Suse problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by grumpyoldhori, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. Morning Gentlemen, some advice on a couple of problems would be
    received with thanks.

    I bought my wife a new computer, I prefer suse 10 to 10.2,but when
    I went to load Suse 10 on it,it said nice 64 bit computer, but you
    are loading a 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer.
    Screen dropped into text mode, and as I worked through the menu,
    it ended up not being able to load cd.

    Besides downloading 64 bit suse 10, can I work around it by
    whipping the harddrive out, and loading 10 through my machine.
    Or could that cause problems?

    The other hassle is when I went to hook my machine up to her
    LCD monitor,got an out of range message.
    Googled and got a thousand different answers,what would be the
    simplest way of getting my suse 10 into the right range?
    A CMV 938A monitor.




    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 25, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. grumpyoldhori

    thingy Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > Morning Gentlemen, some advice on a couple of problems would be
    > received with thanks.
    >
    > I bought my wife a new computer, I prefer suse 10 to 10.2,but when
    > I went to load Suse 10 on it,it said nice 64 bit computer, but you
    > are loading a 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer.
    > Screen dropped into text mode, and as I worked through the menu,
    > it ended up not being able to load cd.
    >
    > Besides downloading 64 bit suse 10, can I work around it by
    > whipping the harddrive out, and loading 10 through my machine.
    > Or could that cause problems?
    >
    > The other hassle is when I went to hook my machine up to her
    > LCD monitor,got an out of range message.
    > Googled and got a thousand different answers,what would be the
    > simplest way of getting my suse 10 into the right range?
    > A CMV 938A monitor.
    >
    >
    >
    >


    32bit should install, we run rhat AS3~4~5 all in 32bit mode...odd Suse
    does not...

    Unless.....if you have a AMD CPU? it might need the 64 bit version...I
    dont see you having a Itanium CPU....which is true 64 bit.

    I have swapped hds and even raid controllers with their disks to other
    machines so I could install in the past. This always worked but it was
    like 4~5 years ago....since Suse is bitching so badly I'd expect it
    might fail on boot as the kernel maybe different enough to cause a
    panic, but worth a shot.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 25, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. grumpyoldhori

    Allistar Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Morning Gentlemen, some advice on a couple of problems would be
    > received with thanks.
    >
    > I bought my wife a new computer, I prefer suse 10 to 10.2,but when
    > I went to load Suse 10 on it,it said nice 64 bit computer, but you
    > are loading a 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer.


    This in itself shouldn't be an issue. You can run 32bit Suse on a 64bit
    computer without any troubles.

    > Screen dropped into text mode, and as I worked through the menu,
    > it ended up not being able to load cd.


    This won't be related to the PC being 64bit. Is the CD stuffed? Try making
    another one and see if you have any luck with that.

    > Besides downloading 64 bit suse 10, can I work around it by
    > whipping the harddrive out, and loading 10 through my machine.
    > Or could that cause problems?


    There should be no problem loading 32bit Suse on a 64bit PC.

    > The other hassle is when I went to hook my machine up to her
    > LCD monitor,got an out of range message.


    I'm not familiar with Suse, but there should be a control panel somewhere
    for changing the resolution and frequency of the display. Change this to a
    suitably low "safe" setting and see if the other display works. Then you
    can crank the display setting up to an acceptable setting.

    > Googled and got a thousand different answers,what would be the
    > simplest way of getting my suse 10 into the right range?
    > A CMV 938A monitor.

    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 25, 2007
    #3
  4. grumpyoldhori

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:48:25 +1200
    grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    > Morning Gentlemen, some advice on a couple of problems would be
    > received with thanks.
    >
    > I bought my wife a new computer, I prefer suse 10 to 10.2,but when
    > I went to load Suse 10 on it,it said nice 64 bit computer, but you
    > are loading a 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer.
    > Screen dropped into text mode, and as I worked through the menu,
    > it ended up not being able to load cd.
    >
    > Besides downloading 64 bit suse 10, can I work around it by
    > whipping the harddrive out, and loading 10 through my machine.
    > Or could that cause problems?
    >
    > The other hassle is when I went to hook my machine up to her
    > LCD monitor,got an out of range message.
    > Googled and got a thousand different answers,what would be the
    > simplest way of getting my suse 10 into the right range?
    > A CMV 938A monitor.
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Hi
    I would use the 32bit, less trouble for installing pacman rpm's etc
    At the boot screen try this in the 'boot' options vga=0x0317
    Else I think there is a help there for other vga settings and also an
    option to set the screen resolutions.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    up 3 days 20:21, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.08, 0.17
    Malcolm, Sep 26, 2007
    #4
  5. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>
    >> I bought my wife a new computer, I prefer suse 10 to 10.2,but when
    >> I went to load Suse 10 on it,it said nice 64 bit computer, but you
    >> are loading a 32 bit system on a 64 bit computer.

