    Gurble Guest

    Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?

    Seems to be partially down...
    Gurble, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    > Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    >
    > Seems to be partially down...

    100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    see other threads on here for details

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Gurble

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> had this to say:

    >Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    >> Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    >>
    >> Seems to be partially down...

    >100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    >see other threads on here for details

    Hmm, it's worked OK before...

    Have you tried looking at the Application list?
    Gurble, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Gurble

    dusteater Guest

    Gurble <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > <> had this to say:
    >
    > >Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    > >> Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    > >>
    > >> Seems to be partially down...

    > >100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    > >see other threads on here for details

    > Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    >
    > Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    It was working like crap for me last year, but today it's working fine.
    dusteater, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Gurble

    Mutlley Guest

    Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    ><> had this to say:
    >
    >>Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    >>> Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    >>>
    >>> Seems to be partially down...

    >>100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    >>see other threads on here for details

    >Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    >
    >Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    Last nite I couldn't get past the main menu. The links in say the TV
    Program area did not work.
    Mutlley, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Gurble

    DoggNZ Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    >> Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    >>
    >> Seems to be partially down...

    >100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list

    I'm picturing an IP address with a mullet driving an '86 commodore
    with AC\DC blasting on the stereo.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Gurble

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    ><> had this to say:
    >
    >>Gurble said the following on 11/11/2004 22:19:
    >>> Can anyone else get any sense out of suprnova.org?
    >>>
    >>> Seems to be partially down...

    >>100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    >>see other threads on here for details

    >Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    >
    >Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    It would appear that it's had a name change www.supernova.org and is
    now a pay server. US$3.95 / month before you can even see their news
    section or anything..

    Forget it.
    Mutlley, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Gurble

    Mackin Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Mutlley wrote:

    > Gurble <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    >><> had this to say:

    >>>100% for me, but you may have an IP that is still in their Bogan list
    >>>see other threads on here for details

    >>Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    >>
    >>Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    > It would appear that it's had a name change www.supernova.org and is
    > now a pay server. US$3.95 / month before you can even see their news
    > section or anything..
    >
    > Forget it.

    Bugger, Suprnova was a good site. Oh well, there's still
    www.torrentreactor.net

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Gurble

    David Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Mackin wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >

    >>Gurble <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    >>><> had this to say:

    >>>Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    >>It would appear that it's had a name change www.supernova.org and is
    >>now a pay server. US$3.95 / month before you can even see their news
    >>section or anything..
    >>
    >>Forget it.

    > Bugger, Suprnova was a good site. Oh well, there's still
    > www.torrentreactor.net
    >
    > Mackin.

    I find www.filelist.org the best, their registration system makes people
    want to seed.
    David, Nov 29, 2004
  10. Gurble

    Ferg Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    >>>It would appear that it's had a name change www.supernova.org and is
    >>>now a pay server. US$3.95 / month before you can even see their news
    >>>section or anything..

    Check out Zeropaid.com. I think Supernova.org has always existed as a scam
    to catch people that don't know that the real supernova is suprnova.org.

    Ferg
    Ferg, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Gurble

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    "Ferg" <fergis> wrote:

    >Check out Zeropaid.com. I think Supernova.org has always existed as a scam
    >to catch people that don't know that the real supernova is suprnova.org.
    >
    >Ferg

    That web address seems to be gone now. Haven't got any response back
    for the passed two weeks..
    Mutlley, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Gurble

    Mackin Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Mutlley wrote:

    >>Check out Zeropaid.com. I think Supernova.org has always existed as a scam
    >>to catch people that don't know that the real supernova is suprnova.org.
    >>
    >>Ferg
    >>

    > That web address seems to be gone now. Haven't got any response back
    > for the passed two weeks..

    I was using suprnova.org as recently as a few days ago but today and
    yesterday it seems to be offline. Still able to traceroute to it though.

    Mackin
    Mackin, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Gurble

    GeorgF Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Mackin <> wrote in message news:<T3Lqd.18570$>...
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >
    > > Gurble <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:56:50 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > >><> had this to say:

    > >>Hmm, it's worked OK before...
    > >>
    > >>Have you tried looking at the Application list?

    > > It would appear that it's had a name change www.supernova.org and is
    > > now a pay server. US$3.95 / month before you can even see their news
    > > section or anything..
    > >
    > > Forget it.

    > Bugger, Suprnova was a good site. Oh well, there's still
    > www.torrentreactor.net
    >
    > Mackin.

    If you're going to visit that site though, use Mozilla and enable all
    security features. They've got a script which exploits a flaw in IE6
    (even fully patched) to install a spyware virus which reroutes your
    browser's homepage to a portal site and tries to phone home whenever
    the computer boots up or it senses a net connection. Real bitch to
    get rid of.

    Don't know if it's their own script or one of their advertisers, but
    just FYI.
    GeorgF, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    GeorgF wrote:
    > They've got a script which exploits a flaw in IE6
    > (even fully patched) to install a spyware virus which reroutes your
    > browser's homepage to a portal site and tries to phone home whenever
    > the computer boots up or it senses a net connection.

    are you certain about that?
    I just loaded it up in IE with security set at high, and nothing, reset
    to medium, and nothing, not even a message to say that IE had stopped a
    script.
    Low didn't do anything either.

