Survey shows Internet Explorer users are dumber

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dean Matthews, Jul 30, 2011.

  1. It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    100,000 test subjects can't be wrong

    A comprehensive study of web users has determined that the dumber you
    are, the more likely you are to use Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    After measuring the IQs of exactly 101,326 users and correlating their
    scores with the browser they had used to access the test, "There was a
    clear indication ... that the subjects using any version of Internet
    Explorer ranked significantly lower on an average than others,"
    concludes the study, conducted by the Vancouver, Canada,
    psychometric-assessment firm, AptiQuant.

    The methodology of the study appears sound. English-speaking users from
    the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand were drawn to a free IQ
    assessment test on AptiQuant's website either organically through
    unprompted search-engine results or through advertisements. Before being
    given the test, subjects were asked their age and gender; subjects under
    16 were redirected to a different site, and their data was not used in
    the test.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/aptiquant_iq_survey/

    http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2011/07/29/dumb-people-use-internet-explorer-survey-says/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/236944/internet_explorer_users_are_kinda_stupid_study_suggests.html

    Dean Matthews, Jul 30, 2011

  2. Dean Matthews

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 30/07/2011 9:25 p.m., Dean Matthews wrote:
    > It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    > 100,000 test subjects can't be wrong
    >
    > A comprehensive study of web users has determined that the dumber you
    > are, the more likely you are to use Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    >
    > After measuring the IQs of exactly 101,326 users and correlating their
    > scores with the browser they had used to access the test, "There was a
    > clear indication ... that the subjects using any version of Internet
    > Explorer ranked significantly lower on an average than others,"
    > concludes the study, conducted by the Vancouver, Canada,
    > psychometric-assessment firm, AptiQuant.
    >

    > The methodology of the study appears sound. English-speaking users from
    > the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand were drawn to a free IQ
    > assessment test on AptiQuant's website either organically through
    > unprompted search-engine results or through advertisements. Before being
    > given the test, subjects were asked their age and gender; subjects under
    > 16 were redirected to a different site, and their data was not used in
    > the test.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/aptiquant_iq_survey/
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2011/07/29/dumb-people-use-internet-explorer-survey-says/
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/236944/internet_explorer_users_are_kinda_stupid_study_suggests.html

    No surprise there.

    Gib Bogle, Jul 30, 2011

  3. Dean Matthews

    Ray Greene Guest

    And it proves conclusively that the most intelligent people are those
    who use Opera.

    I have to say that I'm not the slightest bit surprised :)

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jul 31, 2011
  4. Dean Matthews

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-30, Dean Matthews <> wrote:
    > It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    > 100,000 test subjects can't be wrong

    But is the testing?

    > The methodology of the study appears sound. English-speaking users from
    > the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand were drawn to a free IQ
    > assessment test on AptiQuant's website either organically through
    > unprompted search-engine results or through advertisements.

    Now here is the problem. (Heck I am going into battle for MSIE if somewhat
    indirectly). The problem with all surveys/poll is getting a reprenstive
    sample. That means that you take a *random* sample and they will answer
    your questions honestly. Okay Tui billbord come in please.

    Baiting people is not teh way to get a *random* sample.

    In short, the register needs to improve or join the News of the World. Some
    other posters have already said so in this ng.

    Gordon, Jul 31, 2011
  5. On 31 Jul 2011 05:45:36 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-07-30, Dean Matthews <> wrote:
    >> It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    >> 100,000 test subjects can't be wrong

    >But is the testing?
    >

    >> The methodology of the study appears sound. English-speaking users from
    >> the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand were drawn to a free IQ
    >> assessment test on AptiQuant's website either organically through
    >> unprompted search-engine results or through advertisements.

    >Now here is the problem. (Heck I am going into battle for MSIE if somewhat
    >indirectly). The problem with all surveys/poll is getting a reprenstive
    >sample. That means that you take a *random* sample and they will answer
    >your questions honestly. Okay Tui billbord come in please.
    >
    >Baiting people is not teh way to get a *random* sample.
    >
    >In short, the register needs to improve or join the News of the World. Some
    >other posters have already said so in this ng.

    WHAT A TOTTLY LOAD OF UTTER CRAP..

    Frank Williams, Jul 31, 2011
  6. On 31 Jul 2011 05:45:36 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    > Baiting people is not teh way to get a *random* sample.
    >
    > In short, the register needs to improve or join the News of the World. Some
    > other posters have already said so in this ng.

    You bark up the wrong tree.

    The Register did not conduct this survey. And this survey has been
    reported on hundreds of sites, including the three which I posted links
    to.

    Dean Matthews, Aug 2, 2011
  7. Dean Matthews

    Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:25:21 +1200, Dean Matthews <>
    wrote:

    >It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    >100,000 test subjects can't be wrong
    >
    >A comprehensive study of web users has determined that the dumber you
    >are, the more likely you are to use Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    >
    >After measuring the IQs of exactly 101,326 users and correlating their
    >scores with the browser they had used to access the test, "There was a
    >clear indication ... that the subjects using any version of Internet
    >Explorer ranked significantly lower on an average than others,"
    >concludes the study, conducted by the Vancouver, Canada,
    >psychometric-assessment firm, AptiQuant.

    It is interesting to see that in 2006 Opera users had an average IQ
    of 100 whereas in 2011 it had risen to over 120.
    It could be concluded from this that Opera is so user unfriendly that
    you have to have a high IQ to be able to use it without any hassles.

    In fact the same reasoning could be applied to the whole survey
    leading to the conclusion that IE is the most user friendly browser.

