    click on 'change settings' on the left, in the next window scroll down
    and un-tick microsoft update and click on 'apply changes now' , you'll
    now be back to windows update only.

    Piet Slaghekke, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Piet  Slaghekke

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Piet Slaghekke wrote:
    > Problem: SVCHOST.EXE uses 60-100% cpu at bootup or when Microsoft
    > Update is running.
    >
    > CAUSE: Bug in Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update scans all Microsoft
    > software including office/
    > Windows update only scans Windows for updates)
    >
    > FIX:
    > go to windows update and check if the "get microsoft update today"
    > banner is there, if it is then this is not your problem, if it's not,
    > click on 'change settings' on the left, in the next window scroll down
    > and un-tick microsoft update and click on 'apply changes now' , you'll
    > now be back to windows update only.

    You need to show some kind of documented proof here to support this.

    Duane :)

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 8, 2006

  3. Piet  Slaghekke

    Viruschecker Guest

    Piet Slaghekke wrote:
    > Problem: SVCHOST.EXE uses 60-100% cpu at bootup or when Microsoft
    > Update is running.
    >
    > CAUSE: Bug in Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update scans all Microsoft
    > software including office/
    > Windows update only scans Windows for updates)
    >
    > FIX:
    > go to windows update and check if the "get microsoft update today"
    > banner is there, if it is then this is not your problem, if it's not,
    > click on 'change settings' on the left, in the next window scroll down
    > and un-tick microsoft update and click on 'apply changes now' , you'll
    > now be back to windows update only.

    I've noticed a number of customers machines doing this lately. Turning
    off automatic updates downloading cures it. I'm sure MS will put out a
    fix soon.

    Viruschecker, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Piet Slaghekke wrote:
    > Problem: SVCHOST.EXE uses 60-100% cpu at bootup or when Microsoft
    > Update is running.
    >
    > CAUSE: Bug in Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update scans all
    > Microsoft software including office/
    > Windows update only scans Windows for updates)
    >
    > FIX:
    > go to windows update and check if the "get microsoft update today"
    > banner is there, if it is then this is not your problem, if it's not,
    > click on 'change settings' on the left, in the next window scroll down
    > and un-tick microsoft update and click on 'apply changes now' , you'll
    > now be back to windows update only.

    Thanks for that. It's a huge help.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
    willing to inflict on others. Phèdre nó Delaunay

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Piet  Slaghekke

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:28:34 -0500, Rhonda Lea Kirk Has Frothed:

    > Piet Slaghekke wrote:
    >> Problem: SVCHOST.EXE uses 60-100% cpu at bootup or when Microsoft
    >> Update is running.
    >>
    >> CAUSE: Bug in Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update scans all Microsoft
    >> software including office/
    >> Windows update only scans Windows for updates)
    >>
    >> FIX:
    >> go to windows update and check if the "get microsoft update today"
    >> banner is there, if it is then this is not your problem, if it's not,
    >> click on 'change settings' on the left, in the next window scroll down
    >> and un-tick microsoft update and click on 'apply changes now' , you'll
    >> now be back to windows update only.

    > Thanks for that. It's a huge help.

    I haven't done one update in many months. Too many horror stories and my
    PC runs without flaws.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 10, 2006