    this is how I can be reached:
    peters underscore spambot at
    ihug dot co dot nz
    Peter Huebner, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:56:11 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >Every time I connect to the internet, svchost "network service" soaks up
    >98-99% of CPU for 15-30 seconds. After that, it goes back down to 0 and
    >the computer comes back to live (and so does the net).
    >
    >This is danged annoying, and I am wondering what might be causing it.
    >Does anybody have an idea for a possible fix?
    >
    >cheers -Peter

    It might be the symptom of a virus. It is not a virus itself.

    http://tinyurl.com/6vn73

    http://tinyurl.com/74zrz
    GraB, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > Every time I connect to the internet, svchost "network service" soaks up
    > 98-99% of CPU for 15-30 seconds. After that, it goes back down to 0 and
    > the computer comes back to live (and so does the net).

    Bad LSP?
    Both lavasoft adaware and spybot search and destroy can look for those.
    see :
    http://www.cexx.org
    and
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 23, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:56:11 +1200, Peter Huebner
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Every time I connect to the internet, svchost "network service" soaks up
    > >98-99% of CPU for 15-30 seconds. After that, it goes back down to 0 and
    > >the computer comes back to live (and so does the net).
    > >
    > >This is danged annoying, and I am wondering what might be causing it.
    > >Does anybody have an idea for a possible fix?
    > >
    > >cheers -Peter

    > It might be the symptom of a virus. It is not a virus itself.

    No, not any virus or spyware or trojan or adware that are detectable
    with most of the current tools.

    Since this behaviour started after I installed SP2, I was fairly sure
    that it's to do with that somehow. I recall there were tcp/ip changes
    implemented that broke things for people. However, uninstalling SP2
    didn't fix the issue.

    I got a little further in the investigation. On an impulse I tried this
    last night: I went to the taskman/process list and killed ->svchost
    NETWORKING SERVICE. Then I connected, and the connection came alive
    immediately.
    No degradation in functionality. Hmmm.

    I then went into the registry and tried to find out what exactly is
    being loaded by svchost. Unfortunately, there is no separate entry under
    /system/services/netsvcs in my registry.

    However, I found in \windowsnt\currentversion\svchost there is at least
    one service being loaded that is an **orphan** from SP2 (which I have
    uninstalled) called dcomhost. I have also found services there called
    pchealth and termsvcs which I cannot identify use or origin of.

    I may try to delete these keys from the registry one by one and see if I
    can catch the culprit thataway, unless somebody can come up with a
    brainwave (I have to go out & work, this won't happen immediately).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 28, 2005