    but I think well worth a look. If it runs on my hardware (1.7 celery.
    9200se, 1gb), and is user-friendly and reliable, I think I'll dump Xp.
    (when this is on full release)

    Shank, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Shank

    Allistar Guest

    Shank wrote:

    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=crash
    >
    > I've looked at multiple flavors of linux, running 3 on different boxes
    > now, but none have come close (imho) to doing what I want.
    >
    > I'm d'ling this in a few days, when my monthly quota restarts. 3 1/2 gb,
    > but I think well worth a look. If it runs on my hardware (1.7 celery.
    > 9200se, 1gb), and is user-friendly and reliable, I think I'll dump Xp.
    > (when this is on full release)

    What sorts of things don't the other distro's do that you want? Maybe we can
    help out. I've used Mandrake, Suse (SLES9) and Gentoo (which is my current
    favourite).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 2, 2006

  3. Hi there,

    Shank wrote:
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=crash
    >
    > I've looked at multiple flavors of linux, running 3 on different boxes
    > now, but none have come close (imho) to doing what I want.
    >
    > I'm d'ling this in a few days, when my monthly quota restarts. 3 1/2 gb,
    > but I think well worth a look. If it runs on my hardware (1.7 celery.
    > 9200se, 1gb), and is user-friendly and reliable, I think I'll dump Xp.
    > (when this is on full release)

    SuSE is good. It *should* install with little drama on your hardware.
    ATI graphics cards can be tricky to setup, but newest versions of
    the proprietary ATI driver should work OK on the 9200se. I think it best
    to install as a dual-boot system, so you can still have Windows to run
    if some aspect of SuSE isn't able to work for you (that goes both ways).

    I've used SuSE since v9.2 (now 10.1), and have come to grips with many
    aspects of setting it up for best performance. If you have questions
    post to nz.comp and I'll see what I can do to help...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 3, 2006
  4. Shank

    Shank Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Shank wrote:
    >
    >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=crash
    >>
    >> I've looked at multiple flavors of linux, running 3 on different boxes
    >> now, but none have come close (imho) to doing what I want.
    >>
    >> I'm d'ling this in a few days, when my monthly quota restarts. 3 1/2
    >> gb, but I think well worth a look. If it runs on my hardware (1.7
    >> celery. 9200se, 1gb), and is user-friendly and reliable, I think I'll
    >> dump Xp. (when this is on full release)

    > SuSE is good. It *should* install with little drama on your hardware.
    > ATI graphics cards can be tricky to setup, but newest versions of
    > the proprietary ATI driver should work OK on the 9200se. I think it best
    > to install as a dual-boot system, so you can still have Windows to run
    > if some aspect of SuSE isn't able to work for you (that goes both ways).
    >
    > I've used SuSE since v9.2 (now 10.1), and have come to grips with many
    > aspects of setting it up for best performance. If you have questions
    > post to nz.comp and I'll see what I can do to help...

    I have a spare 64mb MX if the ATI doesn't set up properly, but I doubt
    that it would run one of the better features of this pre-release, the 3d
    desktop, or Xgl in their terminology, which leaves Vista Aero for dead.
    I don't think my 9200 will run it either, but it's worth a try. If it
    doesn't, well I've been looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.

    I'm running triple boot on this box at the mo'. Xp, Vista and Ubuntu.
    But I'm going to replace the Ubuntu with D SL-N
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/ .I've had DSL running on a P2 450
    for a while. Small footprint, fast, myDSL etc., and DSL-N has more apps
    and 2.6.11 kernel. Another thing I like about DSL is that it can be run
    from a cd or usb pen drive from inside Windows.

    The SuSE will be replacing the Vista beta. Then again, I might hive off
    40gb from the Vista partition instead. That'l be interesting, 4 os's on
    one box.

    Sheesh, wish I could afford to upgrade my datacap. I use my 5gb up
    within a week and have to scrimp for the rest of the month. I wish
    Telstraclear would throttle instead of charging like a wounded rhino for
    exceeding it.

