    know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly just
    an error?

    Depresion, Jul 14, 2003

  2. "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    news:KWwQa.9003$...
    > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a file
    > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    express's
    > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    anyone
    > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    just
    > an error?

    It's a well known issue with OE. This temp file is a copy of the address
    book that appears whenever changes are made to the original. Many user have
    them appear on their desktops after applying SP1, but the temp location can
    be just about anywhere :)

    John E. Carty, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a

    file
    > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    express's
    > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    anyone
    > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    just
    > an error?

    What is the name of the file?

    --
    Best regards,
    Don Kelloway

    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
    on the Internet".

    Don Kelloway, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Depresion

    mto Guest

    "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a file
    > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    express's
    > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    anyone
    > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    just
    > an error?

    Might as well have nothing as having Norton - up to date or not. Get
    PcCillin http://www.antivirus.com or McAffee http://www.mcafee.com. I
    prefer the PcCillin.

    If you have SpyBot Search and Destroy (free at
    http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en ) it has a tool that will shred
    the file in such a way that it will not be recoverable.

    mto, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Depresion

    Depresion Guest

    "John E. Carty" <> wrote in message news:fRxQa.73678$...

    > "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a file
    > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    > express's
    > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    > anyone
    > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    > just
    > > an error?
    > >

    > It's a well known issue with OE. This temp file is a copy of the address
    > book that appears whenever changes are made to the original. Many user have
    > them appear on their desktops after applying SP1, but the temp location can
    > be just about anywhere :)

    Thanks sounds like a Microsoft bug.

    Depresion, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Depresion

    Depresion Guest

    "Don Kelloway" <> wrote in message news:%myQa.50$%...
    > "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a

    > file
    > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    > express's
    > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    > anyone
    > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    > just
    > > an error?
    > >

    > What is the name of the file?

    It's just "~" with out the quotes.

    Depresion, Jul 14, 2003
  7. In article <%myQa.50$%>,
    says...
    > "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a

    > file
    > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    > express's
    > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose

    > anyone
    > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly

    > just
    > > an error?
    > >

    > What is the name of the file?

    Don,

    Are you really that goddamn stupid?

    Don't _even_ attempt to reply back to this. Just re-read the original
    post and figure it out for yourself, when you do, go ahead and stick a
    boot in your own ass for being so dense.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

    Everything about Usenet answered:
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

    America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 14, 2003
  8. Depresion

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:16:41 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >Are you really that goddamn stupid

    are you really that fucking rude?
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jul 14, 2003
  9. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    #1 - I didn't think the filename was simply a tilde with no extension.
    Don't fault me for wanting to verify something that could have been posted
    by mistake.

    #2 - Since when do I deserve the level of rudeness offered in your post?
    Your attitude was uncalled for and certainly not appreciated.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 14, 2003
  10. "LLFormat" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:46:50 GMT, "John E. Carty"
    > <> typed the following stuff :
    >
    > >The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
    > >330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address book

    in
    > >Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
    > >Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed

    there.

    > Thanks for that. I had it appear on my desktop today, and of course, I

    have
    > the 330994 patch.
    >
    > Is that it ? Just one file created ? I hope so. It's not a huge problem

    but
    > it's kind of annoying ...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > LLFormat.

    Just the one temp file. Microsoft is currently working on a fix, though it's
    really just an annoyance :)

    John E. Carty, Jul 14, 2003
  11. In article <>,
    says...

    I didn't pull your chain. Shut the **** up and sit in the corner.

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 14, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > > You didn't read.
    > >
    > > He said the file name. Next time, read the fucking post and understand
    > > it.
    > >
    > > As for my being rude, get over it. We're in an adult world, rude is a
    > > part of life. Don't like it? Kill file me.
    > >

    > OK, I did...

    in the hopes that you meant that you kill-filed me, cool. one less idiot
    to deal with.

    Colonel Flagg, Jul 14, 2003
  13. Depresion rambled on about something in
    <KWwQa.9003$>:

    > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
    > file who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in
    > notepad to find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in
    > outlook express's contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy
    > of the wab file, dose anyone know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan
    > type thing) that would have created this copy (I have an up to date
    > Norton AV running) or is it more lightly just an error?

    Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
    bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear somewhere.

    HTH

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 15, 2003
  14. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in message

    found a

    > >> Don,
    > >>
    > >> Are you really that goddamn stupid?
    > >>
    > >> Don't _even_ attempt to reply back to this. Just re-read the original
    > >> post and figure it out for yourself, when you do, go ahead and stick

    > >> boot in your own ass for being so dense.

    > >#1 - I didn't think the filename was simply a tilde with no extension.
    > >Don't fault me for wanting to verify something that could have been

    posted
    > >by mistake.

    > Have you never before seen a file named ~ ?? I see them all the
    > time. Your comment "I didn't think" is very appropriate.
    >
    > >#2 - Since when do I deserve the level of rudeness offered in your

    post?
    > >Your attitude was uncalled for and certainly not appreciated.

