    Perhaps I'll do a clean install once I've replaced a few HDDs that have
    recently failed.

    Perhaps next payday...

    Sweetpea, Jul 29, 2010

  2. Sweetpea

    BigglesZZzzz Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:56:45 +0000, Sweetpea wrote:

    > ... so I'm forced to point the updater at the 11.1 repo instead.
    >
    > Perhaps I'll do a clean install once I've replaced a few HDDs that have
    > recently failed.
    >
    > Perhaps next payday...

    It might come as a surprise but the world has moved on from 11.1
    Strange how you advocate Linux yet you stick on that old outdated crap.
    Still you missed out on the pulse audio kde4 btrfs alpha crap they have
    dished out the last few years.

    BigglesZZZ

    BigglesZZzzz, Aug 15, 2010

  3. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:32:14 +0000, BigglesZZzzz wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:56:45 +0000, Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> ... so I'm forced to point the updater at the 11.1 repo instead.
    >>
    >> Perhaps I'll do a clean install once I've replaced a few HDDs that have
    >> recently failed.
    >>
    >> Perhaps next payday...

    > It might come as a surprise but the world has moved on from 11.1 Strange
    > how you advocate Linux yet you stick on that old outdated crap.

    The reason why I was "stick[ing] to outdated crap" (as you so
    ridiculously state) is because in fact it isn't "outdated crap" - it may
    be old and at the official end of life, but it works perfectly fine for
    what I want it to do.

    I pointed the box at the 11.1 repository as it was the closest one to the
    version that was installed.

    As I said, that box is due for a clean install, which will be the latest
    current version of SuSE and all software that I'm currently using, and
    which I'll do once I've purchased new HDDs to put in it.

    Why should I do a clean install if I were merely upgrading from one
    version to the very next release and everything about the installation
    was working without fault?

    Sweetpea, Aug 17, 2010
  4. Sweetpea

    BigglesZZzzz Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:45:48 +0000, Sweetpea wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:32:14 +0000, BigglesZZzzz wrote:

    >> It might come as a surprise but the world has moved on from 11.1
    >> Strange how you advocate Linux yet you stick on that old outdated crap.

    > The reason why I was "stick[ing] to outdated crap" (as you so
    > ridiculously state) is because in fact it isn't "outdated crap" - it may
    > be old and at the official end of life, but it works perfectly fine for
    > what I want it to do.

    If its not outdated / not supported crap why are you bothering upgrading.
    Because your locked into a forced upgrade!

    > I pointed the box at the 11.1 repository as it was the closest one to
    > the version that was installed.

    For the love of god tell me your not still using that kde4.0xx 4.1XXX
    alpha crap.

    > As I said, that box is due for a clean install, which will be the latest
    > current version of SuSE and all software that I'm currently using, and
    > which I'll do once I've purchased new HDDs to put in it.

    Don't forget to dual boot so you can run your legacy windows applications.
    Insert <sarcasm>.

    > Why should I do a clean install if I were merely upgrading from one
    > version to the very next release and everything about the installation
    > was working without fault?

    You sound confused as normal. If you think upgrading a working with out
    fault will some how guarantee a upgrade success your clearly
    delusional.If you think upgrading linux period works your clearly fecking
    delusional.

    And stop pissing about with some antiquated 11.1 version and use 11.3 &
    do the endless bug reporting on alpha /beta code you demand of others.
    Then at least you might actually have some clue.

    Biggles..

    BigglesZZzzz, Aug 26, 2010
  5. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:34:35 +0000, BigglesZZzzz wrote:

    >>> It might come as a surprise but the world has moved on from 11.1
    >>> Strange how you advocate Linux yet you stick on that old outdated
    >>> crap.

    >> The reason why I was "stick[ing] to outdated crap" (as you so
    >> ridiculously state) is because in fact it isn't "outdated crap" - it
    >> may be old and at the official end of life, but it works perfectly fine
    >> for what I want it to do.
    >>

    > If its not outdated / not supported crap why are you bothering
    > upgrading. Because your locked into a forced upgrade!

    Rubbish! I can chose whatever distribution I wish.

    11.1 is the closest version to the one that is currently installed, and
    therefore any updates to the current installation - which have to be via
    dialup - will not be as substantial as if to 11.2.

    I WANT to use OpenSuSE Linux because it is the distro that works like I
    want it to work. I am perfectly free to use any other distro, and I've
    tried various other ones over the years on other computers.

    I'm currently in the process of downloading the current release of
    OpenSuSE which was only released this month. I've had excellent reliable
    service out of my computer over the years, and it has seen various
    incarnations altho' mostly as SuSE Linux.

    Once I've downloaded the current release I'll be purchasing another 3
    HDDs and upgrading my computer. This time I may also do hardware RAID for
    improved data resiliency in the event of HDD failure.

    Sweetpea, Aug 26, 2010