Surface Scan by Scandisk after improper shutdown

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by August Pamplona, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Situation:

    Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
    surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior should
    be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT the
    surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist running
    the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one that
    lasts many hours).

    Questions:

    What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
    preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
    surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was not
    set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
    even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
    would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
    parameter).

    Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
    sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's a
    bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the file
    system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would there
    be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
    routinely cause this field to be set?

    TIA,
    August Pamplona
    --
    The waterfall in Java is not wet.
    - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

    a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
    To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
    'cosmicaug'

    August Pamplona, Nov 10, 2003

  2. August Pamplona

    DH Guest

    Try looking in the MSDOS.SYS file. You'll find the file in the root
    directory of drive C:. You'll have to change the attributes of the file to
    edit it, but you can look at it without changing anything. Sometimes Windows
    will put a command in the file during a "hiccup" or "brain fart".

    August Pamplona" <> wrote in
    message news:%oErb.5892$...

    DH, Nov 10, 2003

  3. August Pamplona

    °Mike° Guest

    <crossposting snipped>

    You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
    that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
    such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
    has hint text inside it.

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:23:23 GMT, in
    <%oErb.5892$>
    August Pamplona scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 10, 2003
  4. "DH" <> wrote in message
    > Try looking in the MSDOS.SYS file. You'll find the file in the root
    > directory of drive C:. You'll have to change the attributes of the

    file to
    > edit it, but you can look at it without changing anything. Sometimes

    Windows
    > will put a command in the file during a "hiccup" or "brain fart".

    There is a parameter in that file which controls whether Scandisk is
    run after a bad shutdown and, if so, whether it will prompt the user
    (see http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q118/5/79.asp). My
    question is not addressed by that as my question doesn't deal with
    Scandisk running after a bad shutdown (a good thing) but rather with the
    annoyance Scandisk running the surface scan in this circumstance --which
    in my experience with my computers is not normal (IOW, unless I'm the
    one having a "brain fart" here, as far as I can remember, though
    Scandisk will obviously run after a bad shutdown --if configured to do
    so-- it should not run the surface scan).

    August Pamplona
    --
    The waterfall in Java is not wet.
    - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

    a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
    To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
    'cosmicaug'

    > August Pamplona" <>

    wrote in

    August Pamplona, Nov 10, 2003
  5. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > <crossposting snipped>
    >
    > You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
    > that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
    > such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
    > has hint text inside it.

    No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
    directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
    parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .

    August Pamplona

    August Pamplona, Nov 10, 2003
  6. August Pamplona

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
    <XiTrb.8500$>
    August Pamplona scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> <crossposting snipped>
    >>
    >> You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
    >> that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
    >> such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
    >> has hint text inside it.

    > No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
    >directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
    >parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
    >
    >August Pamplona

    Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
    win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
    calls scandisk.

    Creating a New Win.com File When You Cannot Start Windows

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 10, 2003
  7. August Pamplona

    Ben Myers Guest

    It is my understanding that Windows 98 runs scandisk with the "/custom" and
    "/simpleui" switch after a bad shutdown. I suggest editing "scandisk.ini".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 10, 2003
  8. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
    > <XiTrb.8500$>
    > August Pamplona scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> <crossposting snipped>
    > >>
    > >> You may have a "scandisk.ini" file in your root directory
    > >> that stipulates to perform a surface scan. Check for
    > >> such a file and alter the parameters. The file usually
    > >> has hint text inside it.

    > > No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
    > >directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
    > >parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
    > >
    > >August Pamplona

    > Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
    > win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
    > calls scandisk.

    Why would win.com ever get changed? And if it was attributable an
    instance of some sort of random corruption, how could Windows still
    remain bootable?

    August Pamplona

    August Pamplona, Nov 11, 2003
  9. "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > It is my understanding that Windows 98 runs scandisk with the

    "/custom" and
    > "/simpleui" switch after a bad shutdown. I suggest editing

    "scandisk.ini".

    > Ben

    I sit corrected (the '/simpleui' switch is undocumented but it is
    also right there in 'Win.com' along with '/custom'). Yet scandisk.ini
    was set not to run a surface scan.

