Suspect TCP throttling by ISP, port 3724 , how do I debug it further?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Old Wolf, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    I have been having latency problems in Warcraft for the last
    2 days or so. The game is OK when not much is happening,
    but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
    have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
    (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
    explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
    on the TCP connection used by the game.

    However, I can ping the server (actually, the last router on
    the path to the server; the actual server blocks ICMP) and
    get a perfectly steady 250-300ms ping continually, even
    when I am observing the in-game latency. Also, HTTP
    to normal websites is fast and trouble-free.

    How would I go about analysing the problem further now? Is
    there a tool for Windows that I can use like 'snoop' in Solaris,
    for example, that will catalogue all of the packets on a connection,
    or report on packetloss and TCP re-transmits etc. on the connection?

    Currently I'm trying to get a tunnel set up between myself
    and a friend who does not have the problem on his connection,
    that would be pretty conclusive if it fixed the problem for me.
    Old Wolf, Oct 28, 2007

  2. Re: Suspect TCP throttling by ISP, port 3724 , how do I debug itfurther?

    http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/ may do the trick
    Mark Robinson, Oct 28, 2007

  3. Old Wolf

    bok Guest

    Old Wolf wrote:

    > How would I go about analysing the problem further now? Is
    > there a tool for Windows that I can use like 'snoop' in Solaris,
    > for example, that will catalogue all of the packets on a connection,
    > or report on packetloss and TCP re-transmits etc. on the connection?

    You could try wireshark (formerly Ethereal)
    http://www.wireshark.org/

    or windump
    http://www.winpcap.org/windump/
    bok, Oct 28, 2007
  4. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Oct 28, 11:36 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > The game is OK when not much is happening,
    > but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
    > have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
    > (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
    > explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
    > on the TCP connection used by the game.
    >
    > How would I go about analysing the problem further now?

    Murphy's law .. as soon as I ask for help, I solve the problem
    on my own :) I managed to establish an SSH tunnel to a friend
    in Christchurch, and then was able to connect to the game server
    via the tunnel at a blazingly fast speed (faster than my direct
    connection has ever been , in fact). Am now questioning my ISP
    about the issue.

    Thanks to those who did reply already!
    Old Wolf, Oct 28, 2007
  5. Old Wolf

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 06:18:48 -0700, Old Wolf <> wrote:

    >On Oct 28, 11:36 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    >> The game is OK when not much is happening,
    >> but as soon as the action hots up, I get huge lag spikes. I
    >> have painstakingly eliminated every in-game possibility
    >> (video, audio, disk, memory, etc. etc.) and the most likely
    >> explanation is that there is packetloss (at least 10% or so)
    >> on the TCP connection used by the game.
    >>
    >> How would I go about analysing the problem further now?

    >Murphy's law .. as soon as I ask for help, I solve the problem
    >on my own :) I managed to establish an SSH tunnel to a friend
    >in Christchurch, and then was able to connect to the game server
    >via the tunnel at a blazingly fast speed (faster than my direct
    >connection has ever been , in fact). Am now questioning my ISP
    >about the issue.
    >
    >Thanks to those who did reply already!

    Who's your ISP, and who was your friend through?
    Craig Shore, Oct 29, 2007