    Rob

    Shank, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Shank

    DaveD Guest

    Shank wrote:

    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-199899523054020719&q=crash
    >
    > I've looked at multiple flavors of linux, running 3 on different boxes
    > now, but none have come close (imho) to doing what I want.
    >
    > I'm d'ling this in a few days, when my monthly quota restarts. 3 1/2 gb,
    > but I think well worth a look. If it runs on my hardware (1.7 celery.
    > 9200se, 1gb), and is user-friendly and reliable, I think I'll dump Xp.
    > (when this is on full release)

    Depending on how you value your quota, time etc. have a look here
    http://www.copyleft.co.nz/suse.html and save the hassle

    Usual disclaimers .. just a satisfied customer etc

    DaveD

    DaveD, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Shank

    Shank Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > I don't think my 9200 will run it either, but it's worth a try. If it
    > doesn't, well I've been looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.

    Finally found the supported hardware list, and my 9200 is a definite
    no-no for Xgl, so I won't be getting it for a wee while yet.

    Shank, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Shank

    Shank Guest

    DaveD wrote:
    > Depending on how you value your quota, time etc. have a look here
    > http://www.copyleft.co.nz/suse.html and save the hassle
    >
    > Usual disclaimers .. just a satisfied customer etc
    >
    > DaveD

    Thanks Dave, but seeing as I've just found that my 9200 won't run Xgl
    anyway, it's a moot point until I can afford to upgrade the card.

    Looks like it's time to get my horde of bits and pieces onto trademe.

    Cheers

    Rob

    Shank, Jul 3, 2006
  8. Shank

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 02:17:16 +1200, Shank <Here@home> wrote:

    >Shank wrote:
    >> I don't think my 9200 will run it either, but it's worth a try. If it
    >> doesn't, well I've been looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.
    >>

    >Finally found the supported hardware list, and my 9200 is a definite
    >no-no for Xgl, so I won't be getting it for a wee while yet.

    Where is this hardware list? I can count out my 7500?

    GraB, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Shank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 02:17:16 +1200, Shank <Here@home> wrote:
    >
    > > Shank wrote:
    > > > I don't think my 9200 will run it either, but it's worth a try.
    > > > If it doesn't, well I've been looking for an excuse to replace it
    > > > anyway.
    > > >

    > > Finally found the supported hardware list, and my 9200 is a definite
    > > no-no for Xgl, so I won't be getting it for a wee while yet.

    > Where is this hardware list? I can count out my 7500?

    I'd like to know too. (GF4 ti4200 here) Also where to download it from.

    Side-note: I used Partition magic to make a 40GB space at the end of one of
    my HDDs with the intent of installing Suse 10 as I have it here on DL-DVD-R.
    Nowhere in the install proces did it inform me that it was just going to use
    the free space (and I chose the 'expert' interface) although the partition
    sizes it mentioned seemed to be about right if it *was* going to use the
    unpartitioned area. Then, on the last pre-install screen it said something
    along the lines of "Click to accept, <mention of the existsing windows
    partitions and 'mount points for them> note, formatting will delete any data
    on the disk".

    Ambigous or what? I was 80% confident that it was only going to install on
    the free space but the 'mount point' thing for the windows partitions
    worried me. (The actual Windows boot partition is on an SATA drive on a PCI
    adapter that wasn't detetcted by the install routine, I was concerned that
    Suse thought they were 'orphan' partitions and was going to modify them).
    80% wasn't good enough, my programs partition and a shgit-load of data that
    I wanted to access in Windows was on that drive. Also, as it hadn't found my
    Windows boot drive, I was concerned that it wouldn't give me a dual-boot
    option. I have *very* minimal linux experience, mainly live CDs.

