    (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
    plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
    discs?
    cowboyz, Dec 26, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:bsgfb6$49q$...
    > Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

    if
    > it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
    > DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

    And
    > play it on a stand alone DVD player.
    >
    > Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

    warehouse
    > (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
    > plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
    > discs?

    By shoving one into it. Also you can put the Ronnie Barker film "Porridge"
    into it and tell me if the sound is very badly out of sync on it. It's the
    only one I've seen that causes a problem. Despite that it's a good enough
    buy.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 26, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > I was wondering
    > if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies
    > onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to
    > see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.

    Cannot see why not...

    How do you intend to create the menus?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 26, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering
    >> if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of
    >> movies onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie
    >> you want to see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.

    > Cannot see why not...
    >
    > How do you intend to create the menus?
    >
    > Lennier

    I have no idea yet.
    playing Mr surfer man right now but got distracted trying to figure out how
    to resample xbox ingame movies
    cowboyz, Dec 26, 2003
  5. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the warehouse
    > (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
    > plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
    > discs?

    For playback, +r or -r don't matter.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 26, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
    >> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award)
    >> which looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out
    >> if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

    > For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

    It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

    If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
    DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.
    cowboyz, Dec 26, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    Burt Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

    if
    > it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
    > DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

    And
    > play it on a stand alone DVD player.
    >
    > Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

    warehouse
    > (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
    > plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
    > discs?

    Best software for what you want is here:

    http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com

    Does conversion and menu creation all in one.

    Cheers

    Burt
    Burt, Dec 26, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Burt wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was
    >> wondering if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a
    >> couple of movies onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select
    >> the movie you want to see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.
    >>
    >> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
    >> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award)
    >> which looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out
    >> if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?
    >>

    > Best software for what you want is here:
    >
    > http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com
    >
    > Does conversion and menu creation all in one.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Burt

    that looks good. now all I need is a dvd burner!
    cowboyz, Dec 26, 2003
  9. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:37:02 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    >> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

    > It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

    Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.

    > If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
    > DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

    +RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.

    The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats out
    there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for market
    share.

    If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal, but
    dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.

    .... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
    matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 27, 2003
  10. cowboyz

    Tim Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
    >> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which
    >> looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it
    >> wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

    > For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

    Some players are picky about what discs they will play. Only way to know
    for sure is to put one in and see.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Dec 27, 2003
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:37:02 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > >> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

    > > It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

    > Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.
    >
    > > If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
    > > DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

    > +RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.
    >
    > The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats out
    > there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for market
    > share.
    >
    > If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal, but
    > dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.
    >
    > ... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
    > matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.

    Ive seen a Liteon DVD+-R dual writer for $227 which is hardly a budget
    blowout. The writer I was looking at was a -r writer for $149 but it is
    only a 2x. I might just pay the minimal extra for 4x writing. The thing I
    am most concerned about is I loan discs to friends and it would be a pain
    in the arse to buy a -r writer and find they can't play the discs (or the
    other way around)

    Dual writer might just be safer in the long run.

    PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM list?
    cowboyz, Dec 27, 2003
  12. cowboyz

    Mutley Guest

    "Burt" <> wrote:

    >"cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

    >if
    >> it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
    >> DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

    >And
    >> play it on a stand alone DVD player.
    >>
    >> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

    >warehouse
    >> (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
    >> plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
    >> discs?
    >>

    >Best software for what you want is here:
    >
    >http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com
    >
    >Does conversion and menu creation all in one.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Burt

    Had a play with this today. However when I played the resultant file
    it was left justified. Checking the P&S area didn't fix it..

    Though the package does a good job at converting SCVD to SVCD
    recordable to DVD media..
    Mutley, Dec 27, 2003
  13. cowboyz

    Tim Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:bsj30n$9h8$:

    > "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message

    >> > It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the
    >> > truth.

    >> Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.
    >>
    >> > If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It
    >> > seems DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

    >> +RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.
    >>
    >> The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats
    >> out there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for
    >> market share.
    >>
    >> If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal,
    >> but dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.
    >>
    >> ... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
    >> matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.
    >>

    > Ive seen a Liteon DVD+-R dual writer for $227 which is hardly a budget
    > blowout. The writer I was looking at was a -r writer for $149 but it
    > is only a 2x. I might just pay the minimal extra for 4x writing. The
    > thing I am most concerned about is I loan discs to friends and it
    > would be a pain in the arse to buy a -r writer and find they can't
    > play the discs (or the other way around)
    >
    > Dual writer might just be safer in the long run.
    >
    > PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM
    > list?

    Nope - their CD writers are generally good but unfortunately their dvd
    writers are very problematic.
    The Pioneer 106 or A06 are generally regarded as very good writers - if
    you are in Auckland a couple of PC shops up there have them for about
    $260 or so - check pricespy.
    I will be getting a 106 myself in a couple of weeks - i've asked a few
    owners and they are all very impressed with them. The 106 is the OEM
    drive, A06 is the retail boxed version.

    Tim, Dec 27, 2003
  14. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:bsj30n$9h8$:
    >

    > > PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM
    > > list?

    > Nope - their CD writers are generally good but unfortunately their dvd
    > writers are very problematic.
    > The Pioneer 106 or A06 are generally regarded as very good writers - if
    > you are in Auckland a couple of PC shops up there have them for about
    > $260 or so - check pricespy.
    > I will be getting a 106 myself in a couple of weeks - i've asked a few
    > owners and they are all very impressed with them. The 106 is the OEM
    > drive, A06 is the retail boxed version.
    >
    > --
    > Tim
    > - <insert witty signature here>

    **** it.

    Although I seem to have a really good run with CrapTM gear. I'm pretty busy
    over the next week while workers are taking holidays so I'll think about it
    over new year.
    cowboyz, Dec 27, 2003