SVCHOST.EXE -- still same problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cliffk@dodgit.com, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am having the same problem that has long been resolved by most Windows
    Xp users. There is a lot of info posted about the SVCHOST.EXE / Network
    Services task using excessive CPU cycles, various work arounds, and
    finally the fix from Microsoft.

    I just did a lot of searching for this problem, on the MSFT site and
    others, and can't find a lot of evidence that this is still a problem
    for people. (Like me.)

    I have several XP Home systems, and two of those still have this problem
    even though they are both totally current with Windows Update and all
    recommended fixes. There is nothing special about these systems - no
    exotic mods or fixes. Just virus and spyware free and updated with all
    MSFT provided fixes.

    The problem is the same - svchost.exe / network services pegs CPU usage
    at 75% on up, and no communications will flow until this task is killed,
    after which everything works just fine. In fact, the work around -
    disabling the update service - never worked for me on these two systems.
    We have always had to kill the svchost.exe task to get communications
    started.

    I've checked for bogus svchost.exe programs, and the only one (and the
    one running) is in \Windows\system32. Turning off the update services
    does NOT prevent this problem from occurring.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    , Aug 30, 2007

  2. Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >I am having the same problem that has long been resolved by most Windows
    >Xp users. There is a lot of info posted about the SVCHOST.EXE / Network
    >Services task using excessive CPU cycles, various work arounds, and
    >finally the fix from Microsoft.
    >
    >I just did a lot of searching for this problem, on the MSFT site and
    >others, and can't find a lot of evidence that this is still a problem
    >for people. (Like me.)
    >
    >I have several XP Home systems, and two of those still have this problem
    >even though they are both totally current with Windows Update and all
    >recommended fixes. There is nothing special about these systems - no
    >exotic mods or fixes. Just virus and spyware free and updated with all
    >MSFT provided fixes.
    >
    >The problem is the same - svchost.exe / network services pegs CPU usage
    >at 75% on up, and no communications will flow until this task is killed,
    >after which everything works just fine. In fact, the work around -
    >disabling the update service - never worked for me on these two systems.
    >We have always had to kill the svchost.exe task to get communications
    >started.
    >
    >I've checked for bogus svchost.exe programs, and the only one (and the
    >one running) is in \Windows\system32. Turning off the update services
    >does NOT prevent this problem from occurring.
    >

    >Any advice would be appreciated.

    Start with
    Google: Process Explorer

    Mouse over each SVCHOST will tell you what it's running, research
    those processes, (these can be disabled in your services)
    Run/services.msc - double click on each SVCHOST for more info.

    Properties of the SVCHOST to make sure it's a MS program
    --
    15 Unfortunately Placed Ads
    http://www.oddee.com/item_88961.aspx

    , Aug 30, 2007

  3. Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Cliff - In a few case to my knowledge the lockup has returned. It's
    thought that this is probably due to a recurrance of corruption of the
    DataStore.edb and/or the log files in the

    %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

    folder probably caused by interference by an AV scan during the Update
    checks. If this does occur for any of your machines, you might wish to try
    the following work arounds to the particular machine to get things back to
    normal.

    1. Defrag the DataStore.edb file using the following command line:

    esentutl /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\datastore.edb

    2. If that doesn't do it, then try recovery of it:

    esentutl /r %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\datastore.edb

    (Hopefully this will get all databases to a
    consistent state)

    3. If that doesn't help, then try a Repair:

    esentutl /p %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\datastore.edb

    If those steps don't solve it, you can try the following procedure which I
    worked out with some MS personnel which so far has worked when used:

    The following assumes you're on Windows XP but will work OK for Win2k as
    well. If you're confident about what you're doing, then try the following
    first - only if it doesn't work, then there's another level of stuff that
    can be done following:

    1. Stop and Disable Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer
    Service and the Cryptographic Service.

    2. Rename the folder %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution to
    %SystemRoot%\OldSoftwareDistribution

    3. Open Notepad and create a file containing the following:

    REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
    REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
    REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

    Save this file as 'Wudll.cmd' (without the quotes) to any convenient
    location then exit Notepad and double click on the file you just saved. You
    should get a 'Sucess' mesage for each of the .dll's listed above.

    4. Now Re-enable to Automatic status and then Start each of the services
    you stopped before - Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer
    Service and the Cryptographic Service.

    5. Now Reboot. Now Reboot Again. (Yes, twice.)

    See if that solves it - give it a couple of days. If so, then you can
    delete 'OldSoftwareDistribution'. I would request that you post back with
    your results. _Only if the problem does re-occur_, then do the following
    _exactly_:

    1. Go to http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix and download Dial-a-fix
    v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27) Here's a direct download link:
    http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip and a
    secondary: http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip from
    that page's download section, here:
    http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Mirrors.2Fdownload_locations.2C_and_articles .

