suse linux pro 9.1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Maurice Byrne, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. have set it up as a dual boot with xp but forgot username and password. how
    do i delete / uninstall and re-install linux without affecting win xp.

    Maurice Byrne, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Maurice Byrne

    philo Guest

    Maurice Byrne wrote:

    > have set it up as a dual boot with xp but forgot username and password.
    > how do i delete / uninstall and re-install linux without affecting win xp.

    the same way you installed it in the first place...
    but when it's time to partition
    you merely need to format your linux partition(s)

    philo, Jun 1, 2005

  3. i just put the cd in the drive

    i have the following partitions
    C 14.6 G
    D 14.6 G
    E 14.6 G
    F WAS 14.6 NOW SHOWING 3.25
    G WAS 14.6 NOW 9.7
    H 10.1
    I 845 MEG

    system restore showed F was unable to be restored should i format that drive

    Maurice Byrne, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Maurice Byrne

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:27:51 +0100, Maurice Byrne wrote:

    >have set it up as a dual boot with xp but forgot username and password. how
    >do i delete / uninstall and re-install linux without affecting win xp.

    Assuming you mean the SuSE password for (root) or another user, start
    Linux in single user mode for access to the passwd file and go from
    there.

    See previous posts in 24HSHD or search www.google.com there are lots of
    good sites with notes on how to do this.

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2005
  5. it gives me no options at all on startup only load xp or linux .
    suse linux professional 9.1

    how do i start in single user mode there are no options have re formatted f
    and no change . have hit all the f keys is there another shortcut at start
    up ?

    Maurice Byrne, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Maurice Byrne

    philo Guest

    Maurice Byrne wrote:

    > i just put the cd in the drive
    >
    > i have the following partitions
    > C 14.6 G
    > D 14.6 G
    > E 14.6 G
    > F WAS 14.6 NOW SHOWING 3.25
    > G WAS 14.6 NOW 9.7
    > H 10.1
    > I 845 MEG
    >
    > system restore showed F was unable to be restored should i format that
    > drive

    those are your windows partitions.
    windows will not assign a drive letter to your linux partitions
    (but you can see them in disk management)
    so you should leave all those alone.
    evidently, when you installed linux...
    you must have shrunk down some of your windows partitions.

    when you go to reinstall linux...
    but sure *not* to touch your windows partitions
    anything fat32 or NTFS be sure to leave alone!!!!

    philo, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Maurice Byrne, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Maurice Byrne

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:14:52 +0100, Maurice Byrne wrote:

    I thought you said you have SuSE Linux Pro 9.1 and not RedHat 7.3?

    However the process is very similar for RH , Solaris, DEC UNIX, get into
    single user mode.

    >the booting for single user mode in red hat requires password on line 1.

    So which boot loader are you using for SuSE, reading the RH notes the
    password if for the boot loader , not the user / root password for
    Linux. If you didn't configure (using RH a grub password you shouldn't
    need 1)

    So which password is causing you problems?

    >I do not have a password. when i typed in linux emergency as per
    >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-resc
    >uemode-booting-single.htm it went into xp.

    Most likely SuSE didn't understand what you typed and just carried on to
    default boot OS.

    <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.htm>
    Page Not Found (404)
    We're sorry! The page you are looking for has been moved or no longer
    exists.

    Argh, Please verify URL work! Spot the .htm / .html filename.
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...ustom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

    For your first point, allowing these are RH notes and not SuSE, The
    important word is 'If'

    1. If you have a GRUB password configured, type p and enter the
    password.

    Try
    http://www.google.com/search?q=suse linux pro 9.1 boot single user mode

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Maurice Byrne

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:42:32 +0100, Maurice Byrne wrote:

    >it gives me no options at all on startup only load xp or linux .
    >suse linux professional 9.1

    It may well depend on the boot loader you are using is it Grub or LILO?

    >how do i start in single user mode there are no options have re formatted f

    You have already re formatted f , Linux doesn't use drive letters like
    Windows, you didn't format over anything important?

