"Surfboard" installed with TelstraClear digital TV connection

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by A Friend, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. A Friend

    A Friend Guest

    We live in Wellington. Last week we changed telephone provider to
    Telstra Clear as it provides Sky TV down the telephone cable, cheaper
    than a dish and for much improved FTA viewing.

    Last night while trying to reconnect the DVD player (which the
    technician had unplugged to stick the Sky cables into the TV's DVD
    slots) we discovered a second unit, additional to the Sky settop box,
    that had been installed and was hidden behind the TV cabinet.

    It was a Motorola device and had the word "Surfboard" on it.

    Nothing in the guff that came with the installation mentions this
    device and there is nothing about it on TelstraClear's website. We
    turned it off and pulled out its plug, and all the Sky channels and
    the phone still work the same.

    What is this extra box and what does it do, especially as turning it
    off makes no difference we can see to the service?
    A Friend, Mar 25, 2007

  2. A Friend

    none Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > Nothing in the guff that came with the installation mentions this
    > device and there is nothing about it on TelstraClear's website. We
    > turned it off and pulled out its plug, and all the Sky channels and
    > the phone still work the same.
    >
    > What is this extra box and what does it do, especially as turning it
    > off makes no difference we can see to the service?

    I believe it's to provide it with Interblag. For updating software,
    schedules, PPV stuff and the like.
    none, Mar 25, 2007

  3. A Friend

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:03:41 +1200, none <> wrote:

    >A Friend wrote:
    >> Nothing in the guff that came with the installation mentions this
    >> device and there is nothing about it on TelstraClear's website. We
    >> turned it off and pulled out its plug, and all the Sky channels and
    >> the phone still work the same.
    >>
    >> What is this extra box and what does it do, especially as turning it
    >> off makes no difference we can see to the service?

    >I believe it's to provide it with Interblag. For updating software,
    >schedules, PPV stuff and the like.

    Its also used as a Broadband Cable modem..

    As that is what it is..

    I can not even see what the purpose is as Firmware updates can be provided by the connection to
    the Digital set top box..

    Also it seems that the only option for you PC is via USB, as the LAN port is used by the set top
    box..
    Mathew Good, Mar 25, 2007
  4. A Friend

    Rob S Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > We live in Wellington. Last week we changed telephone provider to
    > Telstra Clear as it provides Sky TV down the telephone cable, cheaper
    > than a dish and for much improved FTA viewing.
    >
    > Last night while trying to reconnect the DVD player (which the
    > technician had unplugged to stick the Sky cables into the TV's DVD
    > slots) we discovered a second unit, additional to the Sky settop box,
    > that had been installed and was hidden behind the TV cabinet.
    >
    > It was a Motorola device and had the word "Surfboard" on it.
    >
    > Nothing in the guff that came with the installation mentions this
    > device and there is nothing about it on TelstraClear's website. We
    > turned it off and pulled out its plug, and all the Sky channels and
    > the phone still work the same.
    >
    > What is this extra box and what does it do, especially as turning it
    > off makes no difference we can see to the service?

    That is a cable modem for TC's high speed internet. I have a Motorola
    SB5100 cable modem, into which I plug my router (or computer).

    Did you get a package from Telstraclear with TV, phone and internet? If
    so, did you get high speed net or dial-up? If you got dial-up, I can't
    see any reason for leaving a cable modem. Maybe TC hope you will upgrade
    to high speed net.

    But I also don't understand why you would unplug it. Is this normal
    practice, finding something you don't understand, so you remove it?

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.
    Rob S, Mar 25, 2007
  5. A Friend

    A Friend Guest

    Rob S wrote:

    > That is a cable modem for TC's high speed internet. I have a Motorola
    > SB5100 cable modem, into which I plug my router (or computer).
    >
    > Did you get a package from Telstraclear with TV, phone and internet?

    Not with Internet. We use Slingshot. We only wanted TelstraClear to
    get a good television reception on the free-to-air channels.

    > But I also don't understand why you would unplug it. Is this normal
    > practice, finding something you don't understand, so you remove it?

    We didn't ask for it, and unplugging it had no effect on the
    television service we required.

    We'll ask TelstraClear to remove it, if all it is is a modem box we
    don't require.
    A Friend, Mar 26, 2007
  6. A Friend

    Mathew Good Guest

    On 25 Mar 2007 16:02:20 -0700, "A Friend" <> wrote:

    >Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> That is a cable modem for TC's high speed internet. I have a Motorola
    >> SB5100 cable modem, into which I plug my router (or computer).
    >>
    >> Did you get a package from Telstraclear with TV, phone and internet?

    >Not with Internet. We use Slingshot. We only wanted TelstraClear to
    >get a good television reception on the free-to-air channels.
    >
    >> But I also don't understand why you would unplug it. Is this normal
    >> practice, finding something you don't understand, so you remove it?

    >We didn't ask for it, and unplugging it had no effect on the
    >television service we required.
    >
    >We'll ask TelstraClear to remove it, if all it is is a modem box we
    >don't require.

    It comes with ALL the Digital set top boxes..
    Mathew Good, Mar 26, 2007
  7. A Friend

    Earl Grey Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> That is a cable modem for TC's high speed internet. I have a Motorola
    >> SB5100 cable modem, into which I plug my router (or computer).
    >>
    >> Did you get a package from Telstraclear with TV, phone and internet?

    > Not with Internet. We use Slingshot. We only wanted TelstraClear to
    > get a good television reception on the free-to-air channels.
    >
    >> But I also don't understand why you would unplug it. Is this normal
    >> practice, finding something you don't understand, so you remove it?

    > We didn't ask for it, and unplugging it had no effect on the
    > television service we required.
    >
    > We'll ask TelstraClear to remove it, if all it is is a modem box we
    > don't require.

