    threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
    driving me insane. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    george, Feb 17, 2004

  2. "george" <> wrote in message
    news:c0soqq$lv2$...
    > Hi All
    > I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
    > newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
    > I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
    > connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
    > "dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
    > IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up

    selected
    > and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set

    my
    > default as follows:
    > IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and

    ok
    > buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection

    and
    > I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
    > full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
    > threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
    > driving me insane. Any ideas?

    The only suggestion is to remove the accounts and add them again. I have
    been
    given this advice several times from my own ISP and it normally works.
    There is something "funny" going on in the OS.

    Kurt F
    Kurt Fredriksson, Feb 17, 2004

  3. I don't think this (resetting the accounts) would be sufficient in your
    case. You might need to reinstall IE to get this sorted out (the alternative
    being to fiddle with the registry)

    Roy

    Roy S Schestowitz, Feb 17, 2004
  4. george

    george Guest

    Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not work,
    and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic. More
    to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?

    george, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Window$ has its mysterious ways and you should never ask "why". Just purge
    and reinstall. If you are curious, go download the source code which has now
    leaked.

    Roy

    "george" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not

    work,
    > and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic.

    More
    > to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?
    >
    > "Roy S Schestowitz"

    <>

    Roy S Schestowitz, Feb 17, 2004
  6. george

    george Guest

    Well, I tried evrything you hus suggested - deleting connections then
    setting up new ones, re-installing IE6, downloading latest patches...What
    the heck is going on??

    george, Feb 17, 2004
  7. What happens if you select "Always dial-up using my default connection"?

    Ralph A. Jones, Feb 17, 2004
  8. I just posted a similar problem it has happened since I install a MS
    'critical update' and I can no longer work offline nor syncronize because it
    looks for a server which isn't there! I can only work with IE6 if I first
    dailup with Outlook 2000

    Mike

    Mike Tittensor, Feb 17, 2004
  9. george

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:02:02 +0000 (UTC), "george"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
    >newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
    >I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
    >connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
    >"dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
    >IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up selected
    >and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set my
    >default as follows:
    >IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and ok
    >buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection and
    >I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
    >full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
    >threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
    >driving me insane. Any ideas?
    >Thanks

    1. Get Spybot (search on Google)
    2. Run it
    3. Update it
    4. Run it again
    5. ignore anyone ignorant enough to top post

    If you still have a problem ask again.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 17, 2004
  10. george

    John Guest

    Are you running the Google toolbar?
    This problem seems to have been caused by a google download re-skinning
    your google toolbar for valentines day.

    The browser can be corrected to open the dial up connection automatically by
    either uninstalling the google toolbar or going into registry HKEY_CURRENT
    _USER\Software\Google\NavClient.1\Promo where you will see the url for the
    valentines day skin and a ref to a file ggext*.dll

    I deleted this key and the file in C:\WNNT (or it may be in
    C:\programs|google) and the browser is back to normal -so far!

    This advice is posted elsewhere in USENET so seems to be a universal problem
    down to Google

    John S
    John, Feb 17, 2004
  11. Ralph A. Jones wrote:

    > What happens if you select "Always dial-up using my default connection"?

    > george wrote:

    > > Well, I tried evrything you hus suggested - deleting connections then
    > > setting up new ones, re-installing IE6, downloading latest patches...What
    > > the heck is going on??
    > >

    > > "Roy S Schestowitz"

    <>
    > > wrote in message news:c0t25m$9at$...
    > >
    > >>Window$ has its mysterious ways and you should never ask "why". Just purge
    > >>and reinstall. If you are curious, go download the source code which has

    > > now
    > >
    > >>leaked.
    > >>
    > >>Roy
    > >>

    > >>"george" <> wrote in message

    > >>work,

    > >>More

    > >><>

    > > your

    > >>apply

    > > updates

    > >>any

    > >>This

    > >>have

    > > works.

    See my comments above re Google Toolbar causing all this havoc
    I repeat the post if you have not seen it:

    John Streeter, Feb 18, 2004
  12. george

    george Guest

    Jon, you are the MAN!!!
    Thank you very much.

    george, Feb 18, 2004
  13. Well I cleared up one problem by deleting the google toolbar but still am
    unable to work offline or syncronise. Wonder if there is something else I
    can try please?

    Mike

    Mike Tittensor, Feb 18, 2004