    >
    > This in itself shouldn't be an issue. You can run 32bit Suse on a 64bit
    > computer without any troubles.


    Agreed. I have done this once or twice, though I don't any more--nowadays I
    prefer to put on a 64-bit system.

    By the way, 10.0 will be EOL'd soon. I got this message on the
    opensuse-security-announce list saying no more vulnerability fixes will be
    provided after 15th November.

    > I'm not familiar with Suse, but there should be a control panel somewhere
    > for changing the resolution and frequency of the display.


    Look for a tool called "sax2". You can also shut down the GUI completely and
    run it from a text console.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2007
    #5
  6. thingy wrote:

    > I have swapped hds and even raid controllers with their disks to other
    > machines so I could install in the past. This always worked but it was
    > like 4~5 years ago....since Suse is bitching so badly I'd expect it
    > might fail on boot as the kernel maybe different enough to cause a
    > panic, but worth a shot.
    >

    Thank you Gentlemen, I will have a crack at swapping HDs.
    Downloaded cd 1 of suse 10 again, nope no difference.
    Bugger, should have turned down the better? motherboard
    for the same price.
    It is a Intel Celeron 3.33 GHZ, on a Asutek P5VDC-MX Motherboard.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 26, 2007
    #6
  7. Malcolm wrote:

    > Hi
    > I would use the 32bit, less trouble for installing pacman rpm's etc
    > At the boot screen try this in the 'boot' options vga=0x0317
    > Else I think there is a help there for other vga settings and also an
    > option to set the screen resolutions.
    >


    Thanks for that Malcolm, are you running Suse Enterprise 10
    for a all round home computer?

    I find 10.1.10.2 a bit flaky in comparison to suse 10 and was
    wondering if all the media goodies can be loaded on to the
    enterprise version.
    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 26, 2007
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > By the way, 10.0 will be EOL'd soon. I got this message on the
    > opensuse-security-announce list saying no more vulnerability fixes will be
    > provided after 15th November.
    >

    Thanks for that about sax2.
    I hope 10.3 is as solid as 10 has been.
    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 26, 2007
    #8
  9. In message <fdd1j7$c89$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > I hope 10.3 is as solid as 10 has been.


    Any reason you're particularly attached to SuSE? Ubuntu seems to be the hawt
    new kid on the block. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2007
    #9
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Any reason you're particularly attached to SuSE? Ubuntu seems to be the
    > hawt new kid on the block. :)


    Habit, and I am getting used to it.
    I was just reading this site here
    http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/46/

    From what I hear Suse Enterprise is good, and I would not have to
    battle to get wireless networking going.

    Any reason for not using using Enterprise, from all accounts I can use
    10.1 RPMs.?
    Would you know if 10.1 Smart package manager would work on Enterprise?
    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 26, 2007
    #10
  11. In message <fdd2q8$gr3$>, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Any reason for not using using Enterprise, from all accounts I can use
    > 10.1 RPMs.?
    > Would you know if 10.1 Smart package manager would work on Enterprise?


    No idea, I've never used enterprise, but I wouldn't expect it to be
    different enough to matter.

    I've got machines for various clients running SuSE versions from 9.3 to
    10.2. A new hire at one client is a Debian fan, and he's set up a bunch of
    new servers running that, plus he used a disk failure on one desktop
    Shuttle machine as an excuse to switch it to Ubuntu. I don't mind, so long
    as the stuff I've written still runs. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2007
    #11
  12. On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:48:25 +1200, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > The other hassle is when I went to hook my machine up to her
    > LCD monitor,got an out of range message.
    > Googled and got a thousand different answers,what would be the
    > simplest way of getting my suse 10 into the right range?


    You need to tell SuSE what type of monitor it is using.

    Also, I suggest that you should use no greater than the native resolution
    of that particular LCD monitor.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
    Jonathan Walker, Sep 26, 2007
    #12
  13. On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:47:20 +1200, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Any reason for not using using Enterprise, from all accounts I can use
    > 10.1 RPMs.?
    > Would you know if 10.1 Smart package manager would work on Enterprise?


