    Would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from the Linux gurus
    here out of this Suse 9.2, last month's Fedora 3 and free version of
    Xandros 3, if anyone has tried it.

    GraB, Feb 21, 2005

  2. GraB

    bok Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > Would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from the Linux gurus
    > here out of this Suse 9.2, last month's Fedora 3 and free version of
    > Xandros 3, if anyone has tried it.

    I have SuSE 9.2 pro installed on a headless server at home, a server at a
    local school and a multi boot desktop box. The servers run services such as
    samba, mail (postfix/IMAP), apache, ssh, DNS, DHCP - the usual server stuff
    (run level 3 only). I'm quite happy with it. What areas would you like
    feedback on primarily?

    The only recent distros I've used that I can compare it to are Gentoo and
    Debian variants such Ubuntu, Knoppix 3.7 (and Debian stable 3r3).

    pros/cons
    + relatively good stability for a frequently updated desktop release
    - RPM based package management (not as good as Debian dpkg or Gentoo Portage
    IMO).
    +/- YaST --- hmmm, undecided on that. Looks handy for the CLI / config
    challenged amongst us, but I've had to migrate legacy server configs so it
    was easier to just to edit configs by hand using YaST were applicable.

    I'm planning on trying out Fedoro Core 3 shortly with a view to upgrading
    our home Firewall/VPN box to that. Could use SuSE 9.2 again, but that would
    be getting monotonous ;(

    --
    bok

    bok, Feb 21, 2005

  3. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:13:06 +1300, bok wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from the Linux gurus
    >> here out of this Suse 9.2, last month's Fedora 3 and free version of
    >> Xandros 3, if anyone has tried it.

    > I have SuSE 9.2 pro installed on a headless server at home, a server at a
    > local school and a multi boot desktop box. The servers run services such as
    > samba, mail (postfix/IMAP), apache, ssh, DNS, DHCP - the usual server stuff
    > (run level 3 only). I'm quite happy with it. What areas would you like
    > feedback on primarily?
    >
    > The only recent distros I've used that I can compare it to are Gentoo and
    > Debian variants such Ubuntu, Knoppix 3.7 (and Debian stable 3r3).
    >
    > pros/cons
    > + relatively good stability for a frequently updated desktop release
    > - RPM based package management (not as good as Debian dpkg or Gentoo Portage
    > IMO).
    > +/- YaST --- hmmm, undecided on that. Looks handy for the CLI / config
    > challenged amongst us, but I've had to migrate legacy server configs so it
    > was easier to just to edit configs by hand using YaST were applicable.
    >
    > I'm planning on trying out Fedoro Core 3 shortly with a view to upgrading
    > our home Firewall/VPN box to that. Could use SuSE 9.2 again, but that would
    > be getting monotonous ;(

    install Openbsd on your fw :p
    only need a drive witha gig space for a base install (actually you can do
    it on a 500 MB HDD but you need the extra space for patching )
    ( actually actually you can do it on an even smaller amount of space ~150
    MB IIRC if you want to hack the distro)

    as to the OP.. I have no idea (mainly cos Im not a guru )
    but IMHO the bestest ever way to figure it out is to try it
    for your self on a spare machine and see first hand what you like/dislike

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 21, 2005
  4. GraB

    bok Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:13:06 +1300, bok wrote:
    >> I'm planning on trying out Fedoro Core 3 shortly with a view to upgrading
    >> our home Firewall/VPN box to that. Could use SuSE 9.2 again, but that
    >> would be getting monotonous ;(

    > install Openbsd on your fw :p
    > only need a drive witha gig space for a base install (actually you can do
    > it on a 500 MB HDD but you need the extra space for patching )
    > ( actually actually you can do it on an even smaller amount of space ~150
    > MB IIRC if you want to hack the distro)

    Yes, well OpenBSD could be an option, is that what you're using?