    , Aug 2, 2011
  8. Dean Matthews

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:25:21 +1200, Dean Matthews <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    >> 100,000 test subjects can't be wrong
    >>
    >> A comprehensive study of web users has determined that the dumber you
    >> are, the more likely you are to use Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> After measuring the IQs of exactly 101,326 users and correlating
    >> their scores with the browser they had used to access the test,
    >> "There was a clear indication ... that the subjects using any
    >> version of Internet Explorer ranked significantly lower on an
    >> average than others," concludes the study, conducted by the
    >> Vancouver, Canada, psychometric-assessment firm, AptiQuant.

    > It is interesting to see that in 2006 Opera users had an average IQ
    > of 100 whereas in 2011 it had risen to over 120.
    > It could be concluded from this that Opera is so user unfriendly that
    > you have to have a high IQ to be able to use it without any hassles.
    >
    > In fact the same reasoning could be applied to the whole survey
    > leading to the conclusion that IE is the most user friendly browser.

    I thought the same thing (but rarely post in these dick-sizing threads). The
    one time I tried Opera several years ago I decided that I wasn't masochistic
    enough to keep on using it (and I have an IQ of 148). I went to Firefox
    instead.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2011
  9. In article <j1a2hn$3m3$>,
    says...

    > I thought the same thing (but rarely post in these dick-sizing threads). The
    > one time I tried Opera several years ago I decided that I wasn't masochistic
    > enough to keep on using it (and I have an IQ of 148). I went to Firefox
    > instead.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Currently using opera 11.5 here, and it's no longer an exercise in masochism.
    About the _only_ gripe I have with it is the behaviour when I close a tab, it
    reverts in a different way compared to the Firefox way that I've gotten used to
    over the years. The big front panel with the tiles for starting websites is
    even nicer to use than the Firefox custom-button-bar and every bit as
    customizable.
    Since Firefox has been giving me a lot of grief lately when I tried to upgrade
    to 5.0, and I have not been able to restore to a stable version with all my
    bookmarks, passwords etc in place despite hours of googling (as well as some
    advice given here) and futile hacking around, I've taken to using Opera full
    time now. Fairly happy overall. One can, at this juncture, probably safely
    assume that even fewer asshats will be looking for Opera exploits than Firefox
    ..... ;-)

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 3, 2011
  10. Dean Matthews

    Guest

    , Aug 3, 2011
  11. Dean Matthews

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <j1a2hn$3m3$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I thought the same thing (but rarely post in these dick-sizing
    >> threads). The one time I tried Opera several years ago I decided
    >> that I wasn't masochistic enough to keep on using it (and I have an
    >> IQ of 148). I went to Firefox instead.

    > Currently using opera 11.5 here, and it's no longer an exercise in
    > masochism. About the _only_ gripe I have with it is the behaviour
    > when I close a tab, it reverts in a different way compared to the
    > Firefox way that I've gotten used to over the years. The big front
    > panel with the tiles for starting websites is even nicer to use than
    > the Firefox custom-button-bar and every bit as customizable.

    Handy to know, thanks Peter.

    > Since Firefox has been giving me a lot of grief lately when I tried
    > to upgrade to 5.0, and I have not been able to restore to a stable
    > version with all my bookmarks, passwords etc in place despite hours
    > of googling (as well as some advice given here) and futile hacking
    > around,

    I'm still using Firefox 3.6.18. When they 'push' updates out then I'll
    update. However I figure they don't do that until they're rock-solid. That's
    why I'm still on FF3.

    > I've taken to using Opera full time now. Fairly happy
    > overall. One can, at this juncture, probably safely assume that even
    > fewer asshats will be looking for Opera exploits than Firefox .... ;-)

    Yep, the reason I left IE in the first place all those years ago.

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Aug 4, 2011
  12. Dean Matthews

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-08-02, Dean Matthews <> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul 2011 05:45:36 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >> Baiting people is not teh way to get a *random* sample.
    >>
    >> In short, the register needs to improve or join the News of the World. Some
    >> other posters have already said so in this ng.

    > You bark up the wrong tree.
    >
    > The Register did not conduct this survey. And this survey has been
    > reported on hundreds of sites, including the three which I posted links
    > to.

    Well, now that this matter has been admitted as a scam, how do we all feel

    Gordon, Aug 4, 2011
  13. Dean Matthews

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Jul 30, 9:25 pm, Dean Matthews <> wrote:
    > It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers
    > 100,000 test subjects can't be wrong
    >
    > A comprehensive study of web users has determined that the dumber you
    > are, the more likely you are to use Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    >
    > After measuring the IQs of exactly 101,326 users and correlating their
    > scores with the browser they had used to access the test, "There was a
    > clear indication ... that the subjects using any version of Internet
    > Explorer ranked significantly lower on an average than others,"
    > concludes the study, conducted by the Vancouver, Canada,
    > psychometric-assessment firm, AptiQuant.
    >
    > The methodology of the study appears sound. English-speaking users from
    > the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand were drawn to a free IQ
    > assessment test on AptiQuant's website either organically through
    > unprompted search-engine results or through advertisements. Before being
    > given the test, subjects were asked their age and gender; subjects under
    > 16 were redirected to a different site, and their data was not used in
    > the test.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/aptiquant_iq_survey/
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft...rticle/236944/internet_explorer_users_are_kin...

    Before this was exposed as a scam I did wonder if you needed extra
    intelligence to handle the odd interfaces exposed by Firefox, Opera,
    Safari et al.

    It is a relief to find we are all equaly dumb...

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 6, 2011