    I aborted the installation. :-(
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2006
  10. Shank

    Shank Guest

    http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl#Hardware_Advisory

    Shank, Jul 4, 2006
  11. Shank

    Shank Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Side-note: I used Partition magic to make a 40GB space at the end of one of
    > my HDDs with the intent of installing Suse 10 as I have it here on DL-DVD-R.
    > Nowhere in the install proces did it inform me that it was just going to use
    > the free space (and I chose the 'expert' interface) although the partition
    > sizes it mentioned seemed to be about right if it *was* going to use the
    > unpartitioned area. Then, on the last pre-install screen it said something
    > along the lines of "Click to accept, <mention of the existsing windows
    > partitions and 'mount points for them> note, formatting will delete any data
    > on the disk".
    >
    > Ambigous or what? I was 80% confident that it was only going to install on
    > the free space but the 'mount point' thing for the windows partitions
    > worried me. (The actual Windows boot partition is on an SATA drive on a PCI
    > adapter that wasn't detetcted by the install routine, I was concerned that
    > Suse thought they were 'orphan' partitions and was going to modify them).
    > 80% wasn't good enough, my programs partition and a shgit-load of data that
    > I wanted to access in Windows was on that drive. Also, as it hadn't found my
    > Windows boot drive, I was concerned that it wouldn't give me a dual-boot
    > option. I have *very* minimal linux experience, mainly live CDs.
    >
    > I aborted the installation. :-(

    Uhuh. Same prob. Had XP taking total disk. Used Partition Magic to split
    it for Vista, and hosed my XP install. Luckily I had full backups, so
    booted a linux live cd and used cfdisk to create

    2 linux partitions (root and swap)

    2 fat32 partitions.

    Installed XP and then used disk management to format the spare fat32
    partition to ntfs.

    Installed Vista

    Installed Ubuntu which set up grub for boot management.

    I'm going to try partition magic to split the Vista partition for SuSE.
    Not worried if it stuffs up Vista, as XP is my main os. Anything I do in
    Vista is synced with XP (and vice versa) with Syncback

    http://www.2brightsparks.com/

    I can't praise Syncback highly enough. The free version is excellent.

    Try the ultimate boot cd. It has 1/2 doz partition tools. One of them
    should do it safely. Make sure you do a full defrag and backup first though.

    Rob

    Shank, Jul 4, 2006
  12. Shank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Side-note: I used Partition magic to make a 40GB space at the end
    > > of one of my HDDs with the intent of installing Suse 10 as I have
    > > it here on DL-DVD-R. Nowhere in the install proces did it inform me
    > > that it was just going to use the free space (and I chose the
    > > 'expert' interface) although the partition sizes it mentioned
    > > seemed to be about right if it *was* going to use the unpartitioned
    > > area. Then, on the last pre-install screen it said something along
    > > the lines of "Click to accept, <mention of the existsing windows
    > > partitions and 'mount points for them> note, formatting will delete
    > > any data on the disk". Ambigous or what? I was 80% confident that it was
    > > only going to
    > > install on the free space but the 'mount point' thing for the
    > > windows partitions worried me. (The actual Windows boot partition
    > > is on an SATA drive on a PCI adapter that wasn't detetcted by the
    > > install routine, I was concerned that Suse thought they were
    > > 'orphan' partitions and was going to modify them). 80% wasn't good
    > > enough, my programs partition and a shgit-load of data that I
    > > wanted to access in Windows was on that drive. Also, as it hadn't
    > > found my Windows boot drive, I was concerned that it wouldn't give
    > > me a dual-boot option. I have *very* minimal linux experience,
    > > mainly live CDs. I aborted the installation. :-(

    > Uhuh. Same prob. Had XP taking total disk. Used Partition Magic to
    > split it for Vista, and hosed my XP install. Luckily I had full backups,
    > so
    > booted a linux live cd and used cfdisk to create
    >
    > 2 linux partitions (root and swap)
    >
    > 2 fat32 partitions.
    >
    > Installed XP and then used disk management to format the spare fat32
    > partition to ntfs.
    >
    > Installed Vista
    >
    > Installed Ubuntu which set up grub for boot management.
    >
    > I'm going to try partition magic to split the Vista partition for
    > SuSE. Not worried if it stuffs up Vista, as XP is my main os. Anything I
    > do
    > in Vista is synced with XP (and vice versa) with Syncback
    >
    > http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    >
    > I can't praise Syncback highly enough. The free version is excellent.
    >
    > Try the ultimate boot cd. It has 1/2 doz partition tools. One of them
    > should do it safely. Make sure you do a full defrag and backup first
    > though.