    It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    electronic programme guide (EPG) information.
    If you get a Telstraclear internet connection they will supply another one.
    Earl Grey, Mar 26, 2007
  8. In article <46070613$>, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    > A Friend wrote:
    > > Rob S wrote:
    > >
    > >> That is a cable modem for TC's high speed internet. I have a Motorola
    > >> SB5100 cable modem, into which I plug my router (or computer).
    > >>
    > >> Did you get a package from Telstraclear with TV, phone and internet?

    > > Not with Internet. We use Slingshot. We only wanted TelstraClear to
    > > get a good television reception on the free-to-air channels.
    > >
    > >> But I also don't understand why you would unplug it. Is this normal
    > >> practice, finding something you don't understand, so you remove it?

    > > We didn't ask for it, and unplugging it had no effect on the
    > > television service we required.
    > >
    > > We'll ask TelstraClear to remove it, if all it is is a modem box we
    > > don't require.
    > >

    > It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    > electronic programme guide (EPG) information.
    > If you get a Telstraclear internet connection they will supply another one.

    Correct. It is also used for ordering Pay Per View movies. That is,
    without it plugged in, you can't do that.

    It doesn't cost any extra---it is just part o the digital set top box
    setup.

    Yes, if you *do* order Broadband, you will get another cable modem. You
    can't actually reach the Internet through the DTV associated cable modem.
    Michael Newbery, Mar 26, 2007
  9. A Friend

    A Friend Guest

    Michael Newbery wrote:

    > Earl Grey wrote:

    > > It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    > > electronic programme guide (EPG) information.

    > Correct. It is also used for ordering Pay Per View movies. That is,
    > without it plugged in, you can't do that.

    Ah, thank you both. Yes I see there is a programme guide with it,
    though why we'd need one I don't know. It's only to watch the 6pm news
    and the odd other programme which we can look up much faster in the
    paper.

    I suppose some people must spend their days watching all those
    channels, rather than having a life..... :)
    A Friend, Mar 26, 2007
  10. A Friend

    Earl Grey Guest

    A Friend wrote:
    > Michael Newbery wrote:
    >
    >> Earl Grey wrote:

    >>> It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    >>> electronic programme guide (EPG) information.

    >> Correct. It is also used for ordering Pay Per View movies. That is,
    >> without it plugged in, you can't do that.

    > Ah, thank you both. Yes I see there is a programme guide with it,
    > though why we'd need one I don't know. It's only to watch the 6pm news
    > and the odd other programme which we can look up much faster in the
    > paper.
    >
    > I suppose some people must spend their days watching all those
    > channels, rather than having a life..... :)

    There are probably viewers with different preferences to your own.
    Using the EPG isn't compulsory, and carries no obligation to watch more
    or less.
    Earl Grey, Mar 26, 2007
  11. A Friend

    David Empson Guest

    A Friend <> wrote:

    > Michael Newbery wrote:
    >
    > > Earl Grey wrote:

    > > > It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    > > > electronic programme guide (EPG) information.

    > > Correct. It is also used for ordering Pay Per View movies. That is,
    > > without it plugged in, you can't do that.

    > Ah, thank you both. Yes I see there is a programme guide with it,
    > though why we'd need one I don't know. It's only to watch the 6pm news
    > and the odd other programme which we can look up much faster in the
    > paper.

    The programme guide at the bottom of the screen (e.g. when you change
    channels) works without the cable modem, but has limited scope. The
    cable modem allows the decoder box to download the full guide (accessed
    with the EPG button on the remote), which also gives you multiple days
    and a timetable. I'm not sure exactly where the line is drawn, e.g.
    whether the "more information" is supplied with the EPG (via cable
    modem) or with the digital TV signal.

    And I can confirm that you get a second cable modem if you want digital
    TV and high-speed Internet.

    Incidentally, the older analog decoders used an analog modem to download
    their EPG. I'm not sure why the digital cable TV still requires a
    TelstraClear telephone line to be installed, except for marketing
    reasons.

    > I suppose some people must spend their days watching all those
    > channels, rather than having a life..... :)

    I got cable TV (last week, along with cable modem and phone) because of
    terrible reception of free to air TV via our outside aerial (and
    insufficient signal to use rabbit's ears). I can see TV1 again for the
    first time in ages. Trying a few more channels to see if there are any
    worth keeping, but nothing has grabbed me from occasional random
    browsing.

    I'll see how long it lasts but if I can fix the outside aerial or when
    FreeView arrives I'll probably drop the cable TV again.
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 26, 2007
  12. A Friend

    Tony Guest

    >> It is used by your Telstraclear digital cable TV box to download its
    >> electronic programme guide (EPG) information.
    >> If you get a Telstraclear internet connection they will supply another one.

    > Correct. It is also used for ordering Pay Per View movies. That is,
    > without it plugged in, you can't do that.
    >
    > It doesn't cost any extra---it is just part o the digital set top box
    > setup.
    >
    > Yes, if you *do* order Broadband, you will get another cable modem. You
    > can't actually reach the Internet through the DTV associated cable modem.

    Michael, I didn't know you were a newsgroup lurker ! Hmm... and with all
    those people complaining about TCL's usenet server running out of data
    allocation... It appears just the man to get it sorted is lurking
    here... Need a hand to fix it ? :) TW
    Tony, Mar 26, 2007
  13. A Friend

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 26, 12:55 pm, Michael Newbery
    <_company_name.co.nz> wrote:
    > In article <>, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    > Yes, if you *do* order Broadband, you will get another cable modem. You
    > can't actually reach the Internet through the DTV associated cable modem.

    It is a pity their set top boxes do not have a built in cable modem -
    just so much clutter.
    peterwn, Mar 27, 2007