    CPU??? what does it mean?

    Thanks.
    Paul

    Paul, May 22, 2004

  2. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information
    Process File: svchost or svchost.exe
    Process Name: Service Host Process
    from dynamic link libraries.
    Company: Microsoft Corp.
    System Process: Yes
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Common Errors: N/A

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 22, 2004

  3. Paul

    Warthog Guest

    itsasystem file that win 2k & XP uses, nothing to worry about.

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there

    be

    Warthog, May 22, 2004
  4. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should
    > there be more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a
    > crazy amount of CPU??? what does it mean?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Paul

    Svchost is used by NT based O/S(s)such as Win NT 4.0, 2K, XP and 2K3 to
    perform many tasks. One of its many tasks is communications to allow
    programs to connect and talk to each other (over the Internet). Also,
    svchost can be used by programs that are not part of the O/S such as
    Trojans and spyware. Svchost is the messenger and you should always be
    aware of what is using Svchost (the messenger) when it's connecting to
    unknown IP(s) over the Internet.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314056

    If Svchost.exe is not running out of C:\WinNT\System32 for Win NT 4.0 and
    2K or C:\Windows\System32 Win XP and 2K3 (from any other directory or m a
    subdirectory of System32, then it is a Trojan.

    You can use Active Ports and Process Explorer both are free to help you
    determine what's happening on the machine.

    You should try to secure the O/S a little bit.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 22, 2004
  5. Paul

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should
    > there be more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a
    > crazy amount of CPU??? what does it mean?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Paul

    correction

    <snip>

    If Svchost.exe is not running out of C:\WinNT\System32 for Win NT 4.0 and
    2K or C:\Windows\System32 Win XP and 2K3 (not from any other directory or

    Duane Arnold, May 22, 2004
  6. If SVCHOST.EXE takes lots of CPU, you probably have a virus. Some time ago I
    had the same problem: SVCHOST.EXE used up to 99% CPU, which made the
    computer crash. Turned out that I had two virusses. After getting rid of
    them, the rpoblem was gone.

    --
    Jan
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/

    Jan van Gastel, May 23, 2004
  7. Paul

    Plato Guest

    Jan van Gastel wrote:

    > If SVCHOST.EXE takes lots of CPU, you probably have a virus. Some time ago I
    > had the same problem: SVCHOST.EXE used up to 99% CPU, which made the
    > computer crash. Turned out that I had two virusses. After getting rid of
    > them, the rpoblem was gone.

    svchost is by default a messenger and can relay a virus/trojan to the
    web. A virus can also name itself svchost.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 23, 2004
  8. Paul

    bearman Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, can anyone tell me what SVCHOST.EXE is and what is does. Should there

    be
    > more than one in my task manager? One of them was using a crazy amount of
    > CPU??? what does it mean?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Paul

    If you want to see what a file is (or does), go to Google and type in the
    file name.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 23, 2004
  9. Paul

    pc_solver

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    svchost.exe problem solved

    Hi
    perform the following steps....

    nb: you will need windows to be installed on an ntfs .

    1. log on as admin in winXP

    2. go to the system32 folder

    3. open properties of the file "wuauclt.exe" and "wuauclt1.exe"

    4. move to the security tab

    5. click "SYSTEM" under the group or user names

    now here goes the fix>

    6. check the DENY relating to the fullcontrol option, thats it, it means u are now not allowing the system to access these files.

    Now click ok and reboot to see the difference.

    If this doesn't work i will try to find some other way.

    But for now just try this out and let me know.

    pc_solver, Sep 15, 2006