    2. Unzip it to a new folder at root with any name, e.g.
    c:\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24

    3. Restart the computer in Safe Mode. Now double click on Dial-a-fix.exe
    in that folder.

    4. Click on the following:
    - Options/tooltips (just to get an idea of what it does in each
    section.
    :) )
    - Both boxes under Prep
    - The 'all' (top) box for Sections 2, 3 and 4 (which will automatically
    be set when you check 3)
    - In Section 3 click on 'Flush Software Distribution' and choose 'Yes'
    to force the deletion of the folder.
    - In Section 5, 'Programming cores/runtimes',
    'Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP', and 'Object linking libraries (OLE)' only.
    - Click 'Go' . (Some of the re-registrations may take what seems like
    long time for some .dll's - Don't be impatient.)

    5. Reboot. Now Reboot Again. (Yes, twice.)

    See if that does the trick, and, again please post back with your
    experience.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd,
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

    In news:46d6fcf2$0$16403$,
    <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Thip Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am having the same problem that has long been resolved by most Windows
    > Xp users. There is a lot of info posted about the SVCHOST.EXE / Network
    > Services task using excessive CPU cycles, various work arounds, and
    > finally the fix from Microsoft.
    >
    > I just did a lot of searching for this problem, on the MSFT site and
    > others, and can't find a lot of evidence that this is still a problem
    > for people. (Like me.)
    >
    > I have several XP Home systems, and two of those still have this problem
    > even though they are both totally current with Windows Update and all
    > recommended fixes. There is nothing special about these systems - no
    > exotic mods or fixes. Just virus and spyware free and updated with all
    > MSFT provided fixes.
    >
    > The problem is the same - svchost.exe / network services pegs CPU usage
    > at 75% on up, and no communications will flow until this task is killed,
    > after which everything works just fine. In fact, the work around -
    > disabling the update service - never worked for me on these two systems.
    > We have always had to kill the svchost.exe task to get communications
    > started.
    >
    > I've checked for bogus svchost.exe programs, and the only one (and the
    > one running) is in \Windows\system32. Turning off the update services
    > does NOT prevent this problem from occurring.
    >

    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > --

    Might sound incredibly stupid, but my problem turned out to be an entry in
    my Host file. CPU usage shot up to 100% and stayed there for up to five
    minutes at a time.

    Thip, Aug 30, 2007
  5. John Holmes Guest

    Thip "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I am having the same problem that has long been resolved by most
    >>Windows
    >> Xp users. There is a lot of info posted about the SVCHOST.EXE /
    >> Network Services task using excessive CPU cycles, various work
    >> arounds, and finally the fix from Microsoft.
    >>
    >> I just did a lot of searching for this problem, on the MSFT site and
    >> others, and can't find a lot of evidence that this is still a problem
    >> for people. (Like me.)
    >>
    >> I have several XP Home systems, and two of those still have this
    >> problem even though they are both totally current with Windows Update
    >> and all recommended fixes. There is nothing special about these
    >> systems - no exotic mods or fixes. Just virus and spyware free and
    >> updated with all MSFT provided fixes.
    >>
    >> The problem is the same - svchost.exe / network services pegs CPU
    >> usage at 75% on up, and no communications will flow until this task
    >> is killed, after which everything works just fine. In fact, the work
    >> around - disabling the update service - never worked for me on these
    >> two systems. We have always had to kill the svchost.exe task to get
    >> communications started.
    >>
    >> I've checked for bogus svchost.exe programs, and the only one (and
    >> the one running) is in \Windows\system32. Turning off the update
    >> services does NOT prevent this problem from occurring.
    >>

    >> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> --

    > Might sound incredibly stupid, but my problem turned out to be an
    > entry in my Host file. CPU usage shot up to 100% and stayed there for
    > up to five minutes at a time.

    So, for the convenience of the poor sods having the same problem, you
    wouldn't mention which entry in your fuckedup host file (et all) would
    cause this behaviour, now would you, you asthmatic, vindicative festball?

    --
    Your mother was a diabolic twit who grossed-out doctors in fast food
    restaurants.

