SVCD trouble

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD burner I
    wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice little menus and
    stuff.

    I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but I have
    another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off because it can't read
    the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I can play the SVCD completely
    through without a glitch in my DVD burner and my DVD rom and also my
    stand-alone DVD player. I imaged the disc thinking that would give me
    better results and it images fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the
    video file off it. If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD
    or the image of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half
    of the video fine and not the second half.

    So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so I can
    de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it would be fine as
    long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not interfer with playing on
    a standalone DVD player.

    Does this make any sense?
    cowboyz, Aug 1, 2004

  2. "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD burner

    > wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice little menus and
    > stuff.
    > I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but I

    have
    > another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off because it can't

    read
    > the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I can play the SVCD

    completely
    > through without a glitch in my DVD burner and my DVD rom and also my
    > stand-alone DVD player. I imaged the disc thinking that would give me
    > better results and it images fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the
    > video file off it. If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD
    > or the image of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half
    > of the video fine and not the second half.
    > So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so I can
    > de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it would be fine as
    > long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not interfer with playing

    on
    > a standalone DVD player.
    > Does this make any sense?

    As a last resort, you could re capture it through line in off the svcd

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Aug 1, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD
    >> burner I wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice
    >> little menus and stuff.
    >> I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but
    >> I have another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off
    >> because it can't read the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I
    >> can play the SVCD completely through without a glitch in my DVD
    >> burner and my DVD rom and also my stand-alone DVD player. I imaged
    >> the disc thinking that would give me better results and it images
    >> fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the video file off it.
    >> If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD or the image
    >> of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half of the
    >> video fine and not the second half.
    >> So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so
    >> I can de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it
    >> would be fine as long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not
    >> interfer with playing on a standalone DVD player.
    >> Does this make any sense?
    >>

    > As a last resort, you could re capture it through line in off the svcd

    I am almost at that point. pain in the arse. found I have more problems.
    Some of the files I thought I had. copied fine off cd but when
    demultiplexing it cuts out at random. using tmpeng to do the splitting.
    just trying dvdlab but that doesn't seem to be doing any better. Some files
    work fine. Some don't. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. even
    the files that copy fine off the cds don't work.

    FIIK
    cowboyz, Aug 1, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD
    >> burner I wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice
    >> little menus and stuff.
    >> I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but
    >> I have another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off
    >> because it can't read the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I
    >> can play the SVCD completely through without a glitch in my DVD
    >> burner and my DVD rom and also my stand-alone DVD player. I imaged
    >> the disc thinking that would give me better results and it images
    >> fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the video file off it.
    >> If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD or the image
    >> of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half of the
    >> video fine and not the second half.
    >> So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so
    >> I can de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it
    >> would be fine as long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not
    >> interfer with playing on a standalone DVD player.
    >> Does this make any sense?
    >>

    > As a last resort, you could re capture it through line in off the svcd

    Just found out something really funny. too. I haven't used my video capture
    card for a couple of months and just loaded the software and it can't find
    the capture card!!! Something is telling me I shouldn't be trying to do
    this. Maybe I should get a job at a software company cause once I create a
    disc then it will never be copied. End of piracy forever.
    cowboyz, Aug 1, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    Mutlley Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD burner I
    >wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice little menus and
    >stuff.
    >
    >I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but I have
    >another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off because it can't read
    >the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I can play the SVCD completely
    >through without a glitch in my DVD burner and my DVD rom and also my
    >stand-alone DVD player. I imaged the disc thinking that would give me
    >better results and it images fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the
    >video file off it. If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD
    >or the image of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half
    >of the video fine and not the second half.
    >
    >So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so I can
    >de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it would be fine as
    >long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not interfer with playing on
    >a standalone DVD player.
    >
    >Does this make any sense?

    There is a program called Isobuster out there that can read a CDR and
    copy the files back to your hard disk.
    Mutlley, Aug 1, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ok. Over the years I have created a few SVCDs. Now I have a DVD
    >> burner I wanted to put a collection of SVCD onto DVD with nice
    >> little menus and stuff.
    >>
    >> I did a 20 minute SVCD to my authoring program no problem at all but
    >> I have another SVCD disc that I can't copy the video file off
    >> because it can't read the file at about 50%. The funny thing is I
    >> can play the SVCD completely through without a glitch in my DVD
    >> burner and my DVD rom and also my stand-alone DVD player. I imaged
    >> the disc thinking that would give me better results and it images
    >> fine. No errors. But I still can't copy the video file off it.
    >> If I try to de-muliplex the video striaght off the CD or the image
    >> of the CD then it quits at about 50% and I get the first half of the
    >> video fine and not the second half.
    >>
    >> So does anyone have an idea how I can get this video off the SVCD so
    >> I can de-muliplex it, even if it glitches over the "bad" bit it
    >> would be fine as long as the "bad" bit is not too long and will not
    >> interfer with playing on a standalone DVD player.
    >>
    >> Does this make any sense?
    >>

    > There is a program called Isobuster out there that can read a CDR and
    > copy the files back to your hard disk.

    Cheers. I kinda got it working but having far too much trouble with
    transcoding to the correct format. One disc will work and then the next
    won't. It is very hit and miss.

    So I am thinking of just hooking my standalone dvd recorder up to my PC and
    record the files that way. But before I do that is there a way to use my
    internal DVD writer like a standalone one. ie. play a video file and
    recorder directly onto the DVD?
    cowboyz, Aug 2, 2004