    My homepage isn't reset, I scanned for trojans, and nothing, and spybot
    S&D and adaware report nothing.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004
  15. Gurble

    Mackin Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    GeorgF wrote:

    > If you're going to visit that site though, use Mozilla and enable all
    > security features. They've got a script which exploits a flaw in IE6
    > (even fully patched) to install a spyware virus which reroutes your
    > browser's homepage to a portal site and tries to phone home whenever
    > the computer boots up or it senses a net connection. Real bitch to
    > get rid of.
    >
    > Don't know if it's their own script or one of their advertisers, but
    > just FYI.

    No problem, I use Linux & Mozilla

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Nov 30, 2004
  16. Gurble

    Haudy Kazemi Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    "Ferg" <fergis> wrote in message news:<41ab9fd7_1@127.0.0.1>...

    > Check out Zeropaid.com. I think Supernova.org has always existed as a scam
    > to catch people that don't know that the real supernova is suprnova.org.
    >
    > Ferg

    Related newgroup thread:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&th=9893bf3d2532adbf&rnum=1

    Yup...suprnova.com and suprnova.net are scammers. They've stolen the
    graphics from suprnova.org and tried to collect money from people who
    don't know about the original site. Supernova.org looks to be another
    scammer page. This isn't the first time scammers have taken over
    similar domain names. (e.g. 98lite.net was paralleled by scammers
    sitting on the .com and .org domains for quite a while.)

    Here is how DNS currently resolves:

    suprnova.org 83.149.65.211
    search.suprnova.org 83.149.65.213
    suprnova.com 207.234.208.84
    suprnova.net 67.15.96.194
    supernova.org 67.15.96.194

    Alternative torrent sites:
    http://www.torrentspy.com
    http://torrent.youceff.com
    http://www.torrentreactor.net

    Controlled access (ratio enforced) torrent sites:
    http://www.torrentbits.org (registration/tracker control system
    creator)
    http://www.filelist.org (registration)
    http://oink.me.uk (registration)
    Haudy Kazemi, Nov 30, 2004
  17. Gurble

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:3122b2F36t316U1
    @uni-berlin.de:

    > are you certain about that?
    > I just loaded it up in IE with security set at high, and nothing, reset
    > to medium, and nothing, not even a message to say that IE had stopped a
    > script.

    That is not a fresh vanilla install, with none of the extras that IT people
    use. Load up a Vanilla VMWare machine and try again. I bet you will find
    a different result.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 30, 2004
  18. Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>are you certain about that?
    >>I just loaded it up in IE with security set at high, and nothing, reset
    >>to medium, and nothing, not even a message to say that IE had stopped a
    >>script.

    > That is not a fresh vanilla install, with none of the extras that IT people
    > use. Load up a Vanilla VMWare machine and try again. I bet you will find
    > a different result.

    it is a fully patched one... just like the guy said.
    no-one made mention of not having it patched.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004
  19. Gurble

    Mr E Train Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    Mackin <> wrote in message news:<L8Pqd.18642$>...
    > Mutlley wrote:

    > >>Check out Zeropaid.com. I think Supernova.org has always existed as a scam
    > >>to catch people that don't know that the real supernova is suprnova.org.
    > >>
    > >>Ferg
    > >>

    > > That web address seems to be gone now. Haven't got any response back
    > > for the passed two weeks..

    > I was using suprnova.org as recently as a few days ago but today and
    > yesterday it seems to be offline. Still able to traceroute to it though.
    >
    > Mackin

    I haven't been able to get to suprnova.org using either Firefox or IE6
    for the past couple of days. Try www.donvitorrent.com. From what I
    can see it seems to mirror the torrents that are listed on
    suprnova.org.
    Mr E Train, Nov 30, 2004
  20. Gurble

    GeorgF Guest

    Re: suprnova.org down? Update

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > >>are you certain about that?
    > >>I just loaded it up in IE with security set at high, and nothing, reset
    > >>to medium, and nothing, not even a message to say that IE had stopped a
    > >>script.

    > > That is not a fresh vanilla install, with none of the extras that IT people
    > > use. Load up a Vanilla VMWare machine and try again. I bet you will find
    > > a different result.

    > it is a fully patched one... just like the guy said.
    > no-one made mention of not having it patched.
    >
    > "They've got a script which exploits a flaw in IE6
    > (even fully patched)"

    It was with a fully patched version. The first time I accessed
    Torrentreactor was about 2 months back, and I was using IE6 at the
    time, which had been patched as far as it could go (no new patches
    since then, so I can safely say it was fully patched). I got a nasty
    case of megasearch, which was a bitch to get rid of. The
    "uninstallers" it put on the system didn't uninstall squat. I used
    bazooka to find it as adaware couldn't see it. After removing it, I
    suspected Torrent reactor and it was the only site I visited. Sure
    enough, after the splash screen, there was a load of script activity
    about installing activeX stuff in the status bar, and *bing* it was
    back again.

    Surprised the heck out of me, because IE6 is supposed to ask before
    installing activeX stuff. Since I checked after removal and after
    rebooting, using Bazooka, I know my system was clean. The reactor
    site was the only one I visited, so it's my only suspect. I removed
    the crap again (the megasearch uninstaller doesn't work, it has to be
    removed manually), and tried accessing the site with Mozilla. It
    didn't install anything, didn't mess with IE6.

    As I said, I don't know if it was the reactor guys themselves or one
    of their advertisers hiding a bit of spyware in their ad scripts.
    Maybe the reactor doesn't use that adserving company anymore, I don't
    know. I use IE6 anymore, and don't feel like redoing the manual
    remove of Megasearch.
    GeorgF, Dec 1, 2004