    4 sockets, 6,500 amps,. What is the best way to set it up for max
    protection. Can I run tv, dvd, pc on it? Can I run a separate lead from it,
    connecting to further devices? Thanks.

    Nowhere, Nov 23, 2005

  2. David H. Lipman, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Nowhere

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:55:23 -0000, "Nowhere"
    <> wrote:

    >4 sockets, 6,500 amps,. What is the best way to set it up for max
    >protection. Can I run tv, dvd, pc on it? Can I run a separate lead from it,
    >connecting to further devices? Thanks.

    Above all, makes sure you plug it into a grounded outlet and make sure
    that it is a good, low-resistance ground. (Using a voltmeter to
    measure voltage between hot - neutral and hot - ground. If you have a
    big difference, possibly your ground resistance is high.

    Multi-mode surge protection without a ground will not function
    properly.

    You can put reasonable loads on it. It probably is protected with a
    circuit breaker. There was an issue a few years ago about old MOV
    (Metal Oxide Varistors - the active surge protector component) growing
    old, failing, and catching plastic outlet strips on fire. Not sure if
    they fixed this, but I prefer metal-cased outlet strips, myself.

    If you live in a lightning prone area, you might want to consider
    additional countermeasures such as a whole house surge protector.
    Lightning can enter your house through cable tv cable and phone wires
    as well.

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Nowhere

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:38:48 GMT, (Beachcomber)
    wrote:

    >Above all, makes sure you plug it into a grounded outlet and make sure
    >that it is a good, low-resistance ground. (Using a voltmeter to
    >measure voltage between hot - neutral and hot - ground. If you have a
    >big difference, possibly your ground resistance is high.

    'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
    days its all PME here.

    http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/electrical.html#earthing

    The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
    lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
    locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
    and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
    arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
    regularly.

    I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
    a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 23, 2005
  5. From: "Jim Watt" <_way>

    | 'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
    | days its all PME here.
    |
    | http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/electrical.html#earthing
    |
    | The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
    | lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
    | locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
    | and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
    | arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
    | regularly.
    |
    | I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
    | a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.

    Funny - A watt discussing surge protection :)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Nowhere

    Notan Guest

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Jim Watt" <_way>
    >

    > | 'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
    > | days its all PME here.
    > |
    > | http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/electrical.html#earthing
    > |
    > | The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
    > | lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
    > | locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
    > | and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
    > | arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
    > | regularly.
    > |
    > | I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
    > | a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.
    >
    > Funny - A watt discussing surge protection :)

    Watt's that supposed to mean?

    Notan

    Notan, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Nowhere

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:21:41 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Funny - A watt discussing surge protection :)

    none of your lip man.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Nowhere

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:25:35 -0700, Notan <> wrote:

    >Watt's that supposed to mean?

    Paleface speak with forked lightning, receive joule in second

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Nov 23, 2005