    comments/information/recommendations would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Harvey Gratt

    Jim Tiberio Guest

    "Harvey Gratt" <> wrote in message
    news:L274b.233621$...
    > I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers as
    > to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or must be
    > directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the modem
    > having a surge protector and its conflict with another surge protector).
    >
    > I realize that this will not protect against a direct lighting strike,
    > but I would like to know if there would be any issues with connecting
    > the modem via a surge protector. Any
    > comments/information/recommendations would be appreciated.

    Mine has been plugged in through a surge protector for nearly two years
    without issue.

    Jim Tiberio, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Harvey Gratt

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:38:19 GMT, Harvey Gratt wrote:

    >I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers as
    >to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or must be
    >directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the modem

    <snip>
    My SB3100 is been in a surge protected socket for many years.

    Me

    why?, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Harvey Gratt

    Soup Guest

    Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers
    > as to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or
    > must be directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the
    > modem having a surge protector and its conflict with another surge
    > protector).

    <snip>
    > Thanks.
    > Harvey

    My Motorola surfboard (SB2400) cable modem is plugged into a surge
    protection strip along with my system, monitor, speakers and printer, with
    no problems.
    A surge protector is a pretty (totally ?) latent device can't see how
    having two or even three of them in a row could cause conflicts.

    --
    yours S (addy' not usable[not that you would try it anyway])
    there wis a hare ran tae a burn it ran sae fast it couldnae turn

    Soup, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Harvey Gratt

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:38:19 +0000, Harvey Gratt wrote:

    > I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers as
    > to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or must be
    > directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the modem
    > having a surge protector and its conflict with another surge protector).
    >
    > I realize that this will not protect against a direct lighting strike,
    > but I would like to know if there would be any issues with connecting
    > the modem via a surge protector. Any
    > comments/information/recommendations would be appreciated.

    I don't worry about my Motorola Surfboard. If it gets spiked and smoked by
    a power surge, lightning, etc., the cable-company will just exchange it
    for a replacement.

    --
    Paul S
    - Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping. -

    paul s, Aug 31, 2003
  6. A protected power source will have no conflicts with the modem. It's a
    non-issue. Those same morons probably do environmental science.

    > I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers as
    > to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or must be
    > directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the modem
    > having a surge protector and its conflict with another surge protector).
    >
    > I realize that this will not protect against a direct lighting strike,
    > but I would like to know if there would be any issues with connecting
    > the modem via a surge protector. Any
    > comments/information/recommendations would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Harvey

    ---

    BananaPannaPoe, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Harvey Gratt

    w_tom Guest

    You get conflicting answers because most who recommend
    plug-in surge protectors don't even know what they do.
    Implied is the idea that a surge protector stops, blocks,
    filters, or absorbs a surge. Could not be more inaccurate.
    It simply connects the modem direct to AC mains when AC
    voltage is well below the 330 volt limit.

    But then most who recommend surge protectors are outrightly
    deceived as to what they do. They claim protection from a
    surge that typically does not exist. They do not provide
    effective protection from the type of surge that causes
    damage. So instead they forget to mention that other type of
    surges exist. They forget to mention that a surge protector
    is only as effective as its earth ground.

    Your cable requires no surge protector. Earth ground - not
    a surge protector - is the surge protection. Fundamaental
    difference between surge protection and surge protector. If
    you cable is properly installed, then it connects direct
    (hardwired and less than 10 feet) to surge protection before
    it enters the building. AC electric also must connect to
    surge protection. Since AC electric cannot be connected
    directly to earth ground, then we make that less than 10 foot
    earthing connection through a 'whole house' protector.

    Concepts have been summarized in a previous post: "Opinions
    on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the newsgroup
    alt.certification.a-plus or
    http://tinyurl.com/l3m9

    w_tom, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks. I am aware of these issues. The main reason I want to plug into
    a surge protector is ease of access to the plug if/when the modem needs
    to be reset, etc.(AC outlet is behind a desk and requires moving the
    desk - a minor pain).

    So, I just want to make sure that I, at least, will not be causing any
    other problems/issues.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Harvey Gratt

    Suenet Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:38:19 +0000, Harvey Gratt wrote:

    > I have the Motorola SURFboard cable modem. I get conflicting answers as
    > to whether its AC plug can be plugged into a surge protector or must be
    > directly plugged into an AC wall outlet (something about the modem
    > having a surge protector and its conflict with another surge protector).
    >
    > I realize that this will not protect against a direct lighting strike,
    > but I would like to know if there would be any issues with connecting
    > the modem via a surge protector. Any
    > comments/information/recommendations would be appreciated.

    You're kidding right? Plugging most any electronic device into a surge
    supressor can only be beneficial.

    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  10. Harvey Gratt

    w_tom Guest

    There is no conflict between surge protectors. They remain
    inert - do nothing - until that excessive voltage. However
    some call plug-in UPSes as surge protectors. A power strip
    protector plugged into a UPSes can have adverse effects to UPS
    or power strip protector.

    In the meantime, a surge protector located too close to
    transistors and to far from earth ground can even contribute
    to damage of that appliance. A surge protector adjacent to
    the appliance will only provide the surge with more
    potentially destructive paths to earth. If a power strip is
    required, then better to pay many times less for one that is
    only a power strip AND has the important 15 amp circuit
    breaker. These power strips, with the important safety
    feature sometimes not found in surge protectors, cost about $3
    at Walmart or Home Depot.

    w_tom, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Harvey Gratt

    Rosco Guest

    There is ABSOLUTLEY NO REASON why two surge protectors would "conflict"
    with eachother, you are good to go on the issue. Just remember the cable
    line has to be protected too not just the AC adapter.

    Harvey Gratt <> wrote in news:L274b.233621$It4.111233
    @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

    Rosco, Sep 1, 2003