    I use SuSE 10.2, after having used 10.0, and, briefly, 10.1.

    Do not use SuSE 10.1 - it is a broken dog. !0.0 and 10.2 are OK.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
    Jonathan Walker, Sep 26, 2007
    #13
  14. grumpyoldhori

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:51 +1200
    grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > I would use the 32bit, less trouble for installing pacman rpm's etc
    > > At the boot screen try this in the 'boot' options vga=0x0317
    > > Else I think there is a help there for other vga settings and also
    > > an option to set the screen resolutions.
    > >

    >
    > Thanks for that Malcolm, are you running Suse Enterprise 10
    > for a all round home computer?
    >
    > I find 10.1.10.2 a bit flaky in comparison to suse 10 and was
    > wondering if all the media goodies can be loaded on to the
    > enterprise version.

    Hi
    Yes, it's a home system. It's great :) I have a three year
    subscription. Wasn't happy with 10.1, although zen can be a bit funny
    at times (just needs a kick once and a while). SP1 installs firefox
    32bit, so works a lot better for the mplayer, flash plugins.

    No problems using 10.1 rpms. But if you download the SDK DVD most of
    the missing stuff (apache, mysql, php etc) is on there and it is kept
    updated. Then for the media stuff you can use this CD (only 32bit rpms)
    http://www.pcc-services.com/sled10_rpms.html

    I use the build service for keeping firefox up to date. I also use the
    Nvidia proprietary driver, so when there is a kernel update, there is
    some reconfiguration required to get Xgl/Compiz up and running again
    (less than 5 minutes).

    So far the only thing I have compiled from source is nagios plugins and
    claws-mail and only because of an issue with Bellsouth's news server,
    had to tweak the compose.c file.

    I run xp (once in a blue moon), kubuntu, solaris, sled10 on a Toshiba
    notebook. Again this one spends 95% of the time on SLED but need to
    patch the kernel for the bluetooth to work.

    Web server (Ultra 10) runs ubuntu (sparc) it's just a pity
    Novell/openSUSE dropped the sparc version... but I've got my head
    around the debian ways ;-)

    If I was installing from scratch today, I would probably go to an Ubuntu
    distro.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    up 4 days 8:27, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
    Malcolm, Sep 26, 2007
    #14
  15. grumpyoldhori

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:02:59 -0500
    Malcolm <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:51 +1200
    > grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    >
    > > Malcolm wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > I would use the 32bit, less trouble for installing pacman rpm's
    > > > etc At the boot screen try this in the 'boot' options vga=0x0317
    > > > Else I think there is a help there for other vga settings and also
    > > > an option to set the screen resolutions.
    > > >

    > >
    > > Thanks for that Malcolm, are you running Suse Enterprise 10
    > > for a all round home computer?
    > >
    > > I find 10.1.10.2 a bit flaky in comparison to suse 10 and was
    > > wondering if all the media goodies can be loaded on to the
    > > enterprise version.

    > Hi
    > Yes, it's a home system. It's great :) I have a three year
    > subscription. Wasn't happy with 10.1, although zen can be a bit funny
    > at times (just needs a kick once and a while). SP1 installs firefox
    > 32bit, so works a lot better for the mplayer, flash plugins.
    >
    > No problems using 10.1 rpms. But if you download the SDK DVD most of
    > the missing stuff (apache, mysql, php etc) is on there and it is kept
    > updated. Then for the media stuff you can use this CD (only 32bit
    > rpms) http://www.pcc-services.com/sled10_rpms.html
    >
    > I use the build service for keeping firefox up to date. I also use the
    > Nvidia proprietary driver, so when there is a kernel update, there is
    > some reconfiguration required to get Xgl/Compiz up and running again
    > (less than 5 minutes).
    >
    > So far the only thing I have compiled from source is nagios plugins
    > and claws-mail and only because of an issue with Bellsouth's news
    > server, had to tweak the compose.c file.
    >
    > I run xp (once in a blue moon), kubuntu, solaris, sled10 on a Toshiba
    > notebook. Again this one spends 95% of the time on SLED but need to
    > patch the kernel for the bluetooth to work.
    >
    > Web server (Ultra 10) runs ubuntu (sparc) it's just a pity
    > Novell/openSUSE dropped the sparc version... but I've got my head
    > around the debian ways ;-)
    >
    > If I was installing from scratch today, I would probably go to an
    > Ubuntu distro.
    >