    Disk capacity won't be an issue though, the target machine's got a 5GB
    drive. I did trial IPCop for the purpose, but it didn't support our
    corporate VPN setup "out of box". I got it to work in the end but the
    amount of hacking required defeated the purpose (of IPCop) to a large
    extent.

    > as to the OP.. I have no idea (mainly cos Im not a guru )

    I should have mentioned, I'm not a guru either - just a SuSE 9.2 user (a
    relative newbie even) :)

    I still spend most of my time in MS windows as our primary software
    development target (we do build for *nix platforms of course :))

    > but IMHO the bestest ever way to figure it out is to try it
    > for your self on a spare machine and see first hand what you like/dislike

    Yep, each person's requirements are unique. The choice of distro ought to be
    influenced by your background and what you're going to use it for to a
    large extent. Any of the frequently updates distros leapfrog the others in
    various ways each release. It's mainly fundamental stuff that remains
    relatively stable *within* but different *between* major distro types such
    as package/configuration and service management.

    --
    bok

    bok, Feb 21, 2005

  5. >
    > Yes, well OpenBSD could be an option, is that what you're using?
    >
    > Disk capacity won't be an issue though, the target machine's got a 5GB
    > drive. I did trial IPCop for the purpose, but it didn't support our
    > corporate VPN setup "out of box". I got it to work in the end but the
    > amount of hacking required defeated the purpose (of IPCop) to a large
    > extent.

    > I still spend most of my time in MS windows as our primary software
    > development target (we do build for *nix platforms of course :))

    I use OpenBSD on a couple machines.. one does act as fw/gateway although I
    must emphasis I know absolutely nothing about vpn requirements and vaguely
    recall seeing someone discuss problems with it on one of openbsd.misc news
    groups ( i forget which it was 3 or 4 days ago and I borked the install of
    slackware 10.1 without backing things up)
    <whistles innocently and stares at the ceiling>
    installing OpenBSD is a breeze .. what I did was download all the install
    files to an internal ftp server then installed from there booting the
    target machine from floppy (its on the 'how to install' page and they do a
    better job than I) just watch your target paths and bobs your auntys best
    friend on a friday night
    the next job after that is patching there are 10 patches for 3.6 ..
    patching takes a bit of work but pretty straight forward once you know
    what you're doing
    HTH

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 21, 2005
  6. GraB

    bok Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >> Yes, well OpenBSD could be an option, is that what you're using?
    >>

    > I use OpenBSD on a couple machines.. one does act as fw/gateway although I
    > must emphasis I know absolutely nothing about vpn requirements and vaguely
    > recall seeing someone discuss problems with it on one of openbsd.misc news
    > groups

    I'd have to research the VPN side of things further - I have no idea what
    the OpenBSD supports in that area. My end and the corporate side are both
    using FreeS/WAN IPsec with custom 2.4 linux kernels compiled with KLIPS
    code. A potential advantage for moving to a 2.6 linux kernel is the native
    IPsec support, which the final release of FreeS/WAN had been ported to use.

    --
    bok

    bok, Feb 21, 2005
  7. GraB

    Drudge Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:49:05 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from the Linux gurus
    > here out of this Suse 9.2, last month's Fedora 3 and free version of
    > Xandros 3, if anyone has tried it.

    Fedora 3 ran like a absolute pig on my 3.2 gigz Athlon and its not like my
    system is short of ram.

    Drudge out ...

    Drudge, Feb 21, 2005
  8. GraB

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:24:18 +1300, bok wrote:

    > I'd have to research the VPN side of things further - I have no idea what
    > the OpenBSD supports in that area. My end and the corporate side are both
    > using FreeS/WAN IPsec with custom 2.4 linux kernels compiled with KLIPS
    > code. A potential advantage for moving to a 2.6 linux kernel is the native
    > IPsec support, which the final release of FreeS/WAN had been ported to
    > use.

    OpenBSD has better IPSEC than FreeS/WAN which could best be described as a
    bit of a hack.

    Not sure how it compares to the 2.6 native stuff though, but knowing
    OpenBSD it's still better ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton