    updates from the Microsoft servers? Also, if this is possible, would it have
    to be selected during installation of SUS or can it be conigured after SUS is
    installed?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4=?=, Feb 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VEJhY2tzdHJvbQ==?=, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Thanks for the pointer to the white paper. I hadn't read that one before but
    a others and pretty much got the same information. The reason I asked was
    because the a question in my MCSE book said that you can setup a child SUS
    server to synchronize the approved updates list from a parent server but
    still let the clients download the updates from Microsoft.

    I still don't see that this is possible and take it that the book was wrong.
    On the SUS options page for using parent SUS server, you can only select to
    download content *or* content and the updates list, not just the updates
    list, and GPO cannot configure clients to get the updates list from an
    intranet server and then download the updates from Microsoft. Am I right in
    saying this? I am wondering though if you can manually setup a content distro
    point and copy only the approvedupdates.txt there, will the clients just read
    that and then fall back to getting the updates from Microsoft because the cab
    files don't exist?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4=?=, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Colin, check page 14 of the white paper:

    "Storage of Updates and Supported Client Languages

    Two types of data are included during the synchronization of your server
    running SUS:

    • The metadata or “dictionary objects†that describe the available packages
    and their applicability. This information is downloaded in a file named
    Aucatalog1.cab.

    • The actual package files that contain the updates.

    During synchronization, the Aucatalog1.cab file is always downloaded. As the
    administrator, you have the choice of whether or not to download the actual
    package files referenced in the metadata.

    If you choose not to download the actual package files, the packages will
    remain on the Microsoft Windows Update servers. In this mode the computers
    running Automatic Updates will connect to your server running SUS, read the
    list of approved packages, and then download just the list of approved
    packages from the live Microsoft Windows Update servers on the Internet. This
    option allows you to take advantage of the live Microsoft Windows Update
    servers that are placed across the globe and also to maintain control of the
    updates your clients are installing.

    To select this option, click "Maintain the updates on a Microsoft Windows
    Updates server" on the Set options page."

    MCSE on Windows 2000
    MCSA: Messaging on Windows 2003
    MCSA: Messaging on Windows 2000
    Retired U.S. Air Force

    =?Utf-8?B?VEJhY2tzdHJvbQ==?=, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Thanks TBackstrom, I'm an idiot. I didn't read the Options page properly.
    Thats what I get for trying to learn this at work while working the same time
    :) Thanks for helping out.

    Regards,
    Colin

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4=?=, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Glad to help out, Colin. I've never been good at studying while at work either.

    =?Utf-8?B?VEJhY2tzdHJvbQ==?=, Feb 12, 2006