    August Pamplona

    August Pamplona, Nov 11, 2003
  10. August Pamplona

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:52:44 GMT, in
    <gDesb.9823$>
    August Pamplona scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:20:55 GMT, in
    >> <XiTrb.8500$>
    >> August Pamplona scrawled:
    >>
    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> > No such file there. There was such a file in the windows\command
    >> >directory (as well as some cab directory) and it had the 'surface'
    >> >parameter on the 'custom' section set to 'never' .
    >> >
    >> >August Pamplona

    >> Boot into DOS from a floppy with CD support, rename
    >> win.com and extract a fresh copy. Win.com is what
    >> calls scandisk.

    > Why would win.com ever get changed? And if it was attributable an
    >instance of some sort of random corruption, how could Windows still
    >remain bootable?

    Applications, such as Norton Utilities, can change win.com to
    point to their own routines. It's most likely not a corruption,
    rather a change to the options.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 12, 2003
  11. August Pamplona

    Ben Myers Guest

    To answer your original question, I know of nothing except DOS and Windows
    that would set the surface scan bit in the file allocation table. You might try
    temporarily renaming scandisk.ini to rule it out as the culprit. The simplest
    solution would be to add "AutoScan=0" to the "[Options]" section of
    "c:\msdos.sys".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 15, 2003
  12. August Pamplona

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    Adding AutoScan-0 to msdos.sys will prevent scandisk from
    running after a bad shutdown, and is *bad* advice.

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:04:46 GMT, in
    <Ovptb.1682$>
    Ben Myers scrawled:

    >To answer your original question, I know of nothing except DOS and Windows
    >that would set the surface scan bit in the file allocation table. You might try
    >temporarily renaming scandisk.ini to rule it out as the culprit. The simplest
    >solution would be to add "AutoScan=0" to the "[Options]" section of
    >"c:\msdos.sys".
    >
    >Ben

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003
  13. August Pamplona

    Ace Guest

    I agree !!!

    Ace

    Ace, Nov 15, 2003
  14. August Pamplona

    gangle Guest

    http://www.breadrecipe.com/AZ/GrapeNutsBread.asp

    "Ace" wrote

    gangle, Nov 15, 2003
  15. August Pamplona

    °Mike° Guest

    Stuff your grape nuts, get some sausage down you...

    http://www.cadelyn.com/cuisine/recipes/sausage_bread.html

    http://www.breadrecipe.com/az/SausageBread.asp

    http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/BakedPancakeswithSausages.asp

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:36:33 -0800, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 15, 2003
  16. "August Pamplona" <> wrote in
    message news:%oErb.5892$...
    > Situation:
    >
    > Windows 98 system which seems to want to run Scandisk to do a
    > surface scan on boot-up after each bad shutdown (normal behavior should
    > be, AFAIK, doing only the file system logical error checks but NOT the
    > surface scan). I have verified that no physical problems exist running
    > the Dos based Norton Disk Doctor on the thorough setting (the one that
    > lasts many hours).
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > What might cause this behavior? The only thing I've found in a
    > preliminary Google search which might set Scandisk to always run the
    > surface scan is the configuration file 'scandisk.ini' but this was not
    > set in this way in the aforementioned Windows 98 system (and I don't
    > even think scandisk.ini is used under this circumstance --rather it
    > would be used when it is run from the command line with the '/CUSTOM'
    > parameter).
    >
    > Am I asking the wrong question? Is there anything other than bad
    > sectors which would cause a surface scan to run? I understand there's a
    > bit flag (Microsoft calls it HrdErrBitMask) which can be set in the file
    > system which would make Scandisk run to do a surface scan. Would there
    > be any situations not involving actual physical errors which might
    > routinely cause this field to be set?
    >
    > TIA,
    > August Pamplona
    > --
    > The waterfall in Java is not wet.
    > - omegazero2003 on m.f.w.
    >
    > a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
    > To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
    > 'cosmicaug'
    >
    > the option in scandisk itself - might be set to run the Thorough scan, rather

    than just the standard scan?

    Does Win 98 run the DOS Scandisk or Windows Scandisk after bad shutdown?

    Andrew Murray, Nov 24, 2003
  17. August Pamplona

    Kay Archer Guest

    > Does Win 98 run the DOS Scandisk or Windows Scandisk after bad shutdown?

    DOS

    Kay Archer, Nov 24, 2003
  18. August Pamplona

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:09:05 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AlanS"
    <alan@*remove*.mrals.fsnet.co.uk> wrote :

    >They are different programs, but have the same function. They run in
    >different environments.
    >scandskw.exe for windows
    >scandisk.exe for DOS

    They are the same program.Scandskw.exe is merely the windows launcher
    of scandisk.exe with a window's GUI so it's options don't have to be
    typed in a command line.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,