    Thanks Rob. However, having just re0installed XP and all my programmes/games
    twice in a week I'm not about to go risking things that could cause me to
    have to do the same thing again. I'm particular about how my PC is set up
    and it takes me a while to get it that way. Also I seem to use an inordinate
    amount of programmes. Installing them all again is a bitch.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2006
  13. Hi there,

    Shank wrote:
    > DaveD wrote:
    >
    >> Depending on how you value your quota, time etc. have a look here
    >> http://www.copyleft.co.nz/suse.html and save the hassle
    >>
    >> Usual disclaimers .. just a satisfied customer etc
    >>
    >> DaveD
    >>

    > Thanks Dave, but seeing as I've just found that my 9200 won't run Xgl
    > anyway, it's a moot point until I can afford to upgrade the card.
    >
    > Looks like it's time to get my horde of bits and pieces onto trademe.

    A low end AGP 8x/4x FX5200 or FX5500 should be ample to let XGL
    do its thing, at moderate screen resolutions. I've tested it on
    an FX5700TD at 2048x1536, and it ran nicely, so a slower card
    should handle 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 perhaps.

    NVidia drivers are better than ATI ones in Linux, so thats also
    a good reason to get an NVidia card...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 4, 2006
  14. Shank

    Allistar Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Shank wrote:
    >> DaveD wrote:
    >>
    >>> Depending on how you value your quota, time etc. have a look here
    >>> http://www.copyleft.co.nz/suse.html and save the hassle
    >>>
    >>> Usual disclaimers .. just a satisfied customer etc
    >>>
    >>> DaveD
    >>>

    >> Thanks Dave, but seeing as I've just found that my 9200 won't run Xgl
    >> anyway, it's a moot point until I can afford to upgrade the card.
    >>
    >> Looks like it's time to get my horde of bits and pieces onto trademe.

    > A low end AGP 8x/4x FX5200 or FX5500 should be ample to let XGL
    > do its thing, at moderate screen resolutions. I've tested it on
    > an FX5700TD at 2048x1536, and it ran nicely, so a slower card
    > should handle 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 perhaps.
    >
    > NVidia drivers are better than ATI ones in Linux, so thats also
    > a good reason to get an NVidia card...

    I have a triple head setup using Xinerama enabled KDE (on Gentoo). I cannot
    get xorg composite working at all in my setup, which rules out XGL. I'd
    love to have the eye candy of XGL on my primary desktop, but until I sort
    this out I'm out of luck. I heard of others having issues with Composite on
    triple head setups. I think it's because there are two cards involved (a
    PCI FX5200 and AGP Ti4200). The desktop background is visibkle but all
    other windows flicker on and off, as if they are continually repainting
    themselves.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 4, 2006
  15. Shank

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:47:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Rob. However, having just re0installed XP and all my programmes/games
    >twice in a week I'm not about to go risking things that could cause me to
    >have to do the same thing again. I'm particular about how my PC is set up
    >and it takes me a while to get it that way. Also I seem to use an inordinate
    >amount of programmes. Installing them all again is a bitch.

    One good idea is when you have it all installed and set, make an image
    of the drive. It saves a lot of time if you need to do it again.

    GraB, Jul 4, 2006
  16. Shank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:47:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Rob. However, having just re0installed XP and all my
    > > programmes/games twice in a week I'm not about to go risking things
    > > that could cause me to have to do the same thing again. I'm
    > > particular about how my PC is set up and it takes me a while to get
    > > it that way. Also I seem to use an inordinate amount of programmes.
    > > Installing them all again is a bitch.
    > >

    > One good idea is when you have it all installed and set, make an image
    > of the drive. It saves a lot of time if you need to do it again.

    I make an image of the boot partition once a week, keeping about five weeks
    worth. I don't have the space to image the whole drive(s). I have my OS on
    one disk and my pagefile and programmes on another for speedier load-times
    and response. Five partitions in all. OS (10GB) and a data partion
    (remainder) on a 200GB and pagefile (3GB), programmes (15GB), then data
    (remainder) on a 250GB. The 200 runs off a PCI - SATA adapter as I don't
    have native SATA ports on this old nF2 mobo.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2006