    about the data, just want to make sure the drive isn't salvageable before I
    go get a new one.

    Thanks
    HC, Nov 2, 2004

  2. HC

    SwissTony Guest

    "HC" <> wrote in message
    news:ZsThd.85021$9b.71764@edtnps84...
    > I suspect I have a dead hard drive in my Preserio 2100. It won't boot to
    > Windows, and when I boot to the XP Recovery Console and run CHKDSK, it

    hangs
    > at 20%.
    >
    > Are there any other techniques I can use to confirm it's dead? I don't

    care
    > about the data, just want to make sure the drive isn't salvageable before

    > go get a new one.
    >
    > Thanks

    find out the make of your hard drive, go to the company's website and
    download their diagnostic tools.
    mine died yesterday 160gig of data all gone :eek:( good new is that the
    company i got it from will replace it even though i have had it for 7 months
    SwissTony, Nov 2, 2004

  3. HC

    HC Guest

    SwissTony" <> wrote
    > find out the make of your hard drive, go to the company's website and
    > download their diagnostic tools.

    It's a Compaq. According to their tech support, their diagnostic tools for
    DOS only run on Desktop computers, not Laptops. Their diagnostic tools for
    Laptops are only for Windows. :-/

    The funny part was when they had me download Hitatchi's diagnostic tool...
    ....which doesn't work with Compaq drives. *sigh*
    HC, Nov 2, 2004
  4. "HC" <> wrote in message
    > SwissTony" <> wrote
    > > find out the make of your hard drive, go to the company's website and
    > > download their diagnostic tools.

    > It's a Compaq. According to their tech support, their diagnostic tools

    for
    > DOS only run on Desktop computers, not Laptops. Their diagnostic tools

    for
    > Laptops are only for Windows. :-/
    >
    > The funny part was when they had me download Hitatchi's diagnostic tool...
    > ...which doesn't work with Compaq drives. *sigh*

    Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.
    Anyway my Compaq Laptop HD is by IBM and yup a DOS based diag tool is
    available.
    It's been a while but Compaq had a site which detailed *ALL* the hardware of
    a particular Laptop Model where you could find details on the Model/Brand of
    HD and ofourse order spare parts if required.
    Use.Netuser.de, Nov 2, 2004
  5. HC

    SgtMinor Guest

    Try SpinRite, not cheap but very good: http://www.grc.com

    SgtMinor, Nov 2, 2004
  6. HC

    HC Guest

    "Use.Netuser.de" <> wrote
    > Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.

    Looks like you're right. It's a Toshiba drive.

    Unfortunately...

    "Toshiba doesn't have a license to bundle any Disk Manager or diagnostic
    software with the HDD at the time of supply.
    We also do not distribute this software as a separate item."

    SpinRite it is!
    HC, Nov 3, 2004
  7. "HC" <> wrote ...
    > "Use.Netuser.de" <> wrote
    > > Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.

    > Looks like you're right. It's a Toshiba drive.
    >
    > Unfortunately...
    > "Toshiba doesn't have a license to bundle any Disk Manager or diagnostic
    > software with the HDD at the time of supply.
    > We also do not distribute this software as a separate item."

    I find it hard to believe a manufacturer of OEM drives only supply these to
    OEM's therefore by default would offer some sort of Disk Manager/Diagnostics
    .... it's ridiculous that they need a license to assure the functionality [or
    test the same] of their devices! Anyway goodluck but I'll look a little
    deeper as you may find a free-ware diagnostic tool out there.

    > SpinRite it is!

    SpinRite was free at one point specifically for ZIP drives if memeory serves
    me!?
    Use.Netuser.de, Nov 3, 2004
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    2 Nov 2004 23:36:53 -0000, "Use.Netuser.de"
    <> screamed from behind the mulberry
    bush:

    >"HC" <> wrote in message
    >> SwissTony" <> wrote
    >> > find out the make of your hard drive, go to the company's website and
    >> > download their diagnostic tools.