    >and no change . have hit all the f keys is there another shortcut at start
    >up ?

    So you are getting the boot loader menu?

    In that case you either reinstall Linux or repair the MBR (Master Boot
    Record) , if you replace the Linux MBR with an original Windows version
    then Windows boots by default with no Linux boot loader menu.

    If you Google about there are several ways of doing this, one method
    mentioned is using

    I guess it's the FIXMBR / FIXBOOT commands you need, never used them
    myself so I suggest you do some reading
    and
    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux 314058
    not forgetting www.google.com

    Don't forget the usual advice about backup, backup and backup along with
    testing the backups to recover files before doing stuff like this.

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Maurice Byrne, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Maurice Byrne

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:46:51 +0100, Maurice Byrne wrote:

    >i have suse linux 9.1 and have tried
    >http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t13544.html
    >but to no avail shall i re format ?????
    >
    >have typed linux single . do not get a LILO COMMAND PROMPT ?

    There are 2 types of boot loader LILO and GRUB, both mentioned which are
    you running?

    LILO prompt is usually

    LILO:

    while Grub is a GUI screen boot manager.

    >am totally lost any help at all. all i want to do is delete it and set it up
    >again

    There are still 2 issues here, which boot manager and is it the root or
    a user password you have forgotten?

    If you want to set it up again, go with the earlier advice , simply
    reinstall. During setup when asked about disk partitions view the
    current setup and the / /boot /tmp partitions should all be showing
    simply reinstall to the same place.

    >why is there not a re format command ?

    There is, and it's usually on Linux boot floppies / rescue boot CD /
    live distro CD. Linux usually comes with several partition tools and
    many Windows boot / partition managers work also.

    You may well find you can boot off a SuSE live distro CD, you can mount
    the partitions off the hard disk , access your passwd file and reset the
    passwords.

    If you read the article, it also mentions using the live CD and the
    simpler method of using the passwd command to reset the password.

    Me

    why?, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Maurice Byrne

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I want to do TCP/IP printing with Suse 9.1 pro to a print server connected
    to my WatchGuard FW appliance. Configuring the XP pro machines to use a
    printer connected to the print server was a piece of cake.

    I cannot say the same in doing it with Suse. So do you know of any
    documentation I can reference to do this?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2005
  13. have tried to re install and it goes through setup until it has to re boot .
    on re boot it enters setup again and again.

    i have not written down any passwords as i thought it was like windows you
    can just hit escape to bypass.

    i am now considering reformat computer all together is that the best thing ?

    have no start up linux disk setup never asked for one .

    Maurice Byrne, Jun 3, 2005
  14. Maurice Byrne

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:02:51 +0100, "Maurice Byrne" <> wrote:

    >have tried to re install and it goes through setup until it has to re boot .
    >on re boot it enters setup again and again.

    Are you leaving the disk in the drive on reboot? If so, remove it.

    >i have not written down any passwords as i thought it was like windows you
    >can just hit escape to bypass.
    >
    >i am now considering reformat computer all together is that the best thing ?
    >
    >have no start up linux disk setup never asked for one .

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jun 3, 2005
  15. Maurice Byrne

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:02:51 +0100, Maurice Byrne wrote:

    >have tried to re install and it goes through setup until it has to re boot .
    >on re boot it enters setup again and again.

    Remove the install disk before booting.

    >i have not written down any passwords as i thought it was like windows you
    >can just hit escape to bypass.

    That will be the bit in any Linux/ Unix setup I have ever done where the
    install asks for a root password and tells you to remember it.

    Unlike Windows (non NT / 2000 / XP which always ask) which never asked
    for a password during setup?

    >i am now considering reformat computer all together is that the best thing ?

    That's your decision.

    >have no start up linux disk setup never asked for one .

    It dosen't ask you for one, several distros ask if you want ot create
    one during setup.

    Me

    why?, Jun 3, 2005
  16. Maurice Byrne