't remember if this is from the 1997
    > re-issue or not. Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In
    > the original version they run into a dead end and have to turn and
    > fight. In the new version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of
    > troopers in it. Very funny end to that gag, funnier than the original
    > I think.

    That's another unneccesary addition from the 1997 SE. Nothing new
    here.

    > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"

    So he altered the audio, as well.

    > #4) They fixed most of the lightsaber blades so now they (mostly)
    > don't look white all the time.

    They looked red and blue to me.

    > #5) While the Greedo and Jabba scenes are still annoying, they aren't
    > as bad as they were in 1997.

    They aren't just annoying; they are distracting, stupid, lame and
    abhorrent.

    > #6) They re-added the "close the blast doors" line. When Han and
    > Chewie are being chased by Storm Troopers they order the blast doors
    > to be closed, then they have to order them to be opened again. Some
    > versions (including the laserdisc version) are missing the "close the
    > blast doors" line. This version brings it back.

    That was added back in the 1997 SE version. Nothing new here.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Jordan Lund

    Mark W Guest

    Re: Things I liked...

    > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"

    BA-DOING!! would have been a better way to remove any subtlety from this
    scene.

    Funny that an apparent out-take has remained in the movie.

    Or did G.Lucas always intend it that way?

    Mark W, Sep 25, 2004
  10. Re: Things I liked...

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    > > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    > > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    > > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    > > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"
    > >

    > BA-DOING!! would have been a better way to remove any subtlety from this
    > scene.
    >
    > Funny that an apparent out-take has remained in the movie.
    >
    > Or did G.Lucas always intend it that way?

    I don't know if it was always intended that way, but he has Jango Fett
    hitting his head in AOTC. So maybe it's genetic.

    michael wheeler, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Jordan Lund

    Mark W Guest

    Re: Things I liked...

    "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    >> > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    >> > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    >> > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"
    >> >

    >> BA-DOING!! would have been a better way to remove any subtlety from this
    >> scene.
    >>
    >> Funny that an apparent out-take has remained in the movie.
    >>
    >> Or did G.Lucas always intend it that way?

    > I don't know if it was always intended that way, but he has Jango Fett
    > hitting his head in AOTC. So maybe it's genetic.

    OK, what sound effect do you hear when Jango hits his head? If it's a
    similar sound, then your theory is proved!

    Mark W, Sep 25, 2004
  12. Re: Things I liked...

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Jordan Lund wrote:

    >> ...Solo goes chasing after a bunch of Storm Troopers. In the original
    >> version they run into a dead end and have to turn and fight. In the new
    >> version the hallway ends at a room with hundreds of troopers in it.

    > ...Han never ran into a dead-end, though. In the 1977 version he ran
    > into a small group of stormtroopers, and that was enough to send Han
    > scurrying back. In '97, Lucas digitally composited in more troopers.

    ....most of whom don't move at all despite the presence of an armed maniac
    firing a weapon in their immediate vicinity.

    (I don't really object to the *idea* of this particular change, but the
    execution seems a little flat to me.)

    doug

    --
    "You got to watch for the exit wounds
    When girls say 'yes'..."

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 25, 2004
  13. Re: Things I liked...

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    > "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    and

    > >> BA-DOING!! would have been a better way to remove any subtlety from

    this
    > >> scene.
    > >>
    > >> Funny that an apparent out-take has remained in the movie.
    > >>
    > >> Or did G.Lucas always intend it that way?

    > > I don't know if it was always intended that way, but he has Jango Fett
    > > hitting his head in AOTC. So maybe it's genetic.
    > >

    > OK, what sound effect do you hear when Jango hits his head? If it's a
    > similar sound, then your theory is proved!

    Well, it might have been a DONK!! Or maybe a SPANG! I'll double check.
    There's even the slightest possibility it was a SPA-DONK! I'll get back to
    you

    Michael

    michael wheeler, Sep 25, 2004
  14. Re: Things I liked...

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, michael wheeler wrote:

    > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    > and

    > this

    > > > I don't know if it was always intended that way, but he has Jango Fett
    > > > hitting his head in AOTC. So maybe it's genetic.

