Suse 9.1 64 bit - first impressions...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Preece, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    I just finished installing the above from one of Philip Charles'
    "unofficial" SuSE 9.1 for x86_64 disks
    (http://www.copyleft.co.nz/suse.html) and, I have to say, it was *very*
    impressive. I ran it on a:

    Athlon64 3000 (2GHz real clockrate)
    1GB DDR400
    VIA K8T800 based motherboard (AOpen something)
    Realtek GigE on the motherboard
    Geforce3 Ti200
    160GB SATA hard drive - motherboard sees it as being a RAID disk
    Some generic DVD reader.

    And the installer found *everything* first time. It didn't autodetect my
    monitor, but had heaps to choose from so I didn't have to go through the
    old "XFree86 needs some numbers, if you get them wrong your monitor will
    blow up" bullshit. And it just got it right.

    It boots slowly, but once up it's very responsive. Before this I'd used
    RedHat 7.3 for a year or so on an Athlon XP and it was a bit sluggish.
    But this went like a rocket and looked good too.

    The same machine has XP on it (installing XP was a shitfight too, not
    that I actually think it's MS's fault) and SuSE installed along side it
    with no problems. It actually suggested some surreal partitioning scheme
    involving resizing the NTFS partition to be half the disk instead of the
    80% odd I had allocated it, but had a really clear GUI onto changing the
    disk allocation scheme to the one I wanted so it didn't matter.

    It's cool. Philip really deserves his $35 and Novell must be *really*
    happy about buying SuSE.

    Dave
    David Preece, Sep 9, 2004

  2. In article <EZW%c.2897$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    > Athlon64 3000 (2GHz real clockrate)
    > 1GB DDR400
    > VIA K8T800 based motherboard (AOpen something)

    I have a friend who tried installing it on a Shuttle with the nForce3
    chipset, and he had no luck at all.

    >... Novell must be *really* happy about buying SuSE.

    I have clients making heavy use of it. One nice thing is there's a
    security mailing list you can get onto, and be notified of ongoing
    patches for versions all the way back to 8.1.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2004

  3. By the way, if you've looked at your /boot/menu.lst and wondered what
    the "desktop" boot parameter does, here's an explanation:
    <http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/10/pohletz_desktop_90.html>.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 11, 2004
  4. David Preece

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:16:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <EZW%c.2897$>,
    > David Preece <> wrote:
    >
    >> Athlon64 3000 (2GHz real clockrate)
    >> 1GB DDR400
    >> VIA K8T800 based motherboard (AOpen something)

    > I have a friend who tried installing it on a Shuttle with the nForce3
    > chipset, and he had no luck at all.

    As great as the nForce chipsets are for Windows users, they can be a PITA
    for Linux users.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 12, 2004