    > See my other message about this. Rudeness is called for when people
    > ask stupid questions or make stupid comments. Your message qualifies.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
    > If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
    > about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

    No. I haven't seen files named '~' and a search of my hard drive fails to
    reveal any. However I have seen and do have files with the tilde as the
    leading character with TMP files. Hence my question.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  15. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Thund3rstruck" <> wrote in message
    > Depresion rambled on about something in
    > <KWwQa.9003$>:
    >
    > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
    > > file who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in
    > > notepad to find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in
    > > outlook express's contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy
    > > of the wab file, dose anyone know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan
    > > type thing) that would have created this copy (I have an up to date
    > > Norton AV running) or is it more lightly just an error?

    > Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
    > bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear somewhere.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > NOI

    re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"

    Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
    filename in its entirety. <grin>

    However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask the
    question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have just
    labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from them.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  16. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <z5JQa.82$%>,
    > says...
    >
    > > You're right. We are in an adult world. Why don't you consider

    acting
    > > like one or is that what we should continue to expect from a person

    who
    > > uses the pseudonym of a television character known for being a dim

    bulb?

    > Your idea of acting like an adult is completely different from mine. I
    > expect a little intelligence when reading a tech group. Sorry if I can't
    > find any in your posts.
    >
    > Justifying your reasoning _after_ a post is made is typical of someone
    > short of knowledge and low of I.Q. One of these days, I suspect you'll
    > learn to read properly and take your A.D.D. medicine to enable you to
    > concentrate fully.
    >
    > I'll excuse your lameness one last time, after that, you're to be flamed
    > at every given opportunity. Now run along and take your medicine.

    Thank you for answering the question of what we are to expect from you.

    If you should decide to follow through with your threat to flame my posts
    at every given opportunity. Then I can only suggest that you don your
    flame retardant suit, as the backlash may be more than what you'd expect.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  17. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <8iJQa.98$%>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Thund3rstruck" <> wrote in message
    > > > Depresion rambled on about something in

    in

    copy

    date

    > > > Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
    > > > bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear

    somewhere.

    > > > HTH
    > > >
    > > > NOI

    > > re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"
    > >
    > > Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
    > > filename in its entirety. <grin>
    > >
    > > However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask

    the
    > > question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have just
    > > labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from

    them.

    > at least this person knew of a bug centering on a filename of "~" rather
    > than not knowing anything about it.
    >
    > don't back track Mr. Commode, you had no clue and you know it.

    What is there to back track? I never stated that I knew what the cause of
    the issue was at the time of my post. I merely asked the poster a
    question as to what the filename was. It's a simple as that.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  18. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > In article <8iJQa.98$%>,
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > "Thund3rstruck" <> wrote in

    message

    found

    in

    addresses
    > in

    > copy

    (virus/worm/Trojan

    > date

    > somewhere.

    > > > re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"
    > > >
    > > > Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
    > > > filename in its entirety. <grin>
    > > >
    > > > However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask

    > the
    > > > question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have

    just
    > > > labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from

    > them.
    > > >

    > > at least this person knew of a bug centering on a filename of "~"

    rather
    > > than not knowing anything about it.
    > >
    > > don't back track Mr. Commode, you had no clue and you know it.
    > >

    > What is there to back track? I never stated that I knew what the cause

    of
    > the issue was at the time of my post. I merely asked the poster a
    > question as to what the filename was. It's a simple as that.

    On second thought. You knew nothing about the issue yourself! As a
    matter of fact you contributed nothing to the thread other than to
    demonstrate your lack of ability to act like an adult.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  19. Depresion

    Don Kelloway Guest

    > "Don Kelloway" <> wrote in message
    > > "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a

    > > file
    > > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad

    > > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

    > > express's
    > > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file,

    dose
    > > anyone
    > > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have

    created
    > > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more

    lightly
    > > just
    > > > an error?
    > > >

    > > What is the name of the file?
    > >

    > The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
    > 330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address

    book in
    > Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
    > Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed

    there.

    John,

    I apologize for not responding earlier.

    While I have the 330994 patch applied, the '~' file didn't exist because I
    never used the WAB.

    Thanks for the information. It's always good to know.

    Don Kelloway, Jul 15, 2003
  20. "Don Kelloway" <> wrote in message
    > "John E. Carty" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Don Kelloway" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Depresion" <> wrote in message
    > > > file

    > > > express's

    > dose
    > > > anyone

    > created

    > lightly
    > > > just
    > > > >

    > > > What is the name of the file?
    > > >

    > > The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
    > > 330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address

    > book in
    > > Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
    > > Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed

    > there.
    > >

    > John,
    >
    > I apologize for not responding earlier.
    >
    > While I have the 330994 patch applied, the '~' file didn't exist because I
    > never used the WAB.
    >
    > Thanks for the information. It's always good to know.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Don Kelloway
    > Commodon Communications