    > > OK, what sound effect do you hear when Jango hits his head? If it's a
    > > similar sound, then your theory is proved!
    > >

    > Well, it might have been a DONK!! Or maybe a SPANG! I'll double check.
    > There's even the slightest possibility it was a SPA-DONK! I'll get back to
    > you

    Where's Don Martin when you need him?

    swac
    Ker-GLOINK!

    Stephen Cooke, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Jordan Lund

    chunky Guest

    >> #1) The digital cleanup on the picture is astounding.

    Do some of the red colors appear skewed towards pink to anyone else?
    It's most noticeable whenever troopers are shooting or explosions with
    white smoke.The other colors seem fine. Noticed this on three
    different tvs/players. I've seen this kind of skewing before on other
    'cleanup' jobs, like Disney's old Ghibli titles.

    chunky, Sep 26, 2004
  16. Jordan Lund

    Eric R. Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Let's see. In ANH, they hit all the rebels on the blockade runner, hit the
    > Jawas, miss Chewbacca but hit the Falcon when they're leaving Mos Eisley,
    > and miss every shot on the Death Star. In ESB, they don't land a single shot
    > (at least that we see). In ROTJ, that one hits Leia on the arm, but that's
    > it.

    LOL! I'd say they definitely need to put in some shooting ranges. It's
    pretty bad when Luke and Han are better shots with Imperial blasters
    than the Imperials themselves are.

    You know, the first bad guy in a film with the foresight to give basic
    marksmanship training to his henchmen will take over the world with no
    problem. ;-)

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 27, 2004
  17. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Dale Hicks <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Doesn't help the reality of how bad a shot the Troopers are, though.

    You know, I've done a little (obsessive fan) thinking about that... If
    you assume that the Storm Troopers in IV-V-VI are 10th or 11th
    generation clones you could say that copy degradation is causing the
    aiming problem. :^)

    > I hope that's a joke.

    Nope, no joke... You can clearly hear the trooper cracking his head on
    the door.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 27, 2004
  18. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Too bad they couldn't have given us the originals in a clean form like
    > that. But it's not going to entice me into laying money down for this
    > travesty of a DVD box set.

    I agree, but the set is far from being a travesty.

    > > #4) They fixed most of the lightsaber blades so now they (mostly)
    > > don't look white all the time.

    > They looked red and blue to me.

    In the long shot just before Ben is killed the blades are white. When
    Luke is training on the Falcon sometimes the blade is green, then
    white, but never blue.

    > They aren't just annoying; they are distracting, stupid, lame and
    > abhorrent.

    The revised Greedo scene isn't that bad and the Jabba scene is only
    annoying because it repeats the dialog from the Greedo scene.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 27, 2004
  19. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Re: Things I liked...

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > #3) They added a sound effect to the trooper who hits his head. Right
    > > after the trash compactor scene, troopers enter the room with C3PO and
    > > R2. The one on the right cracks his head on the door and can be seen
    > > holding his face. Now when he enters the room you hear "DONK!"
    > >

    > BA-DOING!! would have been a better way to remove any subtlety from this
    > scene.
    >
    > Funny that an apparent out-take has remained in the movie.
    >
    > Or did G.Lucas always intend it that way?

    I think he intends it now, that's why he had Jango Fett crack his head
    on the door to his ship in Episode II. :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 27, 2004
  20. In article <>, Jordan Lund
    says...
    > > They aren't just annoying; they are distracting, stupid, lame and
    > > abhorrent.

    > The revised Greedo scene isn't that bad and the Jabba scene is only
    > annoying because it repeats the dialog from the Greedo scene.

    Another thing I found interesting: a couple of minutes later, Luke sees
    the Falcon for the first time and utters his famous "What a piece of
    junk!" line. In the original theatrical cut, it is also the first time
    we the viewers see the Falcon -- but in the 1997 SE and 2004 DVD
    releases, we've already seen it, in the Jabba scene. This could dull the
    impact of the 'reveal' of the Falcon for someone who is a first time
    viewer of SW.

    Edward

    Edward Curtis, Sep 27, 2004