SUSAN GRANGER'S 10 BEST OF 2004 list:

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ivana Humpalot, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. SUSAN GRANGER'S 10 BEST OF 2004 list: (in alphabetical order)

    BEST PICTURE:
    The Aviator
    Collateral
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Finding Neverland
    Hotel Rwanda
    Kinsey
    Million Dollar Baby
    The Motorcycle Diaries
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Ray

    BEST DIRECTOR:
    Bill Condon, Kinsey
    Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
    Marc Forster, Finding Neverland
    Taylor Hackford, Ray
    Jean Pierre Jeunet, A Very Long Engagement
    Michael Mann, Collateral
    Walter Salles, The Motorcycle Diaries
    Joel Schumacher, The Phantom of the Opera
    Martin Scorsese, The Aviator
    Zhang Yimou, Hero and House of Flying Daggers

    BEST ACTOR:
    Javier Bardem, The Sea Inside
    Jim Carrey , Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
    Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
    Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland
    Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
    Jamie Foxx, Ray
    Paul Giamatti, Sideways
    Kevin Kline, De-Lovely
    Liam Neeson, Kinsey
    Clive Owen , Closer

    BEST ACTRESS:
    Annette Bening, Being Julia
    Laura Dern, We Don't Live Here Anymore
    Scarlett Johansson, A Love Song for Bobby Long
    Helen Mirren, The Clearing
    Catalina Sandino Moreno, Maria Full of Grace
    Emily Rossum, The Phantom of the Opera
    Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
    Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
    Audrey Tatou, A Very Long Engagement
    Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

    SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Eric Bana, Troy
    Alec Baldwin, The Aviator
    Thomas Hayden Church, Sideways
    Jamie Foxx, Collateral
    Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby
    Jeremy Irons, The Merchant of Venice
    Alfred Molina, Spider-Man 2
    Peter Sarsgaard, Kinsey
    Peter O'Toole, Troy
    Stanley Tucci, The Terminal

    SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Cate Blanchett, The Aviator
    Minnie Driver, The Phantom of the Opera
    Irma P. Hall, The Ladykillers
    Laura Linney, Kinsey
    Virginia Madsen, Sideways
    Mandy Moore, Saved
    Natalie Portman, Closer
    Gena Rowlands, The Notebook
    Meryl Streep, The Manchurian Candidate
    Kate Winslet, Finding Neverland

    BEST SCREENPLAY:
    The Aviator
    Collateral
    Closer
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Finding Neverland
    Kinsey
    Million Dollar Baby
    Ray
    Sideways
    The Incredibles

    ANIMATED FEATURE:
    Ghost in the Shell 2
    Shrek 2
    Shark Tale
    The Incredibles
    The Polar Express
    The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
    Teacher's Pet

    DOCUMENTARY:
    Born into Brothels
    Broadway: The Golden Age
    Control Room
    Fahrenheit 9/11
    Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
    Riding Giants
    Super Size Me
    The Story of the Weeping Camel
    Touching the Void
    Z-Channel: A Magnificent Obsession

    FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
    Bad Education
    Hero
    House of Flying Daggers
    Les Choristes
    Look at Me
    Maria Full of Grace
    The Motorcycle Diaries
    The Sea Within
    A Very Long Engagement

    It's bound to be a foreign film fiasco at the Oscars this year.
    Walter
    Salles' "The Motorcycle Diaries," Pedro Almodovar's "Bad Education,"
    Jean-Pierre Annaud's "A Very Long Engagement" and Agnes Jaoui's "Look at
    Me"
    are not eligible because of politics, even though each director has
    previously
    received nominations for Best Foreign Language feature.
    According to the Academy's arcane rules, every country selects one
    film
    to submit for consideration. Spain, for example, chose "The Sea Within,"
    the
    true story of a paraplegic's campaign for assisted suicide, instead of
    "Bad
    Education." Insofar as "The Motorcycle Diaries" is concerned, it was
    filmed in
    several South American countries, largely with U.S. funding; as a
    result, no
    one country claimed ownership. "A Very Long Engagement" failed to meet
    the
    Sept. 15th deadline for an opening in its country of origin and "Look at
    Me"
    seems to have been felled by France's enthusiasm for "Les Choristes," a
    sentimental musical directed by the lesser-known Christopher Barratie.

    BEST FAMILY FILM (live-action):
    Finding Neverland
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Miracle
    National Treasure
    Spider-Man 2

    BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE of an ACTOR/ACTRESS (under 21):
    Liam Aiken, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Cameron Bright, Birth
    Emily Browning, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
    Dakota Fanning, Man on Fire
    Freddie Highmore, Finding Neverland
    Lindsay Lohan, Mean Girls
    Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Emmy Rossum, Phantom of the Opera
    William Ullrich, Beyond the Sea
    Emma Watson, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

    SOUNDTRACK:
    The Aviator
    Beyond the Sea
    De-Lovely
    Finding Neverland
    Million Dollar Baby
    Ray
    Shrek 2
    The Incredibles
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Polar Express

    BEST PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION:
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
    Something the Lord Made
    The Wool Cap

    Ivana Humpalot, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Ivana Humpalot

    Ed Kim Guest

    Ivana Humpalot wrote:
    > SUSAN GRANGER'S 10 BEST OF 2004 list: (in alphabetical order)

    *snip*

    > FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
    > Bad Education
    > Hero
    > House of Flying Daggers
    > Les Choristes
    > Look at Me
    > Maria Full of Grace
    > The Motorcycle Diaries
    > The Sea Within
    > A Very Long Engagement
    >
    > It's bound to be a foreign film fiasco at the Oscars this year.
    > Walter
    > Salles' "The Motorcycle Diaries," Pedro Almodovar's "Bad Education,"
    > Jean-Pierre Annaud's "A Very Long Engagement" and Agnes Jaoui's "Look

    at
    > Me"
    > are not eligible because of politics, even though each director has
    > previously
    > received nominations for Best Foreign Language feature.
    > According to the Academy's arcane rules, every country selects

    one
    > film
    > to submit for consideration. Spain, for example, chose "The Sea

    Within,"
    > the
    > true story of a paraplegic's campaign for assisted suicide, instead

    of
    > "Bad
    > Education." Insofar as "The Motorcycle Diaries" is concerned, it was
    > filmed in
    > several South American countries, largely with U.S. funding; as a
    > result, no
    > one country claimed ownership. "A Very Long Engagement" failed to

    meet
    > the
    > Sept. 15th deadline for an opening in its country of origin and "Look

    at
    > Me"
    > seems to have been felled by France's enthusiasm for "Les Choristes,"

    > sentimental musical directed by the lesser-known Christopher

    Barratie.

    HERO also shouldn't be in that list as it was already nom'd a couple of
    years ago.

    i'd also put INTIMATE STRANGERS in the list. Patrice Leconte is great.
    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Dec 21, 2004