svchost.exe.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alasdair Baxter, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. I am running Windows 2000 on a PC with AMD Athlon processor 1.0GHz.
    Gigabyte Motherboard with 512MHz of RAM.

    When I try to fire up Internet Explorer, I get a window with the
    following message. In the title bar it says "svchost.exe --
    Application Error"

    In the grey part of the window it says: "The instruction at
    0xe03c3a68 referenced memory at 0xe03c3a68 the memory could not be
    "read". Click on OK to terminate the program, click on "cancel" to
    debug the program".

    If I click on OK, the program is terminated but the problem reappears
    when I try to fire up Internet Explorer again. If I click "cancel",
    it fires up Visual Studio 6 but I haven't a clue where to go from
    there.

    Please, can anyone help?
    --

    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Alasdair Baxter, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    JabberSmith Guest

    You have the msbasher.exe worm. It's bad. And new this morning. You should
    take the machine off the internet and get cleaned.

    Delete "msbasher.exe"

    Remove the "windows auto update" from the RUN portion of Windows in the
    registry.

    Then get patched AND get a firewall (this one requires both).

    It's going to be an interesting week.

    JabberSmith, Aug 12, 2003

  3. On 12 Aug 2003 09:39:26 -0700, (mr_id) wrote:

    >is this the same as the blaster and lovesan worm going around today?
    >This is the only reference to the msbasher I could find.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >id

    Yes, I must have been one of the first in the UK to have been
    infected.

    Alasdair Baxter, Aug 16, 2003