    os and Mike M. told me that Linux can do all that, but I don't know which
    one of the top 2 is right for me.

    Thank you.

    Raymond, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    That's strange, cause SuSE makes several server products

    Is this Suse server products called Suse Linux profressional? Because I saw
    two versions of Suse at the store. One is Suse version 9.1 personal, and
    the other is Suse Version 9.1 profressional. The Suse Professional is 89
    bucks. However, there is another version of linux called red hat that says
    it can operate as a server product on the label. Red hat runs at 99 bucks
    at the store i looked at.

    How much are you willing to pay? RHEL is like $800. There are free
    clones of Redhat such as Whitebox linux and CentOS.

    I can't afford that much. I was looking for a linux server software around
    100 bucks.

    Raymond, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Raymond

    AG Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > Which are the differences between Suse Linux professsional and red hat
    > linux? I read on the software discriptions at the store on both boxes.

    Red
    > hat said it can operate as a server operating system as well. However, I
    > could not find that Suse linux can operate as a server os. I just want a
    > linux box that can run as resourse base, server base, and organization

    base
    > os and Mike M. told me that Linux can do all that, but I don't know which
    > one of the top 2 is right for me.
    >
    > Thank you.

    If you just want to try out Linux there are several versions that you can
    download for free or, if you're on dialup and it'd take 9 years to download
    3 ISOs you can buy the CD for a few bucks.
    I've downloaded Fedora1 and put it on a laptop and it worked fine till the
    motherboard on that laptop fried itself, which had nothing to do with
    Fedora.
    These guys sell CDs of downloadable stuff and do a check to make sure that
    it's a good burn and such.
    http://cheapiso.com/index.php?cPath=1

    AG

    AG, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Raymond

    izzy Guest

    Usually the personal version and professional version are for
    workstations much the same as xp home and xp pro

    the server versions are usually labelled as a sever version or enterprise
    version and are designed to server class machines ie multiple processors
    Raid cards remote management cards and fibre host bus adapters and
    gigabet ethernet.

    You can download Iso's form Novell.com

    http://www.novell.com/linux/download_linux.html and browse around from
    here