    John Holmes, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Thip Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Thip "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I am having the same problem that has long been resolved by most
    >>>Windows
    >>> Xp users. There is a lot of info posted about the SVCHOST.EXE /
    >>> Network Services task using excessive CPU cycles, various work
    >>> arounds, and finally the fix from Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> I just did a lot of searching for this problem, on the MSFT site and
    >>> others, and can't find a lot of evidence that this is still a problem
    >>> for people. (Like me.)
    >>>
    >>> I have several XP Home systems, and two of those still have this
    >>> problem even though they are both totally current with Windows Update
    >>> and all recommended fixes. There is nothing special about these
    >>> systems - no exotic mods or fixes. Just virus and spyware free and
    >>> updated with all MSFT provided fixes.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is the same - svchost.exe / network services pegs CPU
    >>> usage at 75% on up, and no communications will flow until this task
    >>> is killed, after which everything works just fine. In fact, the work
    >>> around - disabling the update service - never worked for me on these
    >>> two systems. We have always had to kill the svchost.exe task to get
    >>> communications started.
    >>>
    >>> I've checked for bogus svchost.exe programs, and the only one (and
    >>> the one running) is in \Windows\system32. Turning off the update
    >>> services does NOT prevent this problem from occurring.
    >>>

    >>> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Might sound incredibly stupid, but my problem turned out to be an
    >> entry in my Host file. CPU usage shot up to 100% and stayed there for
    >> up to five minutes at a time.
    >>

    > So, for the convenience of the poor sods having the same problem, you
    > wouldn't mention which entry in your fuckedup host file (et all) would
    > cause this behaviour, now would you, you asthmatic, vindicative festball?
    >
    > --

    Oh, how sweet! I love you too.

    Thip, Aug 30, 2007
  7. pcbutts1 Guest

    Use my fix tool. After running it you will have to redownload all MS
    updates. Click continue when prompted until the program ends after about 1
    minute.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/asvchostsfixr.zip

    pcbutts1, Aug 31, 2007
  8. Guest

    , Aug 31, 2007
  9. pcbutts1 Guest

    Technically they don't need to because they are already installed but
    windows will think they are not and want to download them again. My fix tool
    renames the SoftwareDistribution folder.

    pcbutts1, Aug 31, 2007
  10. Leythos Guest

    In article <fb7kn0$7p2$>, pcbutts1
    @leythosthestalker.com says...
    > After running it you will have to redownload all MS
    > updates.

    Anyone should be very concerned about downloading any from a Porn
    Hosting Website, you can't trust those site to not contain malware in
    most cases.

    Still exposing kids to Porn via your website Butts?

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS1.COM that
    create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a look
    at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Aug 31, 2007
  11. Guest

    Lordy! What a great list of suggestions. I'm humbled. I can tell I hit a
    nerve.

    I'm working through the various things listed. I'm a bit afraid of some of
    them because of the risk, but the time will come that I just have to do
    this.

    1. I did remove my extensive hosts file, reboot, and still have the exact
    same svchost.exe/network services high CPU problem. So if there is *some*
    mystery entry, or combination of entries, that causes this I guess I don't
    have it.

    2. Got process explorer and will recreate the problem and analyze it that
    way.

    , Sep 2, 2007
  12. Guest

    RESOLUTION: SVCHOST.EXE -- still same problem

    Yet more followup and a resolution.

    I reviewed all of the notes and suggestions provided and started with the
    quickest and easiest solutions.

    1. On the PCs with problems I have huge hosts file - 450K+. However, I use
    the same file on PCs that do not have problems. So to start with I ruled
    that out and left the hosts file in place.

    2. Next I disabled DNS Client, using services.msc. THE PROBLEM DISAPPEARED
    COMPLETELY. My PCs still interconnect on an internal network, printer
    sharing still works, Hamachi and VPN works, and so on. I simply cannot tell
    any difference with DNS client turned off, although I'm sure that users
    that rely on this service for some reason would have to find a different
    solution.

    3. I confirmed that the XP systems in my home (and relatives) that do not
    have this problem have DNS client service still turned on. They use an
    identical, huge hosts file.

    So there it is. A resolution with no explanation why it works.

    Thanks to all for their advice.

    , Sep 5, 2007
  13. Guest

    Re: RESOLUTION: SVCHOST.EXE -- still same problem

    "" <> wrote:

    >Yet more followup and a resolution.
    >
    >I reviewed all of the notes and suggestions provided and started with the
    >quickest and easiest solutions.
    >
    >1. On the PCs with problems I have huge hosts file - 450K+. However, I use
    >the same file on PCs that do not have problems. So to start with I ruled
    >that out and left the hosts file in place.
    >
    >2. Next I disabled DNS Client, using services.msc. THE PROBLEM DISAPPEARED
    >COMPLETELY. My PCs still interconnect on an internal network, printer
    >sharing still works, Hamachi and VPN works, and so on. I simply cannot tell
    >any difference with DNS client turned off, although I'm sure that users
    >that rely on this service for some reason would have to find a different
    >solution.
    >
    >3. I confirmed that the XP systems in my home (and relatives) that do not
    >have this problem have DNS client service still turned on. They use an
    >identical, huge hosts file.
    >
    >So there it is. A resolution with no explanation why it works.

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Drop down to:

    "Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
    slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98
    and ME are not affected."

    Says to disable the DNS Client :)
    --
    Born to be alive