    can i burn svcd on dvd ?
    i looked in my nero program and i have this option only in the cd mode

    Thanks

    yehuda ernst, Feb 15, 2004

  2. yehuda ernst

    Bill Guest

    > can i burn svcd on dvd ?
    > i looked in my nero program and i have this option only in the cd mode
    >
    > Thanks

    SVCD uses MPEG2 compression, the same as DVDs, but the quality is lower.
    Burning the equivalent of SVCD quality to a DVD could be achieved by using a
    higher level of compression when rendering the DVD files.

    Bill, Feb 15, 2004

  3. yehuda ernst

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Not with Nero, you'll need a DVD authoring program if you already have the
    SVCD files. Nero will not transcode the video files.

    Pug Fugley, Feb 15, 2004
  4. yehuda ernst

    Nuhl Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:51:34 +0200, "yehuda ernst" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >can i burn svcd on dvd ?
    >i looked in my nero program and i have this option only in the cd mode
    >
    >Thanks

    Yea you can but it takes some work to get them on DVD without
    re-encoding the video.

    Check out a program called "SVCD2DVD" it works great, although some
    players may have trouble playing back the dvds created with it. You
    can use it to put multiple VCDs and SVCDs on a DVD-R without any
    re-encoding or loss of quality from the original file.

    Nuhl, Feb 17, 2004
  5. "yehuda ernst" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > can i burn svcd on dvd ?
    > i looked in my nero program and i have this option only in the cd mode
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, you can do this.

    Here's how:

    Use VCDEasy to extract the .DAT file from an already burned SVCD, if you
    have a BIN & CUE file, mount it with Alcohol 120% or similar program, and
    use VCDEasy on the virtual drive, or burn the BIN & CUE to a CD-RW disc and
    then use VCDEasy like normal, or if you have MPG files on your hard drive,
    you can skip this altogether.

    Now that you have the MPG file (VCDEasy converts the .DAT to a .MPG), use
    TMPGEnc (free for this) to seperate the video from the audio, to create an
    M2V file and either an MPA or MP2 file. Now, you can delete the MPG file to
    save space.

    What you then do is take the MP2 file or MPA file (it doesnt matter since
    they're the same thing), use BeSweet (free) to convert it to an AC3, with
    256kbps, at 48khz. That will need to be resampled, since SVCD = 44.1khz &
    DVD = 48khz. You will need to download SSRC (free) in order to resample.

    BTW, all these programs are available at www.doom9.org ... you might have to
    search for SSRC on google.com though.

    Alright, now you've got an M2V and an AC3. And you'll no doubt have
    multiple SVCDs that you want to burn together. You can actually fit about 5
    full SVCDs on 1 DVD disc easily, so you're going to now have (in an extreme
    example), 5 M2V files and 5 AC3 files.

    Geez, I sure hope you're keeping these filenames straight so you know what
    audio goes with what video.

    Alright, now you can use a DVD Authoring program to make a DVD. I use
    DVD-Lab, and it works nice with SVCD sized M2V files. So, I load all the
    M2Vs and all the AC3s to DVD-Lab. Then I create enough movies so that I
    have 5 movies in the project. I load up the corresponding video & audio
    files into each movie, create a simple menu, and then author it.

    Then I test it to make sure it worked (PowerDVD is what I use to play the
    DVD files on Hard Drive) and then I can burn it to DVD.

    There ya go, SVCD on DVD.

    As you can see, it is almost worth having 5 SVCDs instead of the 1 DVD.

    Anonymous Joe, Feb 18, 2004
  6. yehuda ernst

    Paul Jackson Guest

    Try using svcd2dvd. It seem pretty good to me.

    http://www.svcd2dvd.com/

    Paul Jackson, Feb 21, 2004