    >> It's a Compaq. According to their tech support, their diagnostic tools

    >for
    >> DOS only run on Desktop computers, not Laptops. Their diagnostic tools

    >for
    >> Laptops are only for Windows. :-/
    >>
    >> The funny part was when they had me download Hitatchi's diagnostic tool...
    >> ...which doesn't work with Compaq drives. *sigh*

    >Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.

    They don't actually make anything they slap together. It's all
    outsourced and they rebrand. That's why everything they put together
    is junk.

    >Anyway my Compaq Laptop HD is by IBM and yup a DOS based diag tool is
    >available.

    You must have an ancient laptop, IBM sold off their hard drive
    division to Hitachi after the Deskstar debacle. You can get all their
    diag tools from Hitachi now.

    >It's been a while but Compaq had a site which detailed *ALL* the hardware of
    >a particular Laptop Model where you could find details on the Model/Brand of
    >HD and ofourse order spare parts if required.

    They still do, but their systems are still overpriced junk.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 3, 2004
  9. "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote ...
    > >Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.

    > They don't actually make anything they slap together. It's all
    > outsourced and they rebrand. That's why everything they put together
    > is junk.

    Mmm I beg to differ on that. I have a Presario 1830 which I've had for
    around 4 years and it's rock solid after taking around the world as a
    commissioning tool.
    The only thying that broke was the floppy when I threw the bag in the back
    of a truck but easily got a replcement for 25 quid.

    > >Anyway my Compaq Laptop HD is by IBM and yup a DOS based diag tool is
    > >available.

    > You must have an ancient laptop, IBM sold off their hard drive
    > division to Hitachi after the Deskstar debacle. You can get all their
    > diag tools from Hitachi now.

    Yeah she's old but works fine even plays DivX/XviD/DVD's with no issue.

    > >It's been a while but Compaq had a site which detailed *ALL* the hardware

    of
    > >a particular Laptop Model where you could find details on the Model/Brand

    of
    > >HD and ofourse order spare parts if required.

    > They still do, but their systems are still overpriced junk.

    Yeah over priced it was at $3000 in NY but to buy the same model in the UK
    at that time was over 3k GBP
    Use.Netuser.de, Nov 3, 2004
  10. HC

    zippy do da Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    > 2 Nov 2004 23:36:53 -0000, "Use.Netuser.de"
    > <> screamed from behind the mulberry
    > bush:
    >

    >>"HC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>SwissTony" <> wrote

    >>>It's a Compaq. According to their tech support, their diagnostic tools

    >>for
    >>
    >>>DOS only run on Desktop computers, not Laptops. Their diagnostic tools

    >>for
    >>
    >>>Laptops are only for Windows. :-/
    >>>
    >>>The funny part was when they had me download Hitatchi's diagnostic tool...
    >>>...which doesn't work with Compaq drives. *sigh*

    >>Compaq don't produce HD's AFAIK.

    > They don't actually make anything they slap together. It's all
    > outsourced and they rebrand. That's why everything they put together
    > is junk.
    >

    >>Anyway my Compaq Laptop HD is by IBM and yup a DOS based diag tool is
    >>available.

    > You must have an ancient laptop, IBM sold off their hard drive
    > division to Hitachi after the Deskstar debacle. You can get all their
    > diag tools from Hitachi now.
    >

    >>It's been a while but Compaq had a site which detailed *ALL* the hardware of
    >>a particular Laptop Model where you could find details on the Model/Brand of
    >>HD and ofourse order spare parts if required.

    > They still do, but their systems are still overpriced junk.
    >
    > Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    I remember my old 486 from digital called long distance one time a long
    long time ago way back when whoo 486 were cool. got I am sorry sir were
    multi-vender forgot what I paid back then for that call. Great I wasted
    x number of dollars to find out they could figure that out eighter well
    hell he he, I already knew that I didn't back then eighter great. thanks
    for the extra on the phone bill for nothing back then in what 1985. he he

    mult vender: were not to sure who created that silly thing, but if you
    figure out how to get it to run please call back and expalain it to us
    at the company Please Please dear lord he he!!!
    zippy do da, Nov 4, 2004