    a scratch-free microfiber towel. This happened in all cases.

    Before I exchange the burner at my local retailer, is this cloudy haze normal of DVD burners
    and/or DVD media? Thanks.
    Ronald Rey, Mar 2, 2004

  2. On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:26:30 GMT, "Ronald Rey"
    <> wrote:

    >I just installed a new Memorex True 8X Dual format DVD burner (which I understand is a clone
    >of the Pioneer A07). Using both Verbatim and Memorex 4X CD+R media, I successfully ripped
    >and copied a couple of CD movies (without copy protection) using Nero 6. The copies play
    >fine on my two stand-alone DVD players (a Panasonic RV21 and a Philips 702). I also burned
    >a couple of Data disks.
    >
    >However, I noticed that the burn process leaves a permanent cloudy or hazy area on about
    >half of each disk's outer 1/4th surface area (the burning side) that does not wipe off with
    >a scratch-free microfiber towel. This happened in all cases.
    >
    >Before I exchange the burner at my local retailer, is this cloudy haze normal of DVD burners
    >and/or DVD media? Thanks.

    Are you sure you're not just looking at the burned tracks? An
    unburned disc is smooth, reflects like a mirror; the burned area will
    produce a rainbow effect as the light reflects off it. The differnce
    between the burned and unburned region is particularly noticeable on
    DVD+/-R's.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Mar 2, 2004

  3. On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:26:30 GMT, "Ronald Rey"
    <> wrote:

    >However, I noticed that the burn process leaves a permanent cloudy or hazy area on about
    >half of each disk's outer 1/4th surface area (the burning side) that does not wipe off with
    >a scratch-free microfiber towel. This happened in all cases.
    >
    >Before I exchange the burner at my local retailer, is this cloudy haze normal of DVD burners
    >and/or DVD media? Thanks.

    Is this half the disk like a semicircle? Or half way out from the
    centre?

    If you're looking at anything other than the normal change of
    appearance in the burnt part of a cd or dvd, it's more likely to be
    caused by the media than the burner. That disk's spinning pretty
    fast. It's not likely the burner is going to do anything to half of
    it that it doesn't do to the rest.
    Laurence Payne, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Ronald Rey

    Jay Beckman Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:26:30 GMT, "Ronald Rey"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I just installed a new Memorex True 8X Dual format DVD burner (which I

    understand is a clone
    > >of the Pioneer A07). Using both Verbatim and Memorex 4X CD+R media, I

    successfully ripped
    > >and copied a couple of CD movies (without copy protection) using Nero 6.

    The copies play
    > >fine on my two stand-alone DVD players (a Panasonic RV21 and a Philips

    702). I also burned
    > >a couple of Data disks.
    > >
    > >However, I noticed that the burn process leaves a permanent cloudy or

    hazy area on about
    > >half of each disk's outer 1/4th surface area (the burning side) that does

    not wipe off with
    > >a scratch-free microfiber towel. This happened in all cases.
    > >
    > >Before I exchange the burner at my local retailer, is this cloudy haze

    normal of DVD burners
    > >and/or DVD media? Thanks.

    > Are you sure you're not just looking at the burned tracks? An
    > unburned disc is smooth, reflects like a mirror; the burned area will
    > produce a rainbow effect as the light reflects off it. The differnce
    > between the burned and unburned region is particularly noticeable on
    > DVD+/-R's.
    >
    > . Steve ..

    Don't DVDs burn from the center out? Wouldn't that be the UNburned area
    ....?

    Jay In AZ
    Jay Beckman, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Ronald Rey

    Ronald Rey Guest

    Thanks everybody for the help ..... I looked closer at some of my blank disks and they have
    similar cloudy areas on the outer edges so I guess it's my media.

    But they all play great so I okay with it. Bought some new disks today and they are clean
    so maybe I got a bad 5-pack.

    Ronald Rey, Mar 3, 2004
  6. The drive burns at different speed depending on the position of laser that

    Dmitry Minkine, Mar 3, 2004
  7. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:03:23 GMT, "Ronald Rey"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks everybody for the help ..... I looked closer at some of my blank disks and they have
    >similar cloudy areas on the outer edges so I guess it's my media.
    >
    >But they all play great so I okay with it. Bought some new disks today and they are clean
    >so maybe I got a bad 5-pack.

    Among the bulk blanks I've bought there have been such things as
    several in a pack having scratches, even to the reflecting material
    being chipped off; also some have been warped. It's possible yours
    have been subject to heat or a slight pressing error. These things
    are so mass-produced some cosmetic or true technical problems can get
    by...

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Mar 3, 2004