    Here are a couple of screen shots...
    http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop1.jpg
    http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop2.jpg

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    up 4 days 11:34, 2 users, load average: 0.36, 0.17, 0.11
    Malcolm, Sep 26, 2007
    #15
  16. grumpyoldhori

    Allistar Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:02:59 -0500
    > Malcolm <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:51 +1200
    >> grumpyoldhori <> wrote:


    > Here are a couple of screen shots...
    > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop1.jpg
    > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop2.jpg


    Compiz/Beryl is amazing, but the only reason I don't run it is it doesn't
    properly support multiple monitors (I have a triple head setup). As much as
    I'd like to run Beryl all of the time, the benefit triple head gives is
    more.

    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 26, 2007
    #16
  17. grumpyoldhori

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:38:50 +1200
    Allistar <> wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:02:59 -0500
    > > Malcolm <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:51 +1200
    > >> grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    >
    > > Here are a couple of screen shots...
    > > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop1.jpg
    > > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop2.jpg

    >
    > Compiz/Beryl is amazing, but the only reason I don't run it is it
    > doesn't properly support multiple monitors (I have a triple head
    > setup). As much as I'd like to run Beryl all of the time, the benefit
    > triple head gives is more.
    >


    It sure is, love the water effect ;-)
    http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop3.jpg

    That's a pity, you need to get one (or two) bigger monitors?

    I have two 19" which is more than enough for me..

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.8-smp
    up 1:01, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.07
    Malcolm, Sep 26, 2007
    #17
  18. Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > You need to tell SuSE what type of monitor it is using.
    >
    > Also, I suggest that you should use no greater than the native resolution
    > of that particular LCD monitor.
    >

    Thanks Johnathon, had a look at my drop down list in Suse 10,
    the Chimei CMV 938A was not listed.

    But looks like I will be safe with a standard LCD setting
    of 1024/768 at 75 hz.
    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 27, 2007
    #18
  19. grumpyoldhori

    Allistar Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:38:50 +1200
    > Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >> Malcolm wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:02:59 -0500
    >> > Malcolm <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:51 +1200
    >> >> grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    >>
    >> > Here are a couple of screen shots...
    >> > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop1.jpg
    >> > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop2.jpg

    >>
    >> Compiz/Beryl is amazing, but the only reason I don't run it is it
    >> doesn't properly support multiple monitors (I have a triple head
    >> setup). As much as I'd like to run Beryl all of the time, the benefit
    >> triple head gives is more.
    >>

    >
    > It sure is, love the water effect ;-)
    > http://www.muppetwifi.homeunix.net/desktop3.jpg
    >
    > That's a pity, you need to get one (or two) bigger monitors?
    >
    > I have two 19" which is more than enough for me..


    I have two 17" and a 20" wide screen, which is what I find allows me to be
    most productive. Anything less is limiting.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 27, 2007
    #19
  20. Malcolm wrote:

    > No problems using 10.1 rpms. But if you download the SDK DVD most of
    > the missing stuff (apache, mysql, php etc) is on there and it is kept
    > updated. Then for the media stuff you can use this CD (only 32bit rpms)
    > http://www.pcc-services.com/sled10_rpms.html
    >


    Thanks for that Malcolm, I was going to grab the 32 bit cds
    but I will get the DVD instead.
    Do you use Smart package manager, any wireless problems?
    Just to check,this DVD SLED-10-SP1-x86_64-DVD1.iso
    on this page?

    http://download.novell.com/protected/Summary.jsp?buildid=ecpCimnsrFE~


    --
    grumpy


    You have doubts, who said age brings no benefits.
    grumpyoldhori, Sep 27, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Herne
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    626
  2. berksposter

    Suse Linux 9.1 Boot problem.

    berksposter, Jun 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    503
    Blinky the Shark
    Jul 1, 2004
  3. Tom Eggleston

    DNS /Suse

    Tom Eggleston, Sep 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    4,149
    sqool
    Sep 9, 2004
  4. Use.Netuser.de

    Remove SuSE and add 98SE

    Use.Netuser.de, Dec 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    604
    127.0.0.1
    Dec 9, 2004
  5. Mr Gavin Small

    Suse Linux User in need of help.

    Mr Gavin Small, Dec 16, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    384
